Deleted

How will a AMD Radeon HD 6490M run games?

So I'm thinking about getting a laptop for school work.

Just out of curiosity, how will this run games like League of Legends? I'm not expecting miracles, nor do I want to run games like Skyrim on it.

I'd just like to know if this would be a laptop which I could also use to bring to LAN parties.

It has a AMD Radeon HD 6490M, Intel Core i3-2350M 2.3 GHz, 4 GB ram and it'll run on WIN7 64 bit.
    ( Screen is 17.3" TFT 1600x900 )

Or, for the same price, I could get a different laptop which has the following specs;

Intel Core i5 3210M ( no dedicated graphics card, so Intel HD Graphics 4000 ), 4GB Ram, 15,6 " screen with 1366x768.
    For 50 euros extra you could get a dedicated graphics card; nVidia GeForce 610M.
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-07-26 at 07:45 AM.

Both 6490M and 610M are bottom of the barrel dedicated graphics chips, and only marginally better than the integrated HD4000. Neither of those chips are worth paying extra.

Second laptop will run games much faster because of lower resolution.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Both 6490M and 610M are bottom of the barrel dedicated graphics chips, and only marginally better than the integrated HD4000. Neither of those chips are worth paying extra.

Second laptop will run games much faster because of lower resolution.
    Alright, so what kind of settings could I expect to run games such as League of Legends at ( on the integrated HD4000 ) with high fps?
    Low / Medium / High? I won't be playing new graphics intensive games on it, I got a gaming rig for that.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Radeon 6490M is an entry-level card, so it probably will run LoL with lower settings in a playable way.

The HD4000 from the second one is actually not that bad. It shouldn't be much behind the 6490M. According to this chart, the overall difference is only about 10% (looking at other benchmarks seems to confirm this). Getting the "upgrade" to the 610 is not advisable because it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.
    Additionally, because of the smaller display resolution, it will run games more smoothly. (You can expect about 30% higher fps)

So all in all, the laptop with the i5-3210M seems to be the better choice for gaming... if you can live with the lower resolution.

EDIT
    What fps you can expect: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...0.69168.0.html
    On the bottom, there are a lot of games listed with fps results for different settings.
    I don't know how much power LoL actually needs, but it should be similar to e.g. Diablo 3. The relevant settings would be the "medium" preset, and with that you can expect about 30fps, which isn't bad at all.
    Last edited by Biernot; 2012-07-26 at 08:23 AM.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    The Radeon 6490M is an entry-level card, so it probably will run LoL with lower settings in a playable way.

The HD4000 from the second one is actually not that bad. It shouldn't be much behind the 6490M. According to this chart, the overall difference is only about 10% (looking at other benchmarks seems to confirm this). Getting the "upgrade" to the 610 is not advisable because it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.
    Additionally, because of the smaller display resolution, it will run games more smoothly. (You can expect about 30% higher fps)

So all in all, the laptop with the i5-3210M seems to be the better choice for gaming... if you can live with the lower resolution.
    Ah alright, thanks.

I don't mind a smaller laptop, less weight to carry around
    Since it's such a small price difference and both are fine for school work anyways, the i5-3210M does indeed look like a better choice.