Are they needed for PvP?

I have been playing a lot of arena and pvp and havnt noticed any of the higher rated players using much professions, are they even still worth it? im thinkng of leveling up engineering for MoP

Engineering has always been fairly useful as a profession in battlegrounds. In arenas professions don't matter too terribly much but you will notice many people with jewlcrafting for the better gems and such. Professions as a whole are worth it as you will be able to make a fair amount of money with minimal work, but it comes down to if you actually want to spend the time leveling them.
    Looking to make money a few bucks from reviewing music? Head over HERE

Deleted
    Engineering used to be the best pvp profession in areneas, because back in the days you could use Nitro boosters and stuff like that. It's still good as there is parachute cloak that still works for hunters with disengage and the rocket.

Usefull and needed if you want to min max, not gamebreaking tho. You better work on your skills then professions. On the other hand they are easy to lvl up so why not to get and use that little boost in stats or some funky/usefull tools you get from them.

What it comes down to: if you don't have any professions you are essentially gimping yourself of ~161 of (x)stat or ~81 of a stat and some toys.

I'd say that's pretty important, if you are at all competitive. Is it game breaking? No, but it could win a match, so I'd say it's important.

Indeed, even though it's only a (reasonably) fraction, they are important if you want to be sure to get the most out of your PvP-skills. Every little bit adds up, and still most PvP-ers use them.