Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    @Nairobi

I dared myself to a late night tired drunken abstinence reply in that thread, what could possibly go wrong right?
    You couldn't derail it anymore, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    You couldn't derail it anymore, that's for sure
    Couldn't derail or provide more wrong information!

*FTFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

might be a stupid question, but what is the best way to get gear for my prot pally at 90?
    I leveled as ret and played holy in dungeons so I don't have much equip suitable for prot, and have no really good idea how to get equip.
    I'm not sure if queueing as tank in dungeons would be a good idea (threat issues, survivability issues..), also normally I don't have the time to get max vp and I'm not sure if I can tank very well as I have no experience with a prot pally in groups.. (I only know from some scenario runs that my dps is horrible ^^)
    armory, if needed: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...alora/advanced
    (as I said, it's pretty mixed up at the moment, much pvp gear, much ret gear..)
    thanks in advance, and again sorry für the stupid question..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaiara View Post
    might be a stupid question, but what is the best way to get gear for my prot pally at 90?
    I leveled as ret and played holy in dungeons so I don't have much equip suitable for prot, and have no really good idea how to get equip.
    I'm not sure if queueing as tank in dungeons would be a good idea (threat issues, survivability issues..), also normally I don't have the time to get max vp and I'm not sure if I can tank very well as I have no experience with a prot pally in groups.. (I only know from some scenario runs that my dps is horrible ^^)
    armory, if needed: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...alora/advanced
    (as I said, it's pretty mixed up at the moment, much pvp gear, much ret gear..)
    thanks in advance, and again sorry für the stupid question..
    Queue for LFR as Ret, you get better gear that way and you can do basically nothing

Queue for LFR as Ret, you get better gear that way and you can do basically nothing
    but surely I should change my prot spec back to ret for that? :/
    on another note, is ret gear suitable for a prot pally?
    Last edited by Vaiara; 2013-05-01 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaiara View Post
    but surely I should change my prot spec back to ret for that? :/
    on another note, is ret gear suitable for a prot pally?
    Apart from the weapon, yea. Some prot tier pieces are decent and while the 2P bonus isn't anything special it's still a nice little bonus and getting those 2 pieces won't harm your gearing (I think it's shoulders and chest that have the better itemization? can't remember for sure)

Yes, ret gear is suitable for a prot pally - it's only crit that is not a valuable tank stat; the haste, mastery, hit and expertise you find on ret gear are all perversely more valuable to protadins than parry and dodge. You'll need a shield and one man, but otherwise would be fine in ret gear (including PvP gear - nothing wrong with that, especially the 476 stuff you could trade in for JPs, after converting to honour points.)

And yes, if you were going to queue as dps in LFR, then you change your spec back to dps. Prot do really awful damage without vengeance and it will be painfully obvious to the group - you would be very likely to be kicked.

But my advice would be to run some 5 mans as prot, to get more confident in your tanking. If you can tank, then LFR is not that demanding in terms of gear. But LFR can be brutal on tanks who don't know what they are doing.

Then I would run last tier's LFR as prot for more upgrades and to get confident in herding cats, I mean tanking for 24 PUGS. Make sure you do some IoT dailies to get elder coins for extra rolls on the loot.

I used to queue as ret in LFR as the gear was better for me (or at least useful for my ret os) but the dps queues became so crippling, I now tank. Tanking is a lot of fun, and if you want to tank, tank. LFR gear is likely to be transitional anyway, so I would not sweat too much over the secondary stats.

thanks for all the advice

I know most of the bosses from tanking PoV as my main is guardian and I like tanking, that's why I wanted to play prot (also I suck at doing damage, no matter the class..)

but I think I'll run lfr a few times as ret to get some gear (hopefully) and then run some dungeons as prot to get some experience and confidence, like you said.

thanks again

In 5.3 you're going to be able to run LFR as a tank (to practice tanking) and set your "loot role" to retribution (to get the items you actually want).
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In 5.3 you're going to be able to run LFR as a tank (to practice tanking) and set your "loot role" to retribution (to get the items you actually want).
    I know, and I'm eagerly waiting for that feature to go live ^^

Do you actually reach a point where getting more haste is pretty much wasted? currently at 41% unbuffed

Quote Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
    Do you actually reach a point where getting more haste is pretty much wasted? currently at 41% unbuffed
    50% is the cap, you're now capped on spells with SoI and the final 9% will get you the rest on CS etc.

Hey was looking through the loot tables for a decent shield.. still have the LFR one from MSV...

Anywho looking through.. both 'prot' shields have mastery and either dodge or parry which is kinda meh for a control haste paladin. Anyway i was thinking wouldn't it be better have get the healing one called Tortos' Discarded Shell, it has 458 haste on, obv the spirit and intel is p useless but it has the same amount of stamina and armor the only real difference is that the holy one has haste on and that the prot ones have strength on as well...

Is there a lot of difference between them or not really? As in is it worth going for the holy one or just get the prot one as its better?

Also whats the spell 1h weapon that people were talking about that was better than the tanking ones?
    Edit: realised it was the agi one from Dark animus
    Last edited by Nurhlag; 2013-05-01 at 04:42 PM.

50% is the cap, you're now capped on spells with SoI and the final 9% will get you the rest on CS etc.
    Note that the cooldowns will continue to be reduced, SS will continue to be accelerated, and your auto-attacks will be more frequent with more haste. It isn't a "cap" in the way that expertise has a value of zero against level +3 mobs after 15 Expertise.

Technically, our "haste cap" is at 600% haste, at which point you would only cast Judgment (highest damaging HoPo generator, would have a 1 second cooldown = GCD). One would then have a 1 HoPo/s generation.

100% ShoR uptime is reached at about 260% haste IIRC.
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2013-05-01 at 04:40 PM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurhlag View Post
    Hey was looking through the loot tables for a decent shield.. still have the LFR one from MSV...

Anywho looking through.. both 'prot' shields have mastery and either dodge or parry which is kinda meh for a control haste paladin. Anyway i was thinking wouldn't it be better have get the healing one called Tortos' Discarded Shell, it has 458 haste on, obv the spirit and intel is p useless but it has the same amount of stamina and armor the only real difference is that the holy one has haste on and that the prot ones have strength on as well...

Is there a lot of difference between them or not really? As in is it worth going for the holy one or just get the prot one as its better?

Also whats the spell 1h weapon that people were talking about that was better than the tanking ones?
    Yes the int shield is very much viable. I am using it right now.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    100% ShoR uptime is reached at about 260% haste IIRC.
    I think it MAY be less, on the bounds of 220-240%, which I've reached more than a few times on Primo with some luck on pools It's almost frustrating in how much HoPo influx you have, to the point that you can't even use higher damaging abilities (aka non-generators), but the upside is 100% ShotR fulltime. LOLGODMODE.

At any rate, well outside the realm of possible minus gimmick fights.

TL;DR - best bet is to go for 50% haste as our "cap", after which you can look into mastery for further survival or continue down the haste (or crit) path for additional DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Theoretically you reach 100% uptime with pvp 4p + 50% haste and DP.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

Hey dudes, help a noob out again!

I'm currently using Darkmist Vortex + Shado Pan Assault trinket and I just got Ji-kun's Heroic trinket... I'm thinking about replacing Darkmist with Ji-kun's (and keep SPA one). Is that right or am I missing something again?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Hey dudes, help a noob out again!

I'm currently using Darkmist Vortex + Shado Pan Assault trinket and I just got Ji-kun's Heroic trinket... I'm thinking about replacing Darkmist with Ji-kun's (and keep SPA one). Is that right or am I missing something again?
    For Prot? Why would you even use Darkmist Vortex? It's only mediocre for Ret, even worse for Prot. Either of Ji-kun's trinkets would be better than Darkmist Vortex.

Sorry, I heard there was a drunken reply from Firefly somewhere. I couldn't see it. Do you really want to compare drunken posts?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Oh shut the fuck up you spack cunt.