Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Yes, I have read my post. I have absolutely zero pre-conceived notions about the Guild Wars 2 game itself.

I do have pre-conceived notions about an MMORPG Jesus descending from the heavens. I've been burned too many times so my expectations are low in general. I explained this in a later post.

A pre-conceived notion of GW2 for example might be if I came in and said "The PvP is probably going to suck" or "I think the dungeons will be super easy".

My pre-conceived notions are simply broad generalizations that the MMORPG genre has gotten stale over the years, so I have given up on any new release to pop out and blow me away.

Come on people, there's totally a difference.
    Well, people will always hype the living snot out of any game only to turn around and trash it a month or so along the line. That's just how people are. The MMORPG genre is incredibly stale and saturated now, and you have this awful habit where people just hop monthly game to game and complain it's not capable of cleaning their car, making them toast or whatever strange thing people think a game will do for them. Realistically, it's just a game. A time sink to help you relax and you're meant to enjoy. For some people spending 7 years on WoW clearing reptative content and collecting boar livers they're not going to want to do that in a game that's not theirs. And no I'm not bashing WoW, there's a distinction between a game being bad and being bad for them.

The odds are, you're an intelligent, cautious person that doesn't really want to waste cash on titles that fufil the exact void you're looking to get away from. I've personally installed a fair few betas, trials and demos just to uninstall them minutes later as they weren't what I liked. I judged them harshly, but frankly if it's my cash I'm not going to pay for something that to me seems tediiously similar. Whether it is or not, I'm not debating. It's my own irrational opinion I'm not inflicting on anyone.

It's a shame that you weren't looking at GW 2 a fortnight ago where you could get a beta key to try it. I resisted the urge to pre purchase without trying it, and certainly wouldn't regret that at all. There's only so much other peoples' opinions, videos and thoughts can tell you, and to be blunt if you're on a forum for a game the odds are people will get very defensive and strange over *their* game and refuse to see the bad points.

GW 2 has a lot of flaws. It's not really the second coming of mmos, no and probably not as innovative as some people would have you believe. From a personal standpoint I think it's an exceptionally made and beautiful game, but I can accept its flaws (the personal stories are...meh in most part, the hearts and DEs are essentially questing is disguise with a few fancy elements and some professions need some work) and can't wait to play it again.

Having gotten burnt out on MMOs myself (wow since Vanilla.....tried Rift...others didn't rly appeal to me) I can say GW2s design concepts feel like a breath of fresh air.

If you've watched their Manifesto video on the main website (and are not too jaded to just think it's nauseating self-aggrandizing - can be hard) what you can see is that they're intentionally looking at the main complaints that MMOs receive and trying to design their game to limit or completely negate those things. Examples would be the treadmill, trinity, loot competition, griefing, node stealing, mob tagging...others I can't recall.

In terms of the playstyle removing casting is a great step imo. It focuses on the action. And dodging works seamlessly. But the way the skills work also ensure it's not a button-mashing hack fest. Trust me...if u try that u just die. You have to be clever even in low levels. It's rly quite refreshing. This combat style translates very well to pvp too. And removing the significance of levels and gear to pvp? Masterstroke for competitive pvp.

Is it it? Impossible to say until after a release. We've only seen up to level 35 zones. Certainly people are reporting that structured pvp is very skill based and some of the best they've played in MMOs.
    But if Anet can deliver on what they've said it will be an awesome game. They seem to have delivered so far...but we'll just have to see.

However, don't just buy into hype. Read up, watch vids etc and make ur own determination. Anyone saying it's transcendent is deluded...what on earth is that even supposed mean for a computer game lol? o.0 It's just a damn good game.

Finally........asura rule.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-07-27 at 12:25 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, I have read my post. I have absolutely zero pre-conceived notions about the Guild Wars 2 game itself.

I do have pre-conceived notions about an MMORPG Jesus descending from the heavens. I've been burned too many times so my expectations are low in general. I explained this in a later post.

A pre-conceived notion of GW2 for example might be if I came in and said "The PvP is probably going to suck" or "I think the dungeons will be super easy".

My pre-conceived notions are simply broad generalizations that the MMORPG genre has gotten stale over the years, so I have given up on any new release to pop out and blow me away.

Come on people, there's totally a difference.
    Watch the GW2 manifesto video...it describes the key things they wanted to do with the game...they succeeded.

If the game they describe is one that sounds appealing, then give it a shot....if the game they describe does not sound appealing, don't bother.

The reason the game sounds like "the best thing ever" to me is because anets design decisions are very similar to my own ideas about what worked and didn't work for me in MMOS. However, since you possibly like some things I don't - and since you possibly don't like some things I do, then you may not find the game as appealing.

It's absolutely pointless you asking me something as vague as "is the game good" - because we'll both have different ideas about what makes a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Fact: GW2 will not be a wow killer, why? because wow is already as good as an mmo can get. Graphics and events etc in gw2 are very good and everything but if the gameplay sucks it's popularity will drop fairly quickly, same as swtor, TSW, AoC etc etc.
    Just look at Counter Strike cs 1.6, 12 years after release it's still one of the most played fps on steam, infact I even think it's ahead of MW3, if graphics mattered at all, mw3 would still destroy cs.
    Gameplay is what keeps players, not graphics and fancy stuff.
    So from my understand is you think WoW can never be replaced that its the best MMO and nothing will be better. Hmmm Ok then guess im quiting MMO's and sticking to other genres because ive played 7 yrs of WoW it feels outdated and boring now. and since you just told me that WoW is as good as an MMO can get, then that means theres nothing too look forward from Guildwars 2 or any future MMO even 30 yrs down the road.

Thanks man you saved me some money...

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Finally........asura rule.
    I can confirm that Asura in fact rule.

Sylvari are a smidgen better.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I can confirm that Asura in fact rule.

Sylvari are a smidgen better.
    I cannot confirm this, but I hold it to be true regarding Asura as I will play one in live.

Honestly, once all is said and done, through all the information you've been given, there's just one thing that makes me want to play badly enough:

The game is fun.

From the beauty of the world itself, to the dynamic events, character customization, armor dyeing (400+ colors...kewl!), weapon/skill choices, animations, build diversity, passion of the devs, difficulty, feeling of community, WvW, sPvP, etc.....it just comes together for a fun experience and one you can really play around with regarding what you want to do. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm sure it will be enough to justify buying it for me. The only real way for you is to just jump in or watch enough videos. I've somehow convinced 5-10 of my friends to stop playing D3, WoW, HoN, etc. to try GW2 and most of them didn't do the BWEs or pre-purchase. Maybe I'm just a leader, ha!

You'll have fun. That's about it.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-07-27 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends. If your a PvE'r and have tried public quests in other games, you wont be too "blown away" by GW2 PvE. GW2 does public quests well, but once youve played warhammer online or rift, the 'newness' of public quests is already gone for you.

PvP on the other hand is, hands down, no argument, the BEST PvP I have ever played. And I'm an elitist engine snob, If I detect the smallest amount of combat lag, I will dog the engine into the dirt. The GW2 custom built engine is the best engine I have used since WoWs, the response time is as responsive as Blizzards WoW engine, and that is a technological marvel. But dont take my word for it, try it out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    PvP on the other hand is, hands down, no argument, the BEST PvP I have ever played. And I'm an elitist engine snob, If I detect the smallest amount of combat lag, I will dog the engine into the dirt. The GW2 custom built engine is the best engine I have used since WoWs, the response time is as responsive as Blizzards WoW engine, and that is a technological marvel. But dont take my word for it, try it out for yourself.
    The only gripe I see people talk about involves how it doesn't seem as fast, but it makes up for that with you needing more positioning and tactics (other than don't turn your back/get behind target).

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    The only gripe I see people talk about involves how it doesn't seem as fast, but it makes up for that with you needing more positioning and tactics (other than don't turn your back/get behind target).
    If by fast you mean that combat is generally slow, it is indeed and I think it's done on purpose. When you're fighting someone in Guild Wars 2 you always have opportunities to turn things to your advantage. To win a fight you have to display skill over a moderate period of time (as in a couple minute), although you can win a fight very quickly if you vastly outskill your opponent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the thing is that, most abilities have a build/ramp up. But that build up begins OnMouseUp(), and it registers on the server just as fast. I did a LOT of timing tests in WvW, and rarely was there actual combat lag. I think once people get used to the ramp up abilities, they will see that the game is indeed extremely responsive.

Also, It could be that since I live in Dallas, I have a better connection than most, but like we always say in the sofware engineering world . . . "Works on my Machine". /youdontsay meeme

Last edited by Beazy; 2012-07-27 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Well the thing is that, most abilities have a build/ramp up. But that build up begins OnMouseUp(), and it registers on the server just as fast. I did a LOT of timing tests in WvW, and rarely was there actual combat lag. I think once people get used to the ramp up abilities, they will see that the game is indeed extremely responsive.

Also, It could be that since I live in Dallas, I have a better connection than most, but like we always say in the sofware engineering world . . . "Works on my Machine". /youdontsay meeme

Yeah but not just that, despite the lack of "speed" relative to WoW, the idea of casting while moving in GW2 gives a fluidity that WoW could never really get to. The idea of having to fully CC and then stand there, or run behind a pillar, and hope your casts goes off before getting interrupted was kind of a drag. In GW2, at least you can be trying to avoid/running while casting as they go to interrupt. The idea of always being on the move and not really having to stop besides for certain channeling is a fun notion, and makes it feel more fast-paced than WoW.

Yeah but not just that, despite the lack of "speed" relative to WoW, the idea of casting while moving in GW2 gives a fluidity that WoW could never really get to. The idea of having to fully CC and then stand there, or run behind a pillar, and hope your casts goes off before getting interrupted was kind of a drag. In GW2, at least you can be trying to avoid/running while casting as they go to interrupt. The idea of always being on the move and not really having to stop besides for certain channeling is a fun notion, and makes it feel more fast-paced than WoW.
    My concern is what do advantages do melee get that casters don't now that casters are just as mobile? Melee is inherently more dangerous as you have less visibility of the attacks that are coming as you are in a big zerg at the NPC's feet or are closer and have less time to avoid attacks. I doubt I'll be able to play a melee successfully as I'm in Australia and have 250ish ping to Texas. Makes me not really want to buy it even though it's only $60.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Is this game it?" ...it what? It's a great game, play it and enjoy it. It's not another clone, it has its own systems and feel that sets it apart from the WoWs/SWTORs/RIFTs. I don't understand people who compare the overall player numbers. Why do you care if WoW has 10 million subscribers when you will never interact with 9,95 million of those ever in game? That said, I think Guild Wars 2 will do very well for itself, as it proves itself to be more than what has been released in quite a few years. It's an incredibly smart game, it knows what it is and it breaks norms to achieve the feel it wants. I am a massive fan of ArenaNets philosophies.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    My concern is what do advantages do melee get that casters don't now that casters are just as mobile? Melee is inherently more dangerous as you have less visibility of the attacks that are coming as you are in a big zerg at the NPC's feet or are closer and have less time to avoid attacks. I doubt I'll be able to play a melee successfully as I'm in Australia and have 250ish ping to Texas. Makes me not really want to buy it even though it's only $60.
    Melee has other perks through, many weapons are equipped with mobility and cripples and I think that melee weapons do more damage across the board. That said I think you'd better be equipped with both a melee weapon set and a range weapon set and use them accordingly. Every profession has access to both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    Like other games, if you're playing as melee, you'll notice that some weapons or sets are actually more geared for gap closing and slowing, whereas others are not. As a guardian using a greatsword, there's a leap and a pull-back mechanic. However, in GW2, the idea of someone outranging you isn't an issue, as stated, because you can have a ranged weapon equipped in your second weapon slot. Warriors can pin a target down with a bow or cripple with a rifle and try to re-engage as melee. WoW was limited in that...if you were a melee, you had to be in melee range. If you were a ranged, you didn't want to be close to anyone. In this case, both can choose to do either, and can be effective. You can even spec into it, and make it your primary. I saw options for ranged guardians/warriors as well as melee elementalists and rangers. I don't know the effectiveness of each, but they looked viable, to be honest.

Cool story.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-07-27 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Gw2 will be one more fun game that people leave after a little while, complinning about how it could be good but it failed because of X.

Do you know why? Because all games created nowadays are created under the money making philosophy, they no longer create games listening to their writers and designers in order to deliver epicness, they do it listening to the sells.
    Extremely unlikely. Posts like this really are unnecessary.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 11:02 AM ----------

I do have pre-conceived notions about an MMORPG Jesus descending from the heavens.
    *sigh*

Despite all the TERA and WoW fanatics and other such people out there who like to bash on GW2 and the supposed hype around it, most fans of GW2 don't see it as the second coming of Jesus, don't believe it's a WoW killer, or any other extremely ridiculous phrase you could come up with.

We just see it as an amazingly fun and solid game that we have high hopes for.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 11:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    If by fast you mean that combat is generally slow, it is indeed and I think it's done on purpose. When you're fighting someone in Guild Wars 2 you always have opportunities to turn things to your advantage. To win a fight you have to display skill over a moderate period of time (as in a couple minute), although you can win a fight very quickly if you vastly outskill your opponent.
    Actually, I've felt that the combat in GW2 is extremely fast-paced. Maybe not fast-paced in the sense that "Oh look, 5 guys ganged up on that stunned healer and totally nuked his ass, and now they'll win the deathmatch arena" but that's because this game isn't so imbalanced.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I have quite a few of the same thoughts as the original poster here. Do I want to want to try yet another high fantasy MMO? I raided extensively in EQ1, WoW and SWTOR. I've sampled GW1, LoTRO, Age of Conan, DDO, FFXI and Rift. Of all of those games, GW1 was the game I was least able to get into or progress very far. That's not a knock on the quality of the game, it just didn't have the "it" factor for me.

As someone who raided a lot, likes having achievements to work toward, PvP'd very little, and doesn't make many alts, would GW2 be worth my money or time to play?

Skill cap is large for some classes and less so for others, but it is a ton of fun and you really need to try it for yourself OP. An Elementalist for example has a crazy high skill cap because of all the possible combos and reactionary combos it can perform, not to mention inter-profession combos that haven't even been fully discovered yet.

Also the PvE is really nice because it takes teamwork to down even trivial content, like elite ogres in a cave or something. It's fun and when you down particularly difficult content, you feel like you've actually accomplished something, even though it has no achievable attached to it or it's not a raid boss.

I think my time spent on the beta was well spent. The game appeared to be polished and ready for launch on our last beta weekend. Guild Wars 2 felt fresh but I wonder how long will it remain that way. I can give you my recommendations to try the game out as Arena.net managed not to deliver a WoW killer, but an interesting and unique game - which in my opinion, is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugor View Post
    I have quite a few of the same thoughts as the original poster here. Do I want to want to try yet another high fantasy MMO? I raided extensively in EQ1, WoW and SWTOR. I've sampled GW1, LoTRO, Age of Conan, DDO, FFXI and Rift. Of all of those games, GW1 was the game I was least able to get into or progress very far. That's not a knock on the quality of the game, it just didn't have the "it" factor for me.
    Forget most of your GW1 experience. The games are vastly different but GW2 retains the lore and some other things like skill names (though they may not function the same as GW1) and certain profession names (again, they play differently.) I agree with you that PvE in GW1 can be a tedious slog at times but GW2 is quite a bit different.

As someone who raided a lot, likes having achievements to work toward, PvP'd very little, and doesn't make many alts, would GW2 be worth my money or time to play?
    That's difficult to answer. I'm sure you know there are no raids but there will be large world events that require many players. There are plenty of achievements including daily and monthly achievements so that isn't lacking. I guess it boils down to how much value you put on $60. I would say this much, if you played Diablo 3 and felt you got your money's worth out of it, you most likely will feel that way about GW2 also. I put around 120 hours in D3 until I just couldn't take playing through the same crap anymore. It was worth the money to me albeit barely so. I can see myself putting a whole lot more time into GW2. Don't forget that this is a game that you really aren't penalized too badly for not playing for an extended time. You won't come back after a 2 year layoff and find that you are 3 tiers behind on gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post

[/COLOR]

Melee has other perks through, many weapons are equipped with mobility and cripples and I think that melee weapons do more damage across the board. That said I think you'd better be equipped with both a melee weapon set and a range weapon set and use them accordingly. Every profession has access to both.
    I guess what I was getting at was that melee on my warrior was a lot more difficult than using a bow. I just kept a 2h mace as my backup and use it to cc movs that got too close. I didn't see any real advantage to meleeing as you couldn't see what was going on most the time.