View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. This poll is closed
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

56 20.82%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't download much, and my internet is fast enough for everything else, so it's pointless in my situation.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-07-26 at 10:02 PM.

Deleted
    So will this be the fastest internet available on the market when its released? if not what is the fastest?

Just as a side note, I heard that modems with DOCSIS 3.0 (required to get 50+ Mb speeds) can increase performance and speeds, even if it isn't required. In some cases, people got higher speeds than they pay for by up to 5Mb or so (i.e. getting 15 on a 10Mb plan). I don't know if it's only in certain areas or countries, but it may be worth it to try.

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    We'll be stuck with Bell and Rogers/Shaw FOREVER!
    I would take Bell ANYDAY over Eastlink. Unfortunately, being in a rural area I won't be able to anytime soon. While my current provider isn't all that bad - for my location I have their top speed (the only good thing about it is it's completely cap free)

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    my speed is ment to be 50mb atm ( still awaiting 100mb upgrade ) this is my speed as wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    The bigger cites all ready have fiber.
    and in order to access those lines they would have to pay a huge fee... which is why only 3 companies exist.

i dont foresee this happening in the US for many years, it will happen in europe long before us as they already have tons of fiber optics layed out, hence the reason people see euro players on the forums with 100+mbs and in the states here, its unheard of getting more than 35-40mbs.

basically, companies charge out the ass here for relatively slow speeds because they can, i highly doubt they're gonna let google come in and offer those kinds of speeds for that price and comcast/at&t are just gonna "be cool" with it, lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post

See, now if I resume a downloading game on steam or something. I get 200kb/s download speed AT BEST. Seems to happen like after 6pm my download speeds go insultingly slow, can't stream vids in 720p etc. I'm paying for unlimited broadband too so its not like I have a usage cap.
    Virgin media put speed restrictions in place from 10AM to 3PM, and 4PM to 9PM. Basically if you download a certain amount (won't be a lot for you as you're on the lower plan) then you get your speed cut for 5 hours.
    Last edited by mmoc8d7b0ea1a7; 2012-07-26 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    i dont foresee this happening in the US for many years, it will happen in europe long before us as they already have tons of fiber optics layed out, hence the reason people see euro players on the forums with 100+mbs and in the states here, its unheard of getting more than 35-40mbs.

basically, companies charge out the ass here for relatively slow speeds because they can, i highly doubt they're gonna let google come in and offer those kinds of speeds for that price and comcast/at&t are just gonna "be cool" with it, lol.
    Don't know what part of the country you're from but 100mb is definitely available here and in my surrounding cities. However, I dont see the need for $100/month internet when I don't really download much. I'm more interested in getting my latency in the games I like to play down to 10 or less than I am about my dl speed.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heallygood View Post
    Virgin media put speed restrictions in place from 10AM to 3PM, and 4PM to 9PM. Basically if you download a certain amount (won't be a lot for you as you're on the 10mb plan) then you get your speed cut for 5 hours.
    might explain why im paying for 50mb and only getting 10mb

It's very, VERY unlikely to ever come to this backwater country I live in (and if it ever does - which it probably won't - it'll be in ten years), but I definitely would if I could. The website says it's just 25 USD/month for the internet alone (which is just the network box construction fee), which doesn't sound expensive at all, at least not compared to the trash I'm paying for over here.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2012-07-26 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by themmochampion1 View Post
    Don't know what part of the country you're from but 100mb is definitely available here and in my surrounding cities. However, I dont see the need for $100/month internet when I don't really download much. I'm more interested in getting my latency in the games I like to play down to 10 or less than I am about my dl speed.
    i live in the bay area, silicon valley, the tech capital of the fucking country, and ive never seen anything higher on my comcast than 40mbs. im not saying its 100% unavailable, but on average to get those kinds of speeds, you have to spend crazy amounts of money on a fiber optic setup, like a T connection, which is what schools and corporations use, not the average home user.

latency works off of many issues, one of them being internet speeds, the faster the connection, the more data that can be sent to the server tower of the game your playing on, the less latency, they pretty much go hand in hand, lol.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-07-26 at 10:15 PM.

Quite happy with 400MB

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of 'meh' about it.

Not every city where G-Fiber is going to be implemented has disused water pipes running under them and I wonder how that is going to effect pricing. IMHO, Google should have avoided that armpit of America and done their experimental network on a smaller, more local platform.

Google Fiber

Seems like they are ready to launch it in Kansas City now.

http://fiber.google.com/about/

Good news for the American people.

Edit: Didn't see the other thread about this, some mod perhaps delete this?
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-26 at 11:31 PM.

I'm not sure if it's needed. I notice most of my downloads max out at 3.5 mb per second, so it seems my current isn't being utilized as it is.
    For the midcores:
    Quote Originally Posted by Uricidea View Post
    Needing the trappings of success to last forever is selfish and childish.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If you want Blizzard to make the game hard for you then you have to make your position the majority position. Oh wait, you don't want the majority in your sandbox because you want to be a special snowflake.... guess you are screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Most ppl dont even have 1gb ethernet cards
    every machine I build in the last 10 years has it and I didn't even have to purchase an overly expensive motherboard

Just out of interest (and excuse my ignorance)

Apart from downloading a load of stuff at the same time, or if you have like 20 people all gaming in your house at the same time... I don't get why it is needed.

How much stuff do other people even download...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Just out of interest (and excuse my ignorance)

Apart from downloading a load of stuff at the same time, or if you have like 20 people all gaming in your house at the same time... I don't get why it is needed.

How much stuff do other people even download...
    I don't think its really needed...but there might be untapped potential I'm not seeing.

The pricing, if Google can keep it consistent (I have serious doubts), is really good considering that Verizon Fios's best product is $20 more a month and offers less speed.

Good. Maybe this competition will cause Comcast, Warner, Att to increase their bandwidths tremendously to 2013 standards. Other parts of the world have 500 mbps internet for $35 a month. $70 a month for 1 gbps speed is well on par to what the real modern world should be. And if it could be wireless, that would be even better.