Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2 noob question regarding HoM

I've never played GW1 before, and it's unlikely that I will do so, as GW2 launch is less than 30 days from now.
    I'm intrigued about the Halls of Monuments - is this something you only have acess to when you've got your points from GW1?

Are those minipets/armor sets exclusivly for GW1 players, or can my 'new' points gathered in GW2 be used to get them as well?

Regards, Minou

10+ Year Old Account
    The Hall of Monuments, as far as I know, is only a reward for people who have played GW1.
    Last edited by Terranullis; 2012-07-27 at 09:41 AM.

Hall of Monuments "rewards" are only for GW1 players that have unlocked HoM in Eye of the North. And then unlock things to put there. You can go grab GW1 and start gather stuff before GW2 realse + after its realesed.

I kicked life into my old GW1 account again just before I pre-purschade #2. So I started a new roleplaying to try unlock as many stuff as possible before 25/8 =) focus on minimum 30 points

It's best you don't even bother.

If GW2 was 6 months away, that's a different story. Since it's less than a month away you would be lucky to even get 2 or 3 points of the HOM with the allotted time.

Plus you have to buy GW1 and the campaigns. It's not worth it now that the time is so close.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    It's best you don't even bother.

If GW2 was 6 months away, that's a different story. Since it's less than a month away you would be lucky to even get 2 or 3 points of the HOM with the allotted time.

Plus you have to buy GW1 and the campaigns. It's not worth it now that the time is so close.
    Depends if you have some time to kill, as me. I play GW1 for fun now. +3 HoM points is free whwn you link your account. 10+ is easy to do if you get like nightfall+EotN and complete campaign. Wich is easy in 1 month if you play more then 2 hours / day. 30 points before GW2 hits is doable if you are playing alot. 15-20points would be "easy" if you just do it for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    Depends if you have some time to kill, as me. I play GW1 for fun now. +3 HoM points is free whwn you link your account. 10+ is easy to do if you get like nightfall+EotN and complete campaign. Wich is easy in 1 month if you play more then 2 hours / day. 30 points before GW2 hits is doable if you are playing alot. 15-20points would be "easy" if you just do it for fun.
    "playing a lot" is an understatement.

Just sayin'. If you have a solid month of no obligations, then yeah you could probably do it. But there's a lot you have to take in and learn in GW1 on top of completing all the stuff required.

You can still get points after GW2 comes out. Doing this myself to get 30/50

Quote Originally Posted by Cest La Vie View Post
    You can still get points after GW2 comes out. Doing this myself to get 30/50
    Yeah..but who honestly is going to want to leave GW2 to farm crap in GW1?

I checked my /age and found I have 83 months on my primary account. Just one month shy of the 7th anniversary. But I had less than 600 hours played across the toons on the account. I started playing again about two weeks ago just to get points for the cosmetic items in GW2. I had 10 points when I started and I now have 30 points. It doesn't really take much time if you have lots of money and/or buy some ecto from a third-party.

Just complete all of the campaigns (Prophecies, Nightfall, Factions and EoTN). Those alone will get you a few points. Then take your plat or ecto and start buying armor for you and your heroes and weapons. If you've had an account for sometime, you will likely have one or more "uncommon/rare pets". But you don't need any pets except for the uncommon, rare ones and perhaps one common pet (2k - 5k). I ended up completing by getting all bonuses on the Canthan missions, buying Armbraces to get tormented weapons. Completing the Oppressor weapon quest (War in Kryta) and doing the Slaver's Exile once. Although You don't need to complete the quest. Just go there and give the guy your mats and plat and he'll spit out as many Destroyer weapons as you need/want. So you could do it in about a week if you really want to. Completing the campaigns takes maybe 1 - 2 evenings each. You can go to hom.guildwars2.com and type in Crystal Cleaver if you want to see how I made my 30 points.

But there's no need to rush it. You can still earn points toward GW2 items after the launch.

It took me about 15 days of /played time to get it done, from start to finish as a new player, for 30/50. Spend a little over 12 hours a day for the next month working on it and you can get it lol

Yeah..but who honestly is going to want to leave GW2 to farm crap in GW1?
    Why do people still play old games at all? It's still a good game, none the less. The rewards are a bonus imo

Quote Originally Posted by Cest La Vie View Post
    Why do people still play old games at all? It's still a good game, none the less. The rewards are a bonus imo
    Yea, old games are good. But can you honestly say you will take your time out of GW2 to go back to GW1 to farm a bunch of HOM's? Most of which take a long time to farm.

Yea, old games are good. But can you honestly say you will take your time out of GW2 to go back to GW1 to farm a bunch of HOM's? Most of which take a long time to farm.
    Yeah, and so can Arenanet that's why they're leaving that option available for those that want to

I'm going on a vacation in the fall with a limited laptop. I can easily see myself playing GW1 in my spare time.

It's unlikely you will get the commonly seeked 30/50 before the game hits, but you can get as much as you can before, and you can always go back and continue after GW2 has been released.

As someone that is currently slogging his way towards 30/50 HoM points, I would recommend against it. It is not fun. I am currently sitting at 10 points and I was fortunate enough to have 3 old characters with 5 birthday presents (where miniatures come from primarily) each on them. Out of those 15 presents, I was lucky enough to get one rare and only one duplicate so I have 14 minis with the one rare. That's a good chunk of gold that I saved by having those. A new player won't have that luxury.

You will have to do lots and lots of farming to get to 30 points which is what you need for all the rewards. I'm not even sure I want to continue at this point. Just doesn't seem worth the effort just to get a few aesthetic items, some titles and a few minis for GW2. One more thing, if you want any prayer of getting 30/50 you will need all 3 campaigns plus EotN and that will run you at least $30.

Yeah. It's doable in a month by playing GW1, but it would require a lot of dedication ... 150-200 hours /played at least to get to 30/50. But you can get it even once GW2 launches. There is no deadline.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Yeah. It's doable in a month by playing GW1, but it would require a lot of dedication ... 150-200 hours /played at least to get to 30/50. But you can get it even once GW2 launches. There is no deadline.
    Well, there kind of is a deadline but nobody knows if and when it will happen and that deadline is whenever A-Net decides to shut down GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Well, there kind of is a deadline but nobody knows if and when it will happen and that deadline is whenever A-Net decides to shut down GW1.
    The first I've heard of this is musings by people on this board. Is there any actual source for this from ArenaNet saying that they'd close it off?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    The first I've heard of this is musings by people on this board. Is there any actual source for this from ArenaNet saying that they'd close it off?
    I've not seen anything official. Can't remember them talking about it in any blog posts.
    The only official thing I've seen is from the HoM F&Qs:

Q: Will I be able to continue earning Hall of Monuments rewards in Guild Wars after Guild Wars 2 is released?
    A: Yes.
    Doesn't mention a time-frame at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I've not seen anything official. Can't remember them talking about it in any blog posts.
    The only official thing I've seen is from the HoM F&Qs:

Doesn't mention a time-frame at all.
    That's what I was getting at, yeah. I remember there being the "We'd love for you to keep getting things in Hall of Monuments!", and a few people here getting the idea that "they should keep it prestige and turn it off at some point". But seeing as ANet has never actually gone out and said that, I'd like to stamp out that rumor before it gets too rampant.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~