Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    1) No, because Leonardo DiCaprio is too old now.

2) The Titanic 2 is under construction in China, financed by an Australian mining baron:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...nese-yard.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirguygrand View Post
    I know that I've read things before saying things along the lines of "no, there won't ever be another Titanic due to the possibility of another disaster," but after watching:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGes...feature=g-vrec
    I started to think about all the new technologies that are out that could help prevent incidents like these. If a company put an incredible amount of money towards it, don't you think that they would make sure that their ship was as secure as possible? And sure, you can say the same thing about the Titanic. It took an incredible amount of money to make, but back then, they didn't have as many security measures and the technology that we have now wasn't there then.

I know it's not as practical for travel now, since most people would just fly if they need to cross the oceans, but maybe one of the ship's selling points could be its "wow factor"

So, do you guys think that there might end up being a new ship that is similar to the Titanic? Even if it's not in the near future?
    There was the ship Estonia that sunk in the Baltic Sea in the 90's. 852 people died.

Not as a sea ship. One day there will be massive 1000+ passenger aircraft or spacecraft and there will be a disaster with one of those that will be likened as "the next Titanic."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffe View Post
    Guess we will know in 4 years. They building nearly an exact copy of titanic. Litteraly Titanic 2 =/. They will take the same route/trip the orginal titanic did for its maiden voyage . Just google Titanic 2016 for more information.
    If that thing gets hit by an iceberg and sinks too, I'm going to laugh so fucking hard. It's like, 'How did you NOT see that coming?' Sure it'll suck, people die, blah blah...but it would be the absolute ultimate irony. They'd have to posthumously name the ship the Ironic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    For some reason whenever I go on a cruise I always watch Titanic before it. Tempting fate?

There was a Italian cruise ship that ran aground and killed a bunch of people a couple months ago.

Deleted
    There's plenty more accidents with big ships like the Titanic. Don't you remember the recent Costa Concordia disaster?

Anyway, I think there's a big possibility that we'll see a likewise event in the far future with commercial space travel.
    Things like this can never fully be prevented. There's always room for human error or bad luck.

Making a ship like that just isn't practical anymore, in my opinion. Plenty of other cruise ships out there if you want to go bouncing around some islands or something on vacation and be pampered. The main purpose of monster ships like that was that it was the way to travel then and since you didn't have 1000's of ships you just build big ass ships to pull as many people along as you bounced back and forth across the sea or ocean. It also proved that putting "all your eggs in one basket" isn't always such a good idea either. Not to mention the nightmare of trying to maintain the current safety regs on a ship of that size (a lot of regs learned and developed thanks to these sinking).

Deleted
    i beleive some guy in europe is currently building a new titanic. Same ship just updated with modern tech. Will wait and see ^_^

Deleted
    There are some pretty massive cruise ships out there right now. Last month I spent 2 weeks in the Arctic Circle on a 3600 (compared to the titanics 2500) passenger cruise ship with it's own golf course, outdoor movie theatre, dozens of restaurants and bars, 10 swimming pools, shopping mall, etc. etc. - it was practically a floating city (especially since some of the villages we stopped in had 200 residents living in them!).

There are a lot of safety laws now, these ships have to supply the correct amount of life boats and life jackets and do a maritime safety drill on embarkation but even so, there are always disasters and I know when I step on a cruise ship that something catastrophic could happen just the same as I know when I step onto an airplane or even get into my car.

I don't think that a large scale catastrophy will happen in a cruise ship because of lack of adequate safety precautions though, I've been on maybe 6 major passenger cruise liners in the last 10 years and they have all been super super stringent about passenger safety. I like to think when I go on a cruise now that if something horrible happens, I have the best chance possible of getting out in one piece, as much as can be given on a sinking ship in the middle of the ocean anyway.

The Titanic did not even come close to giving it's passengers a reasonable chance of survival, she took almost 3 hours to sink and left I believe, nearly 1000 men still on board due to lack of safety equipment / lifeboats and inefficient safety procedures, and those that did get into lifeboats, many were incorrectly inflated. Life boats on modern cruise ships have to be able to carry all the passengers and crew, and a great deal of them are hard lifeboats, not inflatable dinghies, with full covers and even have the ability to be turned upside by waves and right themselves again so you've got a much higher chance of survival... not to mention the fact that rescue teams can get to you a lot quicker now in helipopters and fast boats than they could in the 1900s.

It's worth noting that although the Costa Concordia went down (after a hull breach due to an encounter with a large rock) earlier this year, with a passenger capacity of 3800 and crew 1200, I believe only 32 were killed.

On the other hand, major catastrophe in aircraft usually leaves very little time to react and much less chance of survival so I'd say if there was going to be a 1000+ passenger death toll it's likely to be in the skies more than the sea.

New massive ships are actually being built as well and there is a massive demand right now for cruise holidays but the new ones really are being built to very very tight safety standards. I will be on this ships maiden voyage next year Royal Princess

Check out this monster.
    Almost 2 times longer, several times heavier... And it was built in 1979.
    There have been a lot of ships larger than Titanic and a lot of peacetime incidents with a larger number of casualties.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-07-27 at 03:31 PM.

Deleted
    There will no doubt be more naval disasters in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Spice_Islander_I
    This was a disaster just last year with atleast 200 victims.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2012-07-27 at 04:07 PM.

It won't be an oceanic vehicular "titanic", it will be a vehicle that travels to Outer Space that will experience an accident.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you referring to size? If so, ships that are vastly larger than the Titanic sail every day without incident. We have cruise ships many times larger than the titanic, and aircraft carriers the size of a small city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we just have a cruise liner do a barrel-roll?