Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    What's "clunky" mean? I see people saying this about different gw2 features and I'm wondering what they mean by it.
    Clunkiness in the context of character control would mean that you don't feel like you're in complete control of your character. For example, when there is internet lag, or when you can't cancel actions. I think it's also often related to what you actually expect to be able to control about your character.

EDIT: At least that's how I would define it (in this context), since there isn't any official gaming-related definition

What's "clunky" mean? I see people saying this about different gw2 features and I'm wondering what they mean by it.
    Default word that people fall back on when they can't adapt to new controls. I've had console players say that playing FPS games on the PC is 'clunky', which is hilarious and made me almost fall out of my chair laughing.

It is appropriate in certain situations, but misused 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I've had console players say that playing FPS games on the PC is 'clunky', which is hilarious and made me almost fall out of my chair laughing.
    Lol, that's indeed pretty funny as a PC gamer. Though I guess they'd have a point when they say you can only move in 8 different directions without moving your aim on the PC.

For example, when you browse the AH if you click an item and buy it outright it clears the results of the previous page. There is no obvious way to save searches, do a last search or put in multiple orders.

Or the town clothes. In order to swap to your town clothes you have to open the hero panel and click the top hat icon. Which is fine. The added clunkiness is when you are auto-swapped to combat clothes after a port or fall. Which means you have to click through a menu once again.

The animation cycles. There is no indication on how long an animation cycle needs to play for many skills. Coupled with the ability queue for skills, it is possible to fire off skills inappropriately or consume a CD because you are stuck in the cycle of the last animation. Examples of this would be Warrior's axe OH #4 skill, Ranger's shortbow #2 skill, Mesmer's torch #4 skill, et cetera.

Those are concrete examples of clunky design in the game. Which bothers some more than most. But elements of interface and UI are not really opinion based. It's about ease and rapidity to be a supreme interface.

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Lol, that's indeed pretty funny as a PC gamer. Though I guess they'd have a point when they say you can only move in 8 different directions without moving your aim on the PC.
    Superior aim > superior movement in an FPS game. I mean, it's an FPS. It's primary mechanic is shooting. Which they were referring to, not the movement. Couldn't aim as well with a mouse due to not using one for shooting before, so instantly said it was clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    You can jump and cast at the same time, I did it all the time. Only certain skills that already move you or halt your movement can't be cast while jumping.
    You can't cast any skills while you are already in the air. It took a lot of strategies using mobility skills out of the game for me. One of my favorite things about my Sub rogue/Feral druid in WoW was getting people to follow me off cliffs and at the last second jump back to someone on top.

I was hoping to use similar tricks using ClonesSwaps/Shadowstep/Infiltrators arrow. This kind of thing rewards pre-thought strategy and mechanical skill. I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed other than lazy design to avoid having to fix exploits found by players using mobility skills to get to unintended areas.
    Last edited by Balfire; 2012-07-29 at 03:11 PM.

Deleted
    Definitely the finishing in PvP. Or at least all the interrupts while downed in PvP.

Trolling trolls.

Deleted
    The whole Asura race. Im not just feeling races that reminds you of babys but yet they are fighting, i just cant take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rather View Post
    The whole Asura race. Im not just feeling races that reminds you of babys but yet they are fighting, i just cant take it seriously.
    More like gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I still don't get the whole camera "felt weird" thing. Didn't feel weird to me at all during the BWE, and the only video that anyone has posted as "proof" of it is just a guy whipping the camera around at a silly rate, then complaining that it felt "weird". Oh, and he didn't like the auto-zoom when an object was between you and the camera.
    I don't get the complaints either. I did not notice anything remotely wrong with the controls. The way abilities work through me off at first, but after an hour I was golden. The camera clipping on rocks and trees and stuff I didn't notice, but it was like that in GW1 as well so I'm not doubting it's there. They definitely need to remove that or fix it, or anything.

I turn on a dime, camera is just like WoW's, responsiveness is fine...

The only thing I DIDN'T like was the ability queue. I really wish that was able to be disabled. I button mash a lot, and many times on my thief I would chain together 3 to 4 heartseekers in a row on accident.

Isn't there an option to turn off the ability queue? If not then there should be

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The animation cycles. There is no indication on how long an animation cycle needs to play for many skills. Coupled with the ability queue for skills, it is possible to fire off skills inappropriately or consume a CD because you are stuck in the cycle of the last animation. Examples of this would be Warrior's axe OH #4 skill, Ranger's shortbow #2 skill, Mesmer's torch #4 skill, et cetera.
    There's a bar right above the health bar that's similar to the cast bar in other games, that shows how far through the move you are, which you can use to get an indication. No, the limits of the bar aren't drawn, but if you actually notice the bar then it becomes fairly obvious (to the point where you know you can use an ability both without looking at the bar and before the bar is finished, without relying on the queuing system).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    There's a bar right above the health bar that's similar to the cast bar in other games, that shows how far through the move you are, which you can use to get an indication. No, the limits of the bar aren't drawn, but if you actually notice the bar then it becomes fairly obvious (to the point where you know you can use an ability both without looking at the bar and before the bar is finished, without relying on the queuing system).
    Read what I wrote. I am not being vague or cryptic. But you really didn't read my post if this is your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Read what I wrote. I am not being vague or cryptic. But you really didn't read my post if this is your reply.
    I read exactly what you wrote. The bar, while like a cast bar, was for every skill, so unless you're ignoring it and don't yet have a feel for the timing of your skills, what you wrote shouldn't happen. No, you don't see a gcd counting down or anything like that, but you still have an indication of how long the animation lasts and when your next ability will go off.

I read exactly what you wrote. The bar, while like a cast bar, was for every skill, so unless you're ignoring it and don't yet have a feel for the timing of your skills, what you wrote shouldn't happen. No, you don't see a gcd counting down or anything like that, but you still have an indication of how long the animation lasts and when your next ability will go off.
    This is actually not quite accurate. Anything to do with Greatsword felt out of line with this, as well as the offhand sword's block, offhand torch, etc.

Not all, but there are still a few abilities that are out of sync with their cast bars (most of the time it's a small bar that turns into a big bar, but not always). With the animation being off sync, it doesn't really lend itself well to a fluid combat system. Well, specifically, one that we're supposed to be adjusting to based on animations and sounds, not cast bars and cooldown timers.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

downed

boooooriiiinggg

I read exactly what you wrote. The bar, while like a cast bar, was for every skill
    It was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    This is actually not quite accurate. Anything to do with Greatsword felt out of line with this, as well as the offhand sword's block, offhand torch, etc.

Not all, but there are still a few abilities that are out of sync with their cast bars (most of the time it's a small bar that turns into a big bar, but not always). With the animation being off sync, it doesn't really lend itself well to a fluid combat system. Well, specifically, one that we're supposed to be adjusting to based on animations and sounds, not cast bars and cooldown timers.
    Ahh, of course, the few weapons I didn't get to try D: Maybe they're being adjusted before live, due to feedback.