Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question about Guild Wars® Platinum Edition

Hi!

So I thought it would be a good idea to run through GW1 now before GW2 releases but I'm just curious if all the professions comes along when I buy this platinum edition or do I have to buy ''Factions'' and ''Nightfall'' to obtain those?

Or is it enough to buy this platinum edition?

/Sambaria

Platinum Edition gives you Prophecies and EotN, which means you'll have access to the 6 core professions: Warrior, Mesmer, Elementalist, Necromancer, Ranger, and Monk. If you want the Assassin or Ritualist, you'll need Factions, and if you want the Paragon or Dervish, you'll need Nightfall.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Platunum doesn't include Factions and Nightfall.
    IMO you're better off buying Trilogy and EOTN to get more easy to obtain HoM points.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-07-26 at 01:52 PM.

Ah alright so that's how it works!

Thanks alot Rhandric and Mif for the response, appreciate it!!

Just one more question, a newbie question hehe.

Lets say I buy all the expansions to GW1, how does the content work? Is it new content at level 20+ or is it new while leveling from 1+?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a base. True, you can gain 30 points for HoM. It will be long, but not impossible. And something good to do waiting one month for the launch of gw2, and later, if you're truly willing to gain those 30 (or 50) points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambaria View Post
    Is it new content at level 20+ or is it new while leveling from 1+?
    You can travel to the north at level 10 (iirc) and you're treated as level 20 while you're there.

The level cap for the original Guild Wars is level 20, with two attribute point quests needing to be completed to access 'bonus' power. As Mif said, you are treated as 20 while in EotN, but will need to upgrade armor, and do attribute quests (not a big deal) once you are there.

Lets say you create a character in Nightfall, but want to run the storyline for Factions. There is no additional leveling past level 20, and only short, short introductory quests for unlocking other continents in Guild Wars. Literally, take the quest, zone into area, talk to guy, zone into continent. Heroes in NF will be under level 20, but EotN will not. They are not difficult to level, just do the missions and storyquests, and do not require armor to be crafted, but can be upgraded with runes and new weapons.

Buy the trilogy, then the bonus pack that includes EotN and the Bonus Mission Pack if that is still available. If that package is no longer in the in-game store, I highly suggest buying the Bonus Mission Pack just as a bonus, for $10, you have access to 'free', max weapons (one time payment for a permanent access to req9 weapons is too good to not get) that gives a huge boost for your character and heroes.

My ign is "Pushin Roses", which is reserved already, and I'm always ready to give pointers or help with missions giving people a challenge. I also have a 30/50 HoM Guide on my Guild's forums, pm me in-game for a link.
    Last edited by Exyia; 2012-07-26 at 02:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah alright so that's how it works!

Thanks alot Rhandric and Mif for the response, appreciate it!!

Just one more question, a newbie question hehe.

Lets say I buy all the expansions to GW1, how does the content work? Is it new content at level 20+ or is it new while leveling from 1+?
    Proph, factions, and nf are each stand alone campaigns they all go 1-20 and your character starts in one of them. At a certain point, typically when you should be around 16-17 you'll be able to travel to the other continents (campaign)

GWEN was built specifically with all lvl 20 content you can't start in it but you can go to the areas once you get to the point where you can travel to other continents and you get artificially bumped to 20 (kind of) until you really turn 20

But any character can do all of the campaigns. You just might miss out on the first parts (like pre in prophesies )
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Alright so I think I'll buy the trilogy package at first and then see if I enjoy it and then add Eye of the North!

So my final question, is it truly worth buying it?

I ran through GW1 campaign as a ranger and I remember I really loved it but it was so looooong ago now so I can't really remember everything.

Alright so I think I'll buy the trilogy package at first and then see if I enjoy it and then add Eye of the North!

So my final question, is it truly worth buying it?

I ran through GW1 campaign as a ranger and I remember I really loved it but it was so looooong ago now so I can't really remember everything.
    It really depends on why you want to buy it. It's a great game with a great story (especially Prophecies and Nightfall), though it takes some getting used to. And if you're trying to get HoM points, then you'll need EotN sooner or later, though regardless I'd suggest you don't worry about that immediately or it'll make the game seem more of a grind than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    It's just a base. True, you can gain 30 points for HoM. It will be long, but not impossible. And something good to do waiting one month for the launch of gw2, and later, if you're truly willing to gain those 30 (or 50) points.
    Didnt take me long only 45mins to reach 30/50 early today cheak it out homie

Hellspawn of D D M ... http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

Deleted
    Guild Wars Trilogy (Base + Factions + Nightfall) - 30€/$ (Steam, cheapest price for ALL three)
    Guild Wars EotN - 11-15 €/$ (cheapest price - steam price)

41-45 €/$ is a lot of money if you just want to grind some cosmetic flavor for GW2.

And getting the required 30 points for all the flavor stuff will eventually end up in grinding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worth noting that without EOTN you can't claim HoM rewards for GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post

Lol. If you mean how long it took to log and put stuff on the respective monument (assuming you had the tapestries yet) ye, true, it's 45 mins

I actually dont just want to play the game to obtain those cosmetic rewards, I want to experience the game before playing GW2 (I wanna check out the story aswell).
    It's just a plus with those cosmetic rewards, it's not the main reason I'm buying it though.

Go to Amazon and buy Triology + EotN, it fairly cheap, and you will get all GW1 had to offer you

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually dont just want to play the game to obtain those cosmetic rewards, I want to experience the game before playing GW2 (I wanna check out the story aswell).
    It's just a plus with those cosmetic rewards, it's not the main reason I'm buying it though.
    Oh, in that case, you may be better off with the platinum edition (if you want to save money), as Prophecies and EOTN follows the relevant storyline that leads to GW2.

The lands from Factions and Nightfall are their own story, and are cut off from the rest of the world in the time of GW2 launch, and won't be reachable until expansions.

Great to hear. As I said though, you can't get any of the rewards without having EotN. However, you also shouldn't stress over getting to the HoM as fast as possible or anything like that, just enjoy the game, you'll get there eventually, and you'll enjoy the game a lot more just taking it as it comes rather than rushing through it.

Personally I'm a fan of Prophecies > all, but there might be a slight hint of rose colored glasses there Nightfall was great too, Factions wasn't as good as the others IMO but was still good (the story was less well designed IMO, as they focused more on PvP than the PvE story...but still came out with decent PvE content). You might have better luck either starting in Nightfall or at least jumping to NF ASAP, since it opens up heroes for you which make the game somewhat easier (though...arguably not so much if you're just starting as you'll have fewer skills available).

So which one shall I start with, Factions or Nightfall?

I've bought all the games now.

Btw, do I have to clear Prophecys to get cosmetics GW2? Just out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post

You did not take 45 minutes to beat 3 campaigns and save up the money to buy all of the stuff in that HoM. Even if you bought gold, completing 3 campaigns takes significantly longer than 45minutes. As in >a week, not <an hour.