Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

2012, possibly best year ever for MMORPG gamers! (find out inside)

Ok so i've said this before but i honestly believe out of all the years true MMORPGS (EQ1 ect) have been around, 2012 has been the absolutely BEST possible year for MMORPG gamers.

This is going to be a HUGE post because this is really how big this year has been/will be.

Here's why, lets start with the biggest release/s this year~~

1)Guild Wars 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CB0hheQRg (get ready trailer)

• Dynamic Events
    • Action Based Combat
    • No trinity
    • Instant max level PvP
    • Level Scaling
    • Explorable Dungeons with Dynamic Events
    • Difficult Puzzles
    • Downed State
    • No griefing/stealing
    • Separate Pve and PvP
    • Massive WorldvWorld
    • Personal Story with Voice Acting

2) The Secret World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJLkvZIFdlg (secret war trailer)

• Modern day setting
    • Horror setting
    • No classes
    • No levels
    • Free form character building
    • Voice Acted Story
    • 3 faction PvP
    • In-game browser for puzzles and clues

3) TERA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBftB-dO7Q (e3 story trailer)

• True Action Combat
    • Unreal Engine
    • Political System
    • Become ruler of a province
    • Multi-server PvP

4) Neverwinter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIJXvGs5Sk (cinematic trailer 2)

• Create-a-dungeon system
    • Action based combat
    • The Foundry
    • Flexible classes
    • Free to Play
    • Create your own story

5) Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn

(details will be added later)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's take a look at all the great expansions that are (or did) coming out this year!

1) Mists of Pandaria

• Advance to level 90
    • Play as the nutreal race Pandarin
    • New talent system
    • New class: Monk
    • New continent
    • Challenge mode dungeons
    • Scenarios
    • Pet Battles
    • Cross-server zones

2) Storm Legion

• Advance to level 60
    • 4 New souls
    • 2 new continents that Triple the world size
    • World wrecking Colossus
    • New City: Tempest Bay
    • Dimensions
    • Capes

3) Game of Gods

• New Class: Bard
    • 15 new Allods
    • Battlegrounds
    • Dead City raid

4) Riders of Rohan

• Mounted Combat
    • Rohan region
    • Advance to level 85
    • Customize your Warhorse
    • Continue the Epic Story

5) Menace of the Underdark

• Advance through Epic Levels
    • Level to 25
    • Druid class
    • Travel to the Underdark
    • Travel to the Forgotten Relms

6) Ascension

• Advance to level 60
    • Player Housing
    • Mounts
    • Made completely Free to Play

------------------------------------------------------------

Roflmao do NOT think i am done, now it's time for the major content patches that happened to MMORPGs that didn't get an ex-pac this year~~

1) Qeynos Rises

• Revamped areas
    • Revamped Class Focus Effects
    • New PvP stats and gear thats good in PvE
    • Level-agnostic Battlegrounds
    • New stance for Fighters

2) Warhammer Online 1.4.5

Relics
    The impact of the recent Skaven invasion has been felt far and wide across the land. The increased tunneling and incursions have uncovered a series of hidden tunnels below the Fortresses in all of the home lands. Within these forgotten tunnels laid Relics of a bygone era, imparted with a power that can affect the entire realm. These relics represent a force that neither side wish for the other to hold and as such they have been locked up tight within their respective fortresses. New deployments and camps of defenders are available to assist the stalwart in guarding their relics. With the hint of power and whispers of how the Relics call out to each other across the land, the race is on to capture and hold these objects of power!

Fortresses
    With the discovery of relics of power beneath them, the Fortresses have once again become a strategic foothold for the realms to defend and invade. With resources stretched thin, the realms have appointed defenders for the fortress proper, but have put out a call to all available guilds and alliances to step up and assist the land in providing shelter for the relics. Resources are available should the right defenders step up and help to keep the relics safe. Step forward, claim the honor and plant your flag at the fortress or at any of the new defender camps. Or take the battle to the enemy and steal their relics in their moment of weakness. An arduous journey awaits those brave enough to try, but sacrifice is required for greatness!

Grovod Cavern
    The battle for domination doesn’t only take place on the ground or on the sea, but underground as well! With the return of Grovod Caverns, players from both realms will be able to battle for control of this strategic underground asset by utilizing the same technology implemented recently in the keep battles. By assuming control of Skaven troops, each realm will need to work together to claim a victory. For the mechanics and a quick run-down on the rules for the new Grovod Caverns, see the scenario section of the Realm vs. Realm notes.

For entire notes~~ http://ageofreckoning.warhammeronlin...pdate-145-0131

3) Star Wars: The Old Republic E3

• HK 51 companion
    • New Operation
    • New Race
    • New Warzone
    • New World; Makeb

4) Age of Conan 3.3.5

New Level 80 versions of three instances
    There are now additional new versions for level 80 players of Dead Man's Hand (solo), Forgotten City (solo) and The Breach (group) which offer a challenge but also some nice rewards and experience for anyone brave enough to tackle them. Players will get the choice between normal and 'unchained' versions upon entering those instances.

Final Jade Citadel Raid Encounters
    The two final tier four raid encounters in the Jade Citadel are now live! Players finally get the chance to find out what has been going on in Khitai as the great storyline around the God-emperor and his mad schemes is coming to an epic finale. Prepare to meet your past, and change the future of Khitai as you confront a god-like cosmic horror from outer space.

For the entire patch notes~~ http://http://forums.ageofconan.com/...d.php?t=241521

5) The Last Laugh

• New battle maps
    • New 16 player Adventure
    • Green Lantern and Amon Sure introduced as PvP characters

6) Eve Inferno 1.2

Inferno, the 17th free expansion to EVE Online, sounds the clarion call to war. Inferno invites new players with a lower barrier to entry, empowers veterans with more control over their wars, and entices combatants of all types with advanced new weaponry. Inferno then wraps it all in upgraded graphics, creating a visually stunning experience unlike any other online game. Enter the fray… and set the universe on fire

7) Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

• Free To Play
    • Marketplace
    • Level 1-50 revamp
    • Explore a Truly Seamless World
    • Choose between 16 races and 15 classes
    • City of Brass
    • Diplomacy system
    • Immersive crafting system

------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, this year has been HUGE!! And, it's only going to get bigger! Great time to be an MMORPG gamer if you ask me :P, and yes as you can tell by my signature, i'm stoked about GW2!

What about you??

IMPORTANT: Please no trolling or hating. I wish for this to be a nice thread about general mmorpg discussion and out thoughts of 2012 and beyond. Please no game vs game or anything of the sort!

Thank you
    Last edited by Cts53; 2012-07-27 at 04:09 AM.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Never heard of Neverwinter, seems cool. Definitely playing GW2, loved the Beta, like... a lot.

2012 may indeed be the "Year of the MMO".

They all gonna charge me 15$ a month?

Gonna be expensive :s

this made me happy though ill never play most of them sadly :[ except gw2 of course. also neverwinter looks cool. i also recently finished nerding out through all of tolkien's stuff hobbit silmarillion lotr etc etc so i want to play lotro but i dont really have time and i have a hard time playing meh games

10+ Year Old Account
    amazing post, very well done and it was a good read.
    I was aware of 50%'ish of you things you posted but the rest was new to me

personally im stoked about GW2 aswell

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 06:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkomakko View Post
    They all gonna charge me 15$ a month?

Gonna be expensive :s
    DC universe, Aion, GW2, LOTR(?) and neverwinter don't have subs dude
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, 2012 has been and will be an amazing MMORPG year.

Some of them look pretty good, but the only one Skelington is going to play for certain is GW2.

GW2 looks amazing!! Also, TERA has some stunning visuals. I may have to try that one too.

MoP will be number one on my list tho....

Great post

15+ Year Old Account
    It's amazing that I still find time to be bored. 1 month till GW:2 though, can't wait!

Plus Planetside 2. My second most anticipated mmo after GW2.

I do find it a bit silly how one of the noted additions to RIFT is capes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Never heard of Neverwinter, seems cool. Definitely playing GW2, loved the Beta, like... a lot.
    Me too, nice signature.

And in the year 2012 of our lord, MMO, there was great bounty throughout the land of Web. The people feasted and were sated.
    Yea, and it was good.

Deleted
    Used to be phyched about Neverwinter. Was originally meant to be a mostly instanced MMO, with graphic lobbys in the City of Neverwinter, or atleast thats how I understood it. Since then they have made it into a full fledged MMO, something that i'm not sure I like.
    Sure, they still kept the dungeon creator etc, but I have a hard time not believing that giving the game a full static overworld will not effect the dungeon crawling part negativly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Plus Planetside 2. My second most anticipated mmo after GW2.
    While at the top of my MMO list, or rather my game list in general, it's not really a RPG .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Is it bad that none of these games interest me? :X

2012 will probably be the year of the mmo the same way 2007 was going to be. many lackluster titles that had lots of unrealized potential.

can't say i've been particulary impressed by any new mmo but there has been quite a bit of new releases this year now that you mention it.

just to add, C9 and I think Vindictus were another two mmo's released this year.

didn't play Vindictus much, but I tried C9 out for a bit due to me hearing about it years earlier and wanted to check it out. One notable thing is it probably has the best combat (granted there is much I'd criticize and I dislike the polish behind it) of any mmo out or on the radar that's claims to be "dynamic".

Vindictus has been out quite a while.