Quote Originally Posted by Gorfion View Post
    Wouldn't the head you're tanking be meleeing your back? Or am I envisioning it wrong.
    If they are adjacent heads you can easily position yourself sideways - for the others you'll be out of melee range anyway.

But then I don't think it's a good idea to do this unless you're tanking adjacent heads, because you'll have troubles getting back in time to turn the breath away.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2013-06-05 at 10:23 PM.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

Wouldn't the head you're tanking be meleeing your back? Or am I envisioning it wrong.
    They have a crazy melee range

Hmm I'll have to try that this weekend then, I wonder if we can get 1 breath heads. Also since we do GRGRGRG strat we're always tanking adjacent heads.

Hmm I'll have to try that this weekend then, I wonder if we can get 1 breath heads. Also since we do GRGRGRG strat we're always tanking adjacent heads.
    I really don't think you should be doing that many green heads though.
    Armories:

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    I really don't think you should be doing that many green heads though.
    With the risk of sounding elitist here, but just the brutal truth.

Its a way to reduce the fight from a retard check to a gear check my eliminating the frost beam. For a guild with 0 tactical skills whatsoever that is probably the easiest order.

We used this strategy several times and found it easier in some groups/pugs.
    Last edited by Firefly33; 2013-06-05 at 11:26 PM.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

Ya I know that. Still think you should just do it the right way and learn to handle the blue beam rather than burdening your healers with a bazillion green nukes ~
    Armories:

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Ya I know that. Still think you should just do it the right way and learn to handle the blue beam rather than burdening your healers with a bazillion green nukes ~
    At this point in the tier it's just easier that way. Practically Patchwerk, and if you 3-heal and Lust the 7th head then the damage only gets at all "scary" on the 6th head. Don't have to think a bit, just cycle a few cooldowns.

What would you have instead in, say, a normal mode pug? GRGRBRG?

Idk - we always did brgbrgb because I was like 50k dps ahead of the other tank and that way we could ensure that the right head got the extra dps and our healers were crying oom every time we started with green.
    Armories:

I know full well the GRGRGRG strat isn't ideal, my main's guild does the "proper" strat. But we found it worked better for us as we have strong healers but some dps who aren't the most raid-aware. We've done it this way for weeks now, it was extremely punishing on the healers the first week but now that we get fewer breaths and people have more gear it's quite easy.

How is shield of the righteous used? Its only a what, 2-3 sec buff? Does that mean its only used when u know damage is coming that moment and WoG the rest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    If rogues become shit, all they can become is a different type of shit.

Hold for a big physical attack (triple puncture, talon rake etc), the application of a dangerous physical DoT effect (like the one at Durumu) or simply use for a melee swing. Properly timed you can cover two melee swings out of three with it.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    How is shield of the righteous used? Its only a what, 2-3 sec buff? Does that mean its only used when u know damage is coming that moment and WoG the rest?
    The buff is really short, I know - it's hard to get used to at first. I would much prefer something that was a little longer. However, we are where we are.

You are right that we should use shotr when we know when damage is coming (a predictable damage spike) but I think it's a mistake to use WoG for the rest. Generally speaking, there are two situations - the second being more common:

Situation 1: There are some fights where there is a predictable, regular, heavy attack that you really want to catch with shotr. Things like Horridon's triple puncture and the Sha's thrash. Because the buff is so short, it is quite tricky to synchronise your shotr with the attack. With Sha, he has a little buff icon that warns you when the thrash is about to land, so I found it easy to press shotr when I saw the icon and generally caught them. With Horridon, it's a bit harder - I try to look at DBMs timer warnings and with practice you can predict the puncture's (he often seems to do one just after he's done his front/back aoe thing). I'm not as accomplished as some here, however, and do miss some. For these kinds of situations, I find it's best not to use shotr as soon as you can but rather pool a bit of holy power to make sure you have enough for when you need it.

Situation 2: More generally, you face a lot of physical damage and want to use shotr to mitigate it. The best thing here is probably to get to 5 holy power and then use your shield. That will drop you down to 2 holy power, so one CS/hotr/J and you will back up to three and can use a second shield promptly if you are in trouble. Otherwise, just keep generating more holy power to get back to 5, then use shotr again. I use weakauras to give me a sound "ping" when I have 5 holy power, so I am not wasting it.

When it comes to wog, this tends to be for emergencies or for magic attacks that shotr does not help with; for example Megara's breath attacks. Bear in mind that the heal is much more powerful if you have 5 bastions of glory (i.e. have done 5 shotrs), so it's a good idea to track that. (Again, I use weakauras for that - Theck has provided some nice strings you can import for it on his Sacred Duty blog.) A 5 stack wog can be regarded as a mini-cool down for one of Meg's breaths (unglyphed divine protection could cover the other). It's a another reason why shotr should be our go-to use of holy power rather than WoG. It banks up bastions of glory so when we really need a heal, there will be a powerful one available. Someone (Butler Log?) recently described a WoG with 5 stacks of bastions of glory as like a mini-lay on hands.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the shotr buff stacks. So while one shotr only lasts 2-3 seconds, if you cast several in quick succession with the Holy Avenger talent, you could be covered by the buff for about 20-30 seconds. This could be useful as a cooldown to cover a phase of heavy damage - e.g. when Horridon enrages after Jalak dies. You could chain HA, then GoAK, then AD to cover you for about a minute or so.

a mini-cool down for one of Meg's breaths (unglyphed divine protection could cover the other).
    Hand of Purity the first, Divine Protection the second, Hand of Purity the third. If you get a fourth your DPS suck and need to wake up.

5BG 3HP WoG IS, to all intentions, Lay on Hands. I've seen it crit for over 600k and, with cooldowns stacked up (wings, priest cheat death), heal non-crit for about 500k. Use it wisely.
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2013-06-07 at 10:14 AM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Hand of Purity the first, Divine Protection the second, Hand of Purity the third. If you get a fourth your DPS suck and need to wake up.
    HoPur doesn't reduce the Fire DoT, ofc. I run UbS for this fight, with glyphed DivProt for better uptime. With the gear upgrades, you should be able to push before 3 breaths. I usually use no CD (or a HS maybe) on the first breath, DP on 2nd, dead by 3rd. Later on, I'll go DivProt on first, GoAK or AD/WoG on 2nd, dead by 3rd. But YMMV.

5BG 3HP WoG IS, to all intentions, Lay on Hands. I've seen it crit for over 600k and, with cooldowns stacked up (wings, priest cheat death), heal non-crit for about 500k. Use it wisely.
    Yep, the amount of healing from a 5 BOG WOG is insane, even 1-2 HoPo (after a ShotR cast, still low, oshit moment) will be 300-450k heal.

On an unrelated note - Which neck, rings and boots are you guys using?

Currently I'm still rocking the 522 valor neck (may upgrade it), as I can't find anything else really worth a damn. Any suggestions?
    Was using the valor ring and 522 Primo ring, but we got a H TF JinRohk ring on Tues, and I didn't want to see it sharded. Thinking of replacing the valor ring with it (541 dodge/exp vs 522 haste/crit), and then hope for a 535+ Primo ring. I'd really like the RaDen ring (haste/exp w/ socket), but I'm sitting for that fight sadly (because monk).
    Still using the 522+8 crafted haste/mast boots. I can't find anything worthwhile; twins boots (haste/crit) with ONE socket and a shitty bonus. I guess the RaDen boots would be nice, but subpar itemization and again I'm sitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Twins thunderforged necklace, durumu ring, shado pan dps ring.

I consider the haste/mastery boots to be BiS, even without the VP upgrades.
    Not had much luck with loot :/
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2013-06-07 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

Currently I'm still rocking the 522 valor neck (may upgrade it), as I can't find anything else really worth a damn. Any suggestions?
    Was using the valor ring and 522 Primo ring, but we got a H TF JinRohk ring on Tues, and I didn't want to see it sharded. Thinking of replacing the valor ring with it (541 dodge/exp vs 522 haste/crit), and then hope for a 535+ Primo ring. I'd really like the RaDen ring (haste/exp w/ socket), but I'm sitting for that fight sadly (because monk).
    Still using the 522+8 crafted haste/mast boots. I can't find anything worthwhile; twins boots (haste/crit) with ONE socket and a shitty bonus. I guess the RaDen boots would be nice, but subpar itemization and again I'm sitting.
    Valor neck
    Valor Ring
    Primo ring
    Crafted boots

Decided to upgrade these slots. We're 4/13H so I don't think i'll be seeing any upgrades for these 4 slots anytime soon.

Also, Jin'Rokh needs to drop my belt already. Haven't seen it drop once since ToT came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    HoPur doesn't reduce the Fire DoT, ofc. I run UbS for this fight, with glyphed DivProt for better uptime. With the gear upgrades, you should be able to push before 3 breaths. I usually use no CD (or a HS maybe) on the first breath, DP on 2nd, dead by 3rd. Later on, I'll go DivProt on first, GoAK or AD/WoG on 2nd, dead by 3rd. But YMMV.
    HoPur doesn't works against the dot, but not the breath. Better off using UbS for this to make sure you have Divine Prot up more often (fyi, I unglyph DP for this as I'm only using it for breaths. You should be fine against the head's melee with just SotR, as most of the damage you're going to take is magical.)

TF Twin Consorts Neck, TF Durumu Ring, Primordius Ring, Crafted BS Boots. The boots are going to be BiS until probably Ra-den... even then it might not over take the crafted. Actually, now that I compare crafted with TF Ra-den with 2x upgrade, 2x 320 gems and reforged to max mastery/haste... you trade 492 haste (Crafted boots) for 363 str/241 stam/314 mast/234 armor/481 dodge.

Of course, that assumes that one will kill Ra'den before the next content patch...

Haste shield (522) from tortos dropped and we don't have any holy paladin or resto shaman so I took it; it seems that the stam/armor and haste would make it worthwhile over my previous 502 dodge/parry shield from MSV. Am I correct? It seems weird to have an int piece but it's not like the strength does that much for us.

Haste shield (522) from tortos dropped and we don't have any holy paladin or resto shaman so I took it; it seems that the stam/armor and haste would make it worthwhile over my previous 502 dodge/parry shield from MSV. Am I correct? It seems weird to have an int piece but it's not like the strength does that much for us.
    It's fine. Arguably it's better than any other 522 shield.