Thread: Monitors

Monitors

Hi, I'm in the process of finding myself a new monitor as the one I have is
    very outdated, I'm running an asus gtx 560 and I'm worried that it might not
    be able to support 27" on max settings for wow or gw2. Other than that I
    wonder whether the resolution of a 27" with 1920/1080 is as distracting as
    most seem to think.

My current screen is a Samsung SyncMaster 193T, it has 25 ms and I've used
    it for 7 years or so, would 8 ms be that bad if I'm only interested in mmo's and
    movies/illustrating.

I've found two that seem to beat most of the competition, sorry about the first Swedish link, can't find an English one.

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/501...Provider_dacsa

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vx2703mh-led.htm

Other than that I wouldn't mind any suggestions for 24" and/or higher resolution
    27" around £300
    Sig courtesy the awesome zomgname~

I recently upgraded from a 21" to a 24" - and I must say that is about the maximum size I seem to be able to stand while playing. The monitor is an armlength away away and fills my field of view. So I suggest that you at least go down to an electronic store and check that out with the distance on your desk.

27" for me would mean constantly moving my eyes an even bigger distance and possible be very inconvinient when playing
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

>link<

Thats the newer model afaik of the one i bought about 6 months ago. Very nice and good quality. the only drawback is that the touch sensitive buttons can be a bit iffy if you don't hit it 100% dead on.

A 27" with a 1920x1080 resolution means a PPI of 82, meaning that the pixels will become fairly big. I'd personally suggest looking into a 23" or a 24" (at the most) for 1080p resolution. For 27" you really want to step up to 1440p.

Also, monitor size has little to do with how hard it is for the GPU to drive it in games; only resolution matter.

27" should be fine for applications and movies. And racing games. In MMO's and other text heavier genres you'll probably have a hard time adjusting.

Pretty much settled for this one

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-2676

if anyone has any feedback I'd appreciate it regardless of what
    it may be

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    e-IPS, 6bit colour palette, 16:10.
    Not a fan.

mind evaluating?

Well, e-IPS is a version of the IPS technology that is simply less accurate, but cheaper. 6-bit means that the screen will try to compensate for colours it can't natively show - like matching two close pixels together to create a "new" colour. 16:10 is argued to be worse for gaming, but better for general tasks. To note, 1920x1200 is not the counterpart to 1920x1080 (not that it matters though). 16:9 will also give you less issues as 1080p is the current mainstream resolution. It also upscales console resolution and movies, series and so on perfectly without any black borders.

Dell's monitor stands also got worse since 2010. Comparing the solid and rigid stand of my U2711 to my U2212HM makes me giggle - the stand on the U2212HM is a flimsy toy in comparison.

the U2412M is a decent monitor though, and probably one of the better 24 inch displays

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, e-IPS is a version of the IPS technology that is simply less accurate, but cheaper. 6-bit means that the screen will try to compensate for colours it can't natively show - like matching two close pixels together to create a "new" colour. 16:10 is argued to be worse for gaming, but better for general tasks. To note, 1920x1200 is not the counterpart to 1920x1080 (not that it matters though). 16:9 will also give you less issues as 1080p is the current mainstream resolution. It also upscales console resolution and movies, series and so on perfectly without any black borders.

Dell's monitor stands also got worse since 2010. Comparing the solid and rigid stand of my U2711 to my U2212HM makes me giggle - the stand on the U2212HM is a flimsy toy in comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the U2412M is a decent monitor though, and probably one of the better 24 inch displays
    Well said, the both of you. (i was time constrained)

It's a good monitor, but one should always be aware of a products drawbacks, or in this case, not just measuring up quite as far as the predecessor, u2410, for which all monitors must compete with as a ruler/benchmark.

It's not flawed, just don't expect perfection.

Thank you, everyone, I was indeed having a peek at the u2410 but my price range
    wasn't quite that high so I figured the u2412 would be one of the better there, if
    anyone have a better one in the same price range I'd be much grateful