Deleted

Recipes and nutmeg problem!

Hey, so While i was doing my weekly shop I was replenishing my Cinnamon as per usual, but I noticed the spice rack had an offer, 2 for £1 instead of 70p for one.

Unfortunately there was only 1 cinnamon jar left, so I got nutmeg aswell. Now I have no idea what it is good to use in or what kind of food it goes with. What do I put it on? eat it with? any cool secret recipes? Sharing one of my own with the aforementioned Cinnamon.

Cinnamon toast
    (ingredients)
    -as much bread as you would like for toast
    -as much butter as you use ( i use 1.5 tbsp perosnally )
    -Ground cinnamon

(instructions)
    -Get your bread toasting to however you like it best (personally I have my toast grilled on 1 side)
    -I put the butter in a bowl, and start pouring the cinnamon into the butter, mixing it well, about 1 teaspoons amount per 1 tablespoon should be enough.
    -Spread the mixture on your toast and enjoy :> :>

this is my 2nd easy recipe shared on mmo champ making me feel that there may have been a recipe thread in the past? maybe it was somewere else, so sorry if this is just making clutter on forums.

OT: Icepops in my supermarket are kept in the same isle as the coffee, and not even frozen aswell, felt weird as im used to them being in the freezer isle and frozen

You put a nutmeg in a ton of stuff, but not a lot of nutmeg in anything. Used a lot in Baking. Honestly, you have to try the spice out for yourself so you know what it tastes like.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Be very careful with nutmeg. It is very strong only use a very little and taste as you go.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nutmeg goes great as a an addition to rich, creamy dishes, especially fall and winter fare. It's great with sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes. It also goes well in Northern Italian style dishes. A hint of it in alfredo is amazing.

Is it whole nutmeg? If so stash it in a dark, cool, dry place and it'll last for a long time.

If pre-ground, good luck. I use MAYBE 1/4th teaspoon in an entire batch (home size) of bechemel, for example. I don't measure... about 8 rubs against a long micro grater...

(what were you going to do with two jars of cinnamon anyway?)
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-07-26 at 08:05 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Cauliflower or white asperagus with cream sauce and add some nutmeg on top. That is about the only time we use nutmeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Cauliflower or white asperagus with cream sauce and add some nutmeg on top. That is about the only time we use nutmeg.
    Try it in your tea or coffee (just a tiny amount!).

You can also add nutmeg to pork, beef and even chicken. Rice also likes nutmeg and just about any kind of potatoes except fries.

As just about everyone else said though, nutmeg can be pretty potent so be careful with it as it can nuke an entire dish if you're not careful.

15+ Year Old Account
    i like my nutmeg in an IV

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    You can also add nutmeg to pork, beef and even chicken. Rice also likes nutmeg and just about any kind of potatoes except fries.
    Yeah.

Rules for spices you're not familiar with: smell it. SMELL IT again. Taste a little. You'll find nutmeg is seriously potent.

It's amazing, and perhaps mandatory, for proper curries.

It's also amazing with any cream-based thing. I mentioned bechemel above (something any cook should know how to make).

It goes great in marinades or rubs if it's part of the flavor profile you want.

And of course, eggnog.

Spice cake and pumpkin pie normally use nutmeg as well.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Spice cake and pumpkin pie normally use nutmeg as well.
    Yes, it goes well with squash-type things, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yes, it goes well with squash-type things, generally.
    Im trying to decide if it would go well in a bloody mary. That might be interesting...

Im trying to decide if it would go well in a bloody mary. That might be interesting...
    I don't see why not. lol.

I drink a virgin bloody mary almost every morning... tomato juice, horseradish, hot sauce, celery salt, L&P, black pepper... a little nutmeg wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-07-26 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't see why not. lol.

I drink a virgin bloody mary almost every morning... tomato juice, horseradish, hot sauce, celery salt, black pepper... a little nutmeg wouldn't hurt.
    Throw in some jalapeno vodka. :P

Throw in some jalapeno vodka. :P
    Maybe in the evening

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't know about that, but it works quite well in Kahlua based drinks!

15+ Year Old Account
    My mum puts a little nutmeg in mahsed potatoes along with butter etc... NOM NOM

10+ Year Old Account
    Nutmeg is also a narcotic, if you're interested in such things.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!