Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PvP, possibility of an eSport?

Hey guys, short and sweet question here. I never played D1 or D2, but assig competitive balance (lol), do you think D3 could be something we'd see on the MLG or other pro gaming circuit?

I truly doubt it. For a game to be truly competitive, there can be no room for RNG (Which there is a lot of in D3) and it have to be easy to watch with no knowledge of the game. A great example is SC2 because it is simple to look at and understand, but for the more "hardcore" fans, it also got great depth.

I just think that Blizz will make PvP in D3 so it is easily accesable to new players/casuals, and i think that will ruin its chances to be competitive (Since they from an earlier quite think RNG makes the game more casual friendly)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz already said they won't balance D3 around PvP, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine they would, since Blizzard won't balance around PvP anyway

While I'm sure the PvP will be both fun to play and watch, I don't think this is the right game for competitive play in the traditional sense. But who knows what will happen in the future. There's a lot of potential for further PvP improvements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    A great example is SC2 because it is simple to look at and understand, but for the more "hardcore" fans, it also got great depth.
    Riiight. My ex bf showed me a SC2 stream when I asked what he was watching all the time and it wasn't easy to understand at all. It just seemed like a mass of colorful little things moving around doing something and the comments weren't making it much clearer either. Too many game terms, names that didn't tell me anything etc.

Pretty sure it cant.

Due to p2win model with rmah and kinda hard to explain to someone that spend 250 $ in rmah for a weapon for example that they cant use it in pvp.

There will be pvp ofc but it wont even be remotely close to being competitive or an eSport.

Doubt it. It's not even been released yet. With no release date. It's already been several months, we may not see it until '13. Now that D3 has launched, they can delay PvP as long as they want. There hasn't been a wink nor eye of information lately, only the 'expansion' of end game content.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would require balance and a relative lack of huge exploits. I'm looking at you barbs.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Proj View Post
    Hey guys, short and sweet question here. I never played D1 or D2, but assig competitive balance (lol), do you think D3 could be something we'd see on the MLG or other pro gaming circuit?
    They already said they don't want diablo 3 to become an esport because of the amount of balancing they would have to do. On the flip side they do have separate calls for pve abilities and pvp abilities already in place. Where they can tweak values there. So it's not that they can't balance for pvp without affecting pve. It's just that it would require more manpower.

Bottom line, they are against d3 as an esport and will do absolutely nothing to support it. This is taken from an interview from Jay Wilson back in august of 2011. Pretty sure it's up on youtube.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-07-26 at 09:28 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    given that theres a possibly buy to win ability with the rmah i doubt it could be considered an esport

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Pretty sure it cant.

Due to p2win model with rmah and kinda hard to explain to someone that spend 250 $ in rmah for a weapon for example that they cant use it in pvp.

There will be pvp ofc but it wont even be remotely close to being competitive or an eSport.
    It's not a pay-to-win model because that would mean paying 250 gives you something better than anyone in game. Thing is, for someone to list it at 250...he had to find it. If he can find it, that means anyone can get the luck of finding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Diablo is a singleplayer game, not multiplayer. If they want it to become an esport, they'd have to completely ruin every classes ability to balance the PvP.

The current classes are balanced against the mobs in singleplayer, imagine all the suffering if they had to balance it against players

no, the pvp will just be a gimmick
    Last edited by bals; 2012-07-27 at 08:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    It's not a pay-to-win model because that would mean paying 250 gives you something better than anyone in game. Thing is, for someone to list it at 250...he had to find it. If he can find it, that means anyone can get the luck of finding it.
    Not better than anyone in the game because well in p2win games alot of people can opt in to pay 2 win. So not better than everybody by a long shot but better than most and reflective more of the amount of bank balance you have than the amount of skill or ability or even time invested in the game. I.E pay2win.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    given that theres a possibly buy to win ability with the rmah i doubt it could be considered an esport
    Wrong on multiple levels, this is not a pay to win model since the item was found by somebody and not from an item shop. Secondly the best items are never going to be on the RMAH.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Diablo is a singleplayer game, not multiplayer. If they want it to become an esport, they'd have to completely ruin every classes ability to balance the PvP.

The current classes are balanced against the mobs in singleplayer, imagine all the suffering if they had to balance it against players
    What part of separate calls for abilities do you not get? Think of it as 2 entangling shots. 1 does x dmg and lasts x duration the other does y dmg and lasts for y duration. Voila, you've now got the ability to change one without affecting the other. D3 already has this in and if you'd like to see more of it you can refer to Guild Wars.

It's simply because of the man hours it would take to balance the game in two different ways. Not to mention competitive and pro gamers are very scrutinizing and vocal about any flaws in game play systems. Also it doesn't go along with their vision of what diablo should be. Not that they are experts on it that or anything.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-07-26 at 09:49 PM.

Deleted
    It would be competition of who's got the most money to spend on rmah. So no, it cant be esport.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    By all that is holy do you see that- No No no no no and they stated themselves they aren't going to balance PVP to ruin pvE

No mmorpg/rpg will ever be an e-sport. A game purely PvP such as SC2 (yes there is a campaign but that is a one deal thing) and dota type games, and also FPS games will be the only games to be an e-sport.