View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. This poll is closed
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

56 20.82%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i have 100mb virgin media connection which costs me £39 a month there is absolutely no need for faster than that downloading 1gig of data in under 3 minutes isnt fast enough these days?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    If that's your scale of measure, then you can't tell the difference between 100mbit and 1gbit. Both buffer fast enough for any HD video.
    You do know that the BBC is currently trialing SMPTE 2036 codec for the Olympics (UHDTV) which requires 500 Mb/s (they are still airing it in the old-fashioned way atm cause the infrastructure isn't ready yet for delivering this with IP methods, this is where projects like Google Internet come in) with compression. This codec is planned for wide domestic appliance in china in 2013 and other areas of the world in 2014-2015, and no, your 100 mbit connection is useless for that with digital TV. Try actually reading something about the subject, before you spout more nonsense.
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2012-07-28 at 09:32 AM.

I understand many people are looking at this as if google was bringing something incredible, but have you considered that several countries in the world already provide 1 Gb/s connections? I personaly know of three.

Anyway, current HFC home connections can support up to 5,6 Gb/s and FTTH GPON connections can either support 2.5 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s. Companies simply don't provide such high velocities for low prices because it's not profitable for them. I should add that each and every one of these countries only got that high that cheap because of heavy (too heavy, if I might add) competition between companies. In fact, while some countries will be paying 40€ for 24 Mb/s, others will be paying 20€ for 120 Mb/s.

IF (and this is a big if) google is willing to take those 1 Gb/s lines to where service didn't exist there's two things to consider: The actual network backbone they will use, be it rented from another ISP or installed by them, is a heavy investment. If the network did not support it, a lot of infrastructure will need to be changed. This means heavy investment, which will be hard to pay off. If it did support already, then the ISP renting the dark fiber will be able to provide the same service cheaper and "better".

This is a good offer to spurn prices going down and to push ISPs into improving their cabled networks, but this is NOT the best thing ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously why the hell is is so expensive in the Us for what appears to be very shitty internet.. it's like 70 bucks for 75 mb/s

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 04:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by prankstar View Post
    i have 100mb virgin media connection which costs me £39 a month there is absolutely no need for faster than that downloading 1gig of data in under 3 minutes isnt fast enough these days?
    Bill Gates once said 45 kb is all anyone will ever need.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    http://fiber.google.com/about/
    100 times faster Internet comparison is based on average American download speeds of 5.8 Mb/second according to Akamai’s State of the Internet 4Q2011, where
    Google Fiber offers up to 1,000 Mb/sec download and upload.
    so that works out at about 125 Megabyte per second. Pretty impressive, but only really use full if you have multiple people streaming HD movies from the net at the same time, running a web server of some description. You can bet your bottom dollar, that those that would get the real benefit from this would be those that like to file-share. Even then it will be packet shaped beyond all recognition being from Google, and even if its not being able to download an average HD movie of 5 GB would take approximately 40 seconds or a whole blue ray disk in 6 minuet's. Speeds like this are quite frankly never going to be fully used by many home users, even the most hardcore file sharing people would struggle to use the entirety of the bandwidth.

The average home user is unlikely see any difference over their current packages and people will switch to this simply because "its Google", and unless it comes in at a similar price point to what current packages are then the avarage home user will be simply throwing money away.

I would much rather see company's like Google offer 2 packages.
    1 - an unlimited downloads, unrestricted internet service at a similar speed to other providers on their networks but at such a vastly reduced rate that every single person in the area they where in would be able to afford high speed broadband.

2 - the Full gigabyte speed package at a price that reflects what it is. an expensive luxury.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2012-07-28 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    your 100 mbit connection is useless for that with digital TV
    So that's one case from what, the whole internet ?
    I can load a few 1080p videos at the same time. 1gbps won't change the experience of watching videos for me in any way.
    Also most sites that allow hosting and downloading files, like rapidshare, won't allow you to reach anything near 100mbit, let alone 1gbit.
    Give me one example of daily internet usage where 1gbit will benefit me. Just one.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish we could get that here, we are lucky to get 1mb down here, right on the rim of a exchange in Western Sydney, AU internet is dicks
    Sig by Safhira

Deleted
    So that's one case from what, the whole internet ?
    I can load a few 1080p videos at the same time. 1gbps won't change the experience of watching videos for me in any way.
    Also most sites that allow hosting and downloading files, like rapidshare, won't allow you to reach anything near 100mbit, let alone 1gbit.
    Give me one example of daily internet usage where 1gbit will benefit me. Just one.

I already gave you an example a few posts back, but you chose to ignore that: usenet peers.
    Just like you completely ignored the fact about SMPTE 2036, and continue to ramble on about 1080p streams.

I might just start ignoring you now.

The maximum I can get here is 7.1 mb/s for $35.99 (theoretical. Probably closer to 4 actual). I can't even begin to imagine what 1 gb/s would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingercrab View Post
    I don't SEE anything wrong with it. But any awful ISP can proclaim themselves an amazing, high-speed internet provider.

I pay for 16 mbps with Bell Canada and I get..

With bell as well and this is mine. Skype, 3 tabs and WoW all running right now (not that I know if/what kind of difference that makes because I'm retarded).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2087790232.png

20mbps download, 7.3 upload, 14 ping. Server it is showing from is in Maine and I'm in NB.
    Last edited by Aceshigh; 2012-07-28 at 09:59 AM.

I already gave you an example a few posts back, but you chose to ignore that: usenet peers.
    Just like you completely ignored the fact about SMPTE 2036, and continue to ramble on about 1080p streams.

I might just start ignoring you now.
    And you are giving me specific examples that don't concern 99% of the internet population. Most people won't be able to tell the difference between 100mpbs and 1gbps without some extensive testing.

Deleted
    And you are giving me specific examples that don't concern 99% of the internet population. Most people won't be able to tell the difference between 100mpbs and 1gbps without some extensive testing.
    Ah yeah, i needed to give one example, but suddenly that one example is irrelevant because "99% of the internet population" does not use it, you start to sound more and more like a troll...

Just to prove you more wrong with your own point, heres a test i just did on a rapidshare peer:

throttled my ass...

Hope they put this into effect in the UK in the future, the infastructure here is so terrible it's a joke. Everything has crappy monthly caps I can do in a day if i download a new game, or an exorbident price. Currently pay £22.50 or $35 for my virgin media 30 meg, and after about an hour and half-2 hours of downloading you get throttoled from 2.6ish to 500k, the only reason i stick with it is because it is reliable and no monthly cap.

Why you even need this kind of speed? 100 is enough imo. Downloading big file is the only thing thats take advantage. And 100 is way enough for that over 1000... Prob ppl wanna brag about it.
    Or im missing any reason? Loading webpage in 0.1sec instead of 0.2sec?

Just to prove you more wrong with your own point, heres a test i just did on a rapidshare peer:
    That's not rapidshare and you are using an accelerator.

Deleted
    That's not rapidshare and you are using an accelerator.
    So what if i am using an accelerator? and yes extabit IS a rapidshare reseller.

You are obviously merely here to troll, so added you to ignore now, bye.

Infracted.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-02 at 01:18 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    Why you even need this kind of speed? 100 is enough imo. Downloading big file is the only thing thats take advantage. And 100 is way enough for that over 1000... Prob ppl wanna brag about it.
    Or im missing any reason? Loading webpage in 0.1sec instead of 0.2sec?
    For those of us here in America, getting 100mbit internet is next to impossible. I'd personally use it for uploading BIG videos, to sites other than YouTube. I don't as of now because it is pointless, it would take too long on my current internet (4 up at peak) and even uploading a 1080p 30fps video to YouTube takes several hours for a 1GB size video. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    People out there with shit internet, so glad... Thought I was the only one. Hope Google bring this to Scotland the NOO! or BT hurry the fuck up with Infinity.
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

So what if i am using an accelerator?
    Well, you are circumventing the restrictions by launching multiple instances of the download at the same time. So you just proved me right.
    Try downloading a single file without an accelerator. From Rapidshare.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-07-28 at 10:15 AM.

Ya know, I kinda wish they wouldn't do this. I'd rather have them spend their time spreading decent broadband speeds to places that don't have any. Hell, there are still people with no broadband at all. Things like this just widen the gap.