Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Put the graphics card in another computer that you know works and has a big enough PSU to definitely run it to exclude the possibility of a dud video card (or swap the PSU in this computer for one that you know works, maybe quicker to change that.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-28 at 02:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Put the graphics card in another computer that you know works and has a big enough PSU to definitely run it to exclude the possibility of a dud video card (or swap the PSU in this computer for one that you know works, maybe quicker to change that.
    Yeah I don't have another PSU or comp to do that with, and I'm pretty sure the comp store will charge me If it turns out not to be faulty.
    I'd rather not spend any more money if it comes to that, I'd rather buy a new pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    Yeah I don't have another PSU or comp to do that with, and I'm pretty sure the comp store will charge me If it turns out not to be faulty.
    I'd rather not spend any more money if it comes to that, I'd rather buy a new pc.
    Maybe ask a friend if you can borrow theirs for 10 minutes?

This might sound a bit stupid but does the card´have an additional power connector you simply didnt plug in?
    Because that's exactly what the symptoms sound like to me.

upper right and lower right corner are the ones you should be looking for. It won't run if you have these connectors and don't plug them.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 05:25 AM ----------

come to think of it, your PSU most likely doesn't even have a 6-pin PCIE Connector ^^. If you ask me, you'd be better off investing into a relatively cheap new machine. Yours is starting to get ancient and there's a lack of performance in every relevant part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    This might sound a bit stupid but does the card´have an additional power connector you simply didnt plug in?
    Because that's exactly what the symptoms sound like to me.

upper right and lower right corner are the ones you should be looking for. It won't run if you have these connectors and don't plug them.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 05:25 AM ----------

come to think of it, your PSU most likely doesn't even have a 6-pin PCIE Connector ^^. If you ask me, you'd be better off investing into a relatively cheap new machine. Yours is starting to get ancient and there's a lack of performance in every relevant part.
    yeah the GPU doesn't use such a connector, thats why I I got that specific one.

and yeah I am considering getting a new comp, just I didn't want to since all I want to use it for is wow and gw2 and both run on this comp (wow easily, gw2 not so well, but still playable) I just kind of wanted to get a bit more umph for gw2.

Thing is now I've wasted 70 bucks, so I feel I may as well check if this GPU is working before I give up all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Maybe ask a friend if you can borrow theirs for 10 minutes?
    Sadly my only other friends who play video games/dont own terrible mac laptops live over an hour car drive away and I don't have a car, lol.

did you buy it from a shop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    did you buy it from a shop?
    Yes and under Australian law, I can return it to them personally and get a refund or a new one, if it's faulty. However, the issue is, if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure they can charge me for the time spent for them to determine if it's faulty.

a 6670 uses 63 watts under load with an 8600gt using 47watts - a huge 16watts difference , imo i think you need to head back to the shop and tell them you think its broken

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm planning on it, it's just a long way away and it nearly killed my legs last time. So I'm resting and refueling for the trek there tomorrow.

how far is it oO

my own children have a 6670 (sapphire DDR5 version) - and along with the Phenom 9500 and 4GB ddr2 , they play wow on `high` with 2x AA settings , and its plenty fast enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    how far is it oO

my own children have a 6670 (sapphire DDR5 version) - and along with the Phenom 9500 and 4GB ddr2 , they play wow on `high` with 2x AA settings , and its plenty fast enough
    It's like 5km there, 5km back, lol. There's a bus + train + bus but it's too much of a pain.
    I can run wow fine now, and I can even run gw2 to some degree, I just wanted a little extra omph.

3 miles so an hours walk there and an hour back.....

imo just return the gfx back to the shop, say your psu isn't powerful enough to run it, they should return the money spent, not like australia is some kind of a village where they won't do that (anyway you won't know for sure until you try)
    and yes, it'd be better to save a bit of money and buy a new rig, it's not *that* expensive, and the purchase will be more justifiable in the long run
    for example, in this shop http://www.techbuy.com.au you can get something like this
    it's not that expensive either, and I am sure that you can spend even less than that if you find shops with better prices