Poll: What is humanity's fate

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The rise or fall of humanity

Seeing as this year the world would end....uhu, not buying it, it made me wonder about humanity's fate.
    So I wonder what you think will happen to humanity.
    I will post a poll with some options but feel free to state your own possibility in the replies.

Remember this is about what will EVENTUALLY happen...so in thousands, millions, or even billions of years from now, whichever YOU think is likely.

1-We go extinct due to an unavoidable event (crashed meteor)
    2-We kill ourselves in a nuclear war leaving the planet uninhabitable for humans (long live cockroaches)
    3-We get killed by a hostile alien race
    4-Humanity evolves into a new species (or through alien inter-breeding)
    5-Some disease prevents people from giving birth and we die out
    6-We upload our minds into a computer and live inside robotic surrogate bodies, leaving no trace of our biological form
    7-Some apocalyptic religious event
    8-We live until the universe decides to stop expanding and shrink again. Destroying everything before the big bang happens all over agains
    9-Humanity cannot find a replacement for earth before our resources run out
    10-Humanity will never die out and eventually reach godlike status

Just curious as to what you think is likely the fate of humanity. Feel free to discuss/defend your stance in the comments.

EDIT: To clarify, this is about humans as in our biological selves. When does the homo sapien die out. If we become some new species or live on through machinery, then we are no longer humans in the sense that we are today.
    Last edited by Vasti; 2012-07-26 at 06:10 PM.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking #9 for the fall of humanity. As for the rise, I'm gonna go with it's already happened.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't know if we can still be considered humanity by then, but our creations will exist for as long as the universe lets us and doesn't suck us in black holes. I think even if your #6 occurs, that would still be considered our creations, but now that's debating a whole different topic of discussion (whether or not we can still be considered humanity from surrogate bodies).
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. I think #1,#2 and #9 are the most probable.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm thinking #9 for the fall of humanity. As for the rise, I'm gonna go with it's already happened.
    I must agree about option 9, frankly, it seems like we can't find anywhere close (......) that is inhabitable and would be big enough if we had to consider abandoning Earth.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I'd say 2 or 9

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I like to hope that humanity will someday be extinct (sooner rather then later) but I'm a realist, so humanity will probably keep spreading its filth around the universe.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the listed possibilities, I tend to lean towards #9 as being the most plausible with #2 not being far behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    Personally I like to hope that humanity will someday be extinct (sooner rather then later) but I'm a realist, so humanity will probably keep spreading its filth around the universe.
    That's kinda harsh. lol
    Maybe one day (0,0000001% chance) we will realise that we can do so much better?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think that an extinction event would likely be the case, but I voted for #9.

I just don't understand why more isn't being done to get off of this rock. For all of its vast resources, those resources are still finite in nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post

I just don't understand why more isn't being done to get off of this rock. For all of its vast resources, those resources are still finite in nature.
    This is why I'm waiting for technology to upload myself to Minecraft!

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    This is why I'm waiting for technology to upload myself to Minecraft!
    I better get started on creating the perfect world then, before that tech arrives!

So far no one has come up with the 11th alternative...were my possibilities that thorough?
    I'd have figured I missed a few possibilities.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post

If we ever got off this rock billions would still be left to die unless we come up with Mass Effect technology

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I foresee us destroying the earth and seeing as we aren't really doing much with space programs as of late, we won't have anywhere to go.

I said the last one, but 1 & 9 are the ones I think will most likely prevent us from getting to that place. We need to first expand off this rock (very likely), then we need to avoid the unavoidable event of our star dying, so we'll need tech to travel between solar systems (currently impossible, but I trust we'll find a way)...once we do that we can expand enough to avoid other disasters from wiping us out. I think all the other events are very unlikely to happen.

Deleted
    lol.

On topic 1, 2 and 9 seems most likely.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    If we ever got off this rock billions would still be left to die unless we come up with Mass Effect technology
    True, but the human race would continue and expand in to the galaxy.

I voted that we will become Gods for the lulz.

10+ Year Old Account
    i voted 9, even tho 7 will may happen aswell in some kind of "holy" war where we all kill our self due some retarded idea of whats the real god
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted
    We will never go extinct by our own hand, unless we commit mass suicide or something. But, we will go extinct due to an unavoidable cause.

"Humanity cannot find a replacement for earth before our resources run out" can be considered an unavoidable cause. Our resources do not even have the potential to let us explore space even if they would be infinite. Space was never meant to be explored. It's too big, dangerous and complex for that. Stop dreaming.

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 07:24 PM ----------

Impossible. Read what I said. Our end will more than likely be caused by the aging/death of the sun. Think about how old is the universe. Assuming aliens exist, do you see them here or anywhere in the observable universe? They had so much time to reach and expand, but they are nowhere to be seen. Nope, they probably ended as we will.

Thinking we will never die out? You don't have to be stupid, you have to be outright delusional. Sheperd, the Reapers, the Citadel, and the turians are not a prophecy.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-07-26 at 07:29 PM.