Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Guildmate just tested it out - ishe says it works slightly differently now. If you pull a whole group of mob (just pulling without attacking) and drop a totem, mobs will attack the shaman and ignore the totem. However, if a mob paths into a totem without aggroing into the shaman, they will attack the totem.
    That's how it's worked for a long time. Back when I played my shaman, most totems only caused proximity aggro, so if the shaman already had aggro they wouldn't attack the totems anyway. Searing/Magma, however, would pull aggro on mobs that the shaman didn't have threat on, because they generated their own threat from damage. Did she test using Searing/Magma or one of the others?

There's a bug regarding lights hammer that should verify that it generates no threat. It may be fixed, I've held off using it because you never know.

If you go to a neutral mob, say the deer you need to kill for your dailies in vale. If you drop your hammer on it the mob will take damage but not actually aggro. I ticketed it a few weeks back so it may be fixed, but they had a month to fix heroic elegon but shipped it broken.

That test verifies that it generates no threat. Along with the logic that it functions as a totem, which I hadn't considered as the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    If you go to a neutral mob, say the deer you need to kill for your dailies in vale. If you drop your hammer on it the mob will take damage but not actually aggro.
    Yeah, that would be because the threat is going to the totem, and the totem isn't attackable, so the deer just ignores it.

Pretty much. There's a lot of ways to fix it. But as of this patch that's how it functions. It's a minor mark down for the talent as a whole. Makes it less practical to pickup mobs but it makes up for it as the far and away strongest raid healing option.

Maybe my deer has an attitude issue, but throwing light's hammer at it caused it to attack me. I'm in a dungeon now and throwing light's hammer at a pathing mob far away causes them to aggro onto me.

Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

It's possible blizzard rolled out a fix then. It meant you solo neutral bosses such as algalon if you were patient enough. There was a similar exploit for sartharion with discipline priests reflective shield early on in wotlk.

Just checked it myself and can confirm it was fixed. Will be sure to check that sort of stuff in future. Will have to forgive me, it's 4:!5am at the moment and I was confident it still worked.
    Last edited by Choice; 2012-11-09 at 06:20 PM.

Does anyone have problems holding aggro? Even with vengeance stacked, I still somehow lose aggro to some dps. A taunt doesn't seem to be enough I gotta really lay a smackdown to get the mob back but since mop I just hit like a wet noodle.

Quite the opposite I feel that aggro has never been easier. Even in ICC aggro was harder, and that says alot. Personally I think aggro is a non issue.

Sometimes I have been tanking for a long time without righteous fury ( because of spec swapping ) without even noticing it.

Are you referring to Raids or 5mans?

Regardless make sure you keep SoI and RF up, its the 2 most important parts of aggro right now.

Talking about 5 man's. Though I'm not 90 yet maybe that's why?

Cant talk about the leveling experience. Yeah 5 mans a different story, your vengeance is alot lower than in raids.

The biggest tip I can give is pull more. More mobs = more vengeance = easier aggro.

Its harder to hold aggro on 2 mobs than 20.

5 mans while leveling 85-90 may be a problem with the level 90 heroic weapons you can get from arch

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    5 mans while leveling 85-90 may be a problem with the level 90 heroic weapons you can get from arch
    That is hardly a large percentage of the population levelling though.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Does anyone have problems holding aggro? Even with vengeance stacked, I still somehow lose aggro to some dps. A taunt doesn't seem to be enough I gotta really lay a smackdown to get the mob back but since mop I just hit like a wet noodle.
    Could you give more information? Your level, gear, opening attacks, what the DPS is doing, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    That is hardly a large percentage of the population levelling though.
    Can easily be one in every instance group though, given the number of people leveling alts specifically because of those weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Quite the opposite I feel that aggro has never been easier. Even in ICC aggro was harder, and that says alot. Personally I think aggro is a non issue.

Sometimes I have been tanking for a long time without righteous fury ( because of spec swapping ) without even noticing it.

Are you referring to Raids or 5mans?

Regardless make sure you keep SoI and RF up, its the 2 most important parts of aggro right now.
    Should come with me then, I lose my mobs from the aoe threat of monks, DKs and sometimes a druid. Don't know how either. It annoys me so much, I almost wanted to quit or reroll. Can't be gear, can't be rotation so my guess is as good as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Should come with me then, I lose my mobs from the aoe threat of monks, DKs and sometimes a druid. Don't know how either. It annoys me so much, I almost wanted to quit or reroll. Can't be gear, can't be rotation so my guess is as good as yours.
    Talking 5 man environment here?

Dps/tank monks/dks?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Talking 5 man environment here?

Dps/tank monks/dks?
    No, normal/heroic raids. Although I've been reduced to 5 mans lately but no problems there. Tanking versions of those classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Agreed, don't really see how you could be losing aggro aside from massive differences in gear. Are you losing snap aggro or halfway through? I never lose aggro, even while picking new mobs up - my Avenger's shield hits really hard.

Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

Well, to me it feels paladins lack that "burst" aoe threat. So what happens is that classes that do like DKs and Monks which got great burst AoE threat takes the snap aggro in pulls = they get vengeance = your screwed.

Whoever gets vengeance gets aggro, simple as that, and since dks and monks do more threat in the first 5 secs then paladins naturally they get the vengeance.

Paladins AoE threat is great, its just to linear, and without vengeance you wont keep aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Agreed, don't really see how you could be losing aggro aside from massive differences in gear. Are you losing snap aggro or halfway through? I never lose aggro, even while picking new mobs up - my Avenger's shield hits really hard.
    /run in blasting with Holy Wrath, Con, Avenger, Light's Hammer, etc, etc

20 seconds later...

/monk runs in and with 1 move takes them all away.

Then I just pretty much alt tab till I hear no more mobs being hit.