The increase in frequency of shields scales linearly with your spell-haste so long as you refresh the buff duration before it expires (give it an infinite duration). You only "get extra shields" if you cast it once, and then let it expire (giving it a finite duration).

SS scales with spell haste, that is correct.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Thank Rie but we already got the kill (though it was messy as fuck by the end, we really ought to replace one of our healers)!

7 heroics down by now.. Gonna give some tries on HC Twins tomorrow as we already had those little shits down to 20% but we ought to pick another one for progression... Would you guys say Durumu is worth it? We engaged him on heroic by mistake and decided to go along with it just for the lulz and got him down to 60% before the first light phase so he doesn't seem THAT bad... Or should we just focus Primordius next?

I'd go with Durumu. Primordius can be really frustrating with the big blob spawning next to the boss.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    I'd go with Durumu. Primordius can be really frustrating with the big blob spawning next to the boss.
    What's to be done about this? We were taking some cracks at 25 H Primo, only about 10 pulls total, so I was able to get a modest feel of the fight. One thing that always loomed was the prospect of an unlucky blob spawn; I can't discern any pattern to the spawns at all so it looks totally up to chance. When watching kill videos I notice tanks kiting Primo around the room but what's stopping an add from spawning directly on top of him? That only happened to us once on our attempts but I want to do what I can to lessen its likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by trystero View Post
    What's to be done about this? We were taking some cracks at 25 H Primo, only about 10 pulls total, so I was able to get a modest feel of the fight. One thing that always loomed was the prospect of an unlucky blob spawn; I can't discern any pattern to the spawns at all so it looks totally up to chance. When watching kill videos I notice tanks kiting Primo around the room but what's stopping an add from spawning directly on top of him? That only happened to us once on our attempts but I want to do what I can to lessen its likelihood.
    Basically nothing. However i'll take a guess and say that he can't spawn in the same pool twice. Regardless just spam the target macro and taunt asap.

Ya I noticed that when I started tanking Horridon on my paladin since last week.
    Fight's a joke for protadins - as long as you got every triple puncture covered with ShoR you don't even need to dispel the debuff.
    We spent our first proper night on Iron Qon 25H yesterday and got him down. I finally managed to convince my raidleader to let me solotank the boss, and I was happy with the results. I feared that external HoPs might be required but it seems that I managed clearing everything by myself. More fun than Horridon for sure. I was disappointed with doing only 260k dps, however. Expected more, tbh.
    Also, when we finished clearing the instance, my co-tank died on 2nd intermission on Lei Shen, resulting in me solotanking boss in p3 and reaching rank 7 on WoL for that fight. I'm a one happy paladin now, that's my second top-10 world ranking (first was ranking 9 on WotE-10 back in t14 days).

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 11:58 AM ----------

Your health is enough; I'm at about 745k buffed in 25 H.
    That's kinda low. Unless you are saying "buffed" and not counting 10% hp from Ancestral Fortitude or whatever that shaman thing is called. I'm usually running around 830k with that. Not using stam trinkets or anything, just 1 jc stamina gem.
    Lethora, 90 Protection Paladin, Shadowsong-EU
    Amberglow, 90 Assassination Rogue, Shadowsong-EU
    Raiding 25man, 10hrs/week, 14/14H.

You can probably try 3 tanking it on 25H and spread out the 2 tanks that are not on primo.
    Otherwise you just need some practice to avoid random blob wipes most of the time.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

You can probably try 3 tanking it on 25H and spread out the 2 tanks that are not on primo.
    Otherwise you just need some practice to avoid random blob wipes most of the time.
    Yeah that's what we did do. It's not like it was a problem - only happened once to us - but it's just something I want to be prepared for because it must be frustrating as all hell to at the 6 minute mark face an unlucky spawn and do it all over.

That's kinda low. Unless you are saying "buffed" and not counting 10% hp from Ancestral Fortitude or whatever that shaman thing is called. I'm usually running around 830k with that. Not using stam trinkets or anything, just 1 jc stamina gem.
    I mean with Fortitude, Flask, and Food. Have never had any problems with survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by ccqpuodp View Post
    Dark Animus 10 heroic with 2 tanks. I'm the one running around filling up the massives before the first siphon. When do you bubble off the explosive slam stacks? I usually did it after the second massive was full, but tbh I'm not exactly sure when I should. The slams were hurting by that point, but I was thinking I should do it even earlier so my Divine Shield will be up sooner, since HoP doesn't clear them.

The other tank took the two massives before the 4th siphon to kill some inactive large and refill their anima.
    Not sure what comp you're running, but when we tried it 2tanking, I bubbled stacks at 7. However, it wasn't back up again quick enough, so I had to ping-pong with the MT, which just got messy. 3 tanking is so much easier.

Anyhow, if you insist on 2-tank, 7 (maaaybe 8) is as high as you can safely go, but they tend to align so you get 2 in rapid succession, which really sucks

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Thank Rie but we already got the kill (though it was messy as fuck by the end, we really ought to replace one of our healers)!

7 heroics down by now.. Gonna give some tries on HC Twins tomorrow as we already had those little shits down to 20% but we ought to pick another one for progression... Would you guys say Durumu is worth it? We engaged him on heroic by mistake and decided to go along with it just for the lulz and got him down to 60% before the first light phase so he doesn't seem THAT bad... Or should we just focus Primordius next?
    Grats! Twins is really pretty easy if you have decent DPS. I think we 2-shot it the first night we tried it. Durumu was also WAY easier than Primo for us (not sure why, I think we were over-thinking the fight), and is overall quite easy if you have raiders who aren't failing at ground-effect-awareness. For reference, you should aim for sub 50% by the first maze (with lust at the start), since the life drains from then on will likely set you back a bit. I think we get him to ~25% now, but thats with a lot of gear. We 1tank/3healed for our first kills, just a bit more stable than 2. Bubble at 7+ stacks.

It's 100% random, and sucks. Since you're 25, you can/should 3tank to be safe, and have the non-tanking tanks on opposite sides of primo to intercept the big guy. He moves pretty slow (unless you have a goddamn brewmaster with his troll taunt!) so you'll have plenty of time. Sit the add in the middle of the room and cleave off of him while kiting primo in a circle along the grate.

We struggeld with the fight because of tank comp, meaning the BrM taunt/runspeed thing kept causing the add to go flying past the monk (and towards the boss) before it's AI recognized that it had been taunted. Prob 30+ wipes to that ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Thanks for all the tips, finally killed HC Twins!

Also, regarding something that I asked about them like a week ago: At one point my offtank died and I still managed to hold Suen until dusk phase, I got to about 8 stacks of fan of flames which didn't seem half as bad as I thought it would be through cooldown chaining (plus healer's). Unglyphed DP really worked wonders. It's still a bit risky to solo tank HC twins but with higher ilvl and DPS I think it's probably doable (with 3 healers ofc).

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, finally killed HC Twins!

Also, regarding something that I asked about them like a week ago: At one point my offtank died and I still managed to hold Suen until dusk phase, I got to about 8 stacks of fan of flames which didn't seem half as bad as I thought it would be through cooldown chaining (plus healer's). Unglyphed DP really worked wonders. It's still a bit risky to solo tank HC twins but with higher ilvl and DPS I think it's probably doable (with 3 healers ofc).
    Damage of the Fan is laughable in 10man. I was able to solo tank the boss getting up to 8 stacks of fan easily without any external CDs, whilst on 25man I tend to get almost oneshot at 4th stack through CDs. That's on normal but I assume it's fairly similar for heroic.
    Lethora, 90 Protection Paladin, Shadowsong-EU
    Amberglow, 90 Assassination Rogue, Shadowsong-EU
    Raiding 25man, 10hrs/week, 14/14H.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    Damage of the Fan is laughable in 10man. I was able to solo tank the boss getting up to 8 stacks of fan easily without any external CDs, whilst on 25man I tend to get almost oneshot at 4th stack through CDs. That's on normal but I assume it's fairly similar for heroic.
    agree - we had our first couple of pulls on twins 25man hc last night after downing iron Qon (meh died during last phase :/) - damage in P1 is laughable and definately 1 tankable, however in P2 with a few fan stacks the fire damage really zooms up and dont think it will be solo tankable this tier. Hope to get this or magera down next reset.
    Keeping it url since 1864.

We managed to kill 25H Twins last night in 15 pulls (woo!), and yeah... Fan was pooping on me with 3 stacks with cd's. I could foresee taking 4 stacks, but I would need to stack at least 2 CD's to live... probably 3 to be safe.

We did just have our Dk tank just pick up all of the beasts of nightmare, since I did more single target dps it helped get Lu'lin around 38-40% hp before the first day phase. A bunch of our wipes were due to her not throwing a second Ice Comet out before doing Nuclear detonation.

Can you not just heal through it on 25?

We have a 50/50 comet chance in 10man, and we used to get pissed and wipe when she wouldn't spawn the second comet. Instead, we just started always using the first (instead of trying to save it) and then either 1) getting a 2nd comet to hide behind, or 2) stacking up and healing through it. If you use tiger, you can bring inferno down to 4 ticks, 3 sec apart which makes it really trivial.

In 10, anyway.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

I tried to humor our RL and not stand next to a comet if the timer didn't line up, "so we can have something to stand behind", and we got pooped on like Randall from Zach and Miri. Once I reminded them that the boss having 3-4 stacks and using CD's was better than the boss having 17+ with meteor+cd's, we got a kill two pulls later.

Surprisingly, sitting at 8/13... I can honestly say that I don't really have a favorite fight to tank so far. Some of them are a bit more hectic than others, which is both good and bad. Council, Megaera, and Qon are probably up there though, really looking forward to doing Durumu.

Not having the second comet for the first nucleus is due to raid being too much spread out, causing very long charges of flames, and thus delaying the cast of the comet whereas nucleus is a set timer-triggered-ability.

Keep your casters/healers closer to the boss and you'll be fine.

Found this on maintankadin, props to them!

Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    I tried to humor our RL and not stand next to a comet if the timer didn't line up, "so we can have something to stand behind", and we got pooped on like Randall from Zach and Miri. Once I reminded them that the boss having 3-4 stacks and using CD's was better than the boss having 17+ with meteor+cd's, we got a kill two pulls later.
    LOL @ bold. Also, Grats.

Surprisingly, sitting at 8/13... I can honestly say that I don't really have a favorite fight to tank so far. Some of them are a bit more hectic than others, which is both good and bad. Council, Megaera, and Qon are probably up there though, really looking forward to doing Durumu.
    Not to burst the bubble, but Durumu is pretty zzzz. It's about as thrilling as Tortos, if I had to rank it personally. Just make sure not to stand near folks when drain goes out...that's always a fun moment.

I agree tho, this tier is pretty even. I'm (ironically) personally pretty fond of fights that have damage modifiers like JinRohk, Horridon, and JiKun. JiKun is actually one of my favorities in general, but the fun is wearing off a bit now that we just burn him after like 3 nests ><.

Animus is fun just because of the ERMAGERD TIGHT BUTTHOLE first 30 seconds (I grab 3+ adds), followed by LOL@RAID as I do 50% of raid's DPS because of said vengeance. Guess I need to enjoy that til 5.4 After that, it's still really fun just because so much going on, and the ping-ponging of massives, ring breaking, jolt-saving, etc.

And Qon will always have a soft spot, as I can still reign supreme on DPS in the last phase

Least favorite is RaDen, cause I either sit or have to work 5x harder than our BrM, who literally uses a castsequence macro to tank him.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Least favorite is RaDen, cause I either sit or have to work 5x harder than our BrM, who literally uses a castsequence macro to tank him.
    I can't imagine that's very fun for him either, haha.

Our guild got H IQ down last night and we're shooting for either Council or Meg next. We tried a few pulls on Twins, but they didn't go too well. Not sure what the problem was, but we couldn't even make it into the 2nd phase.

Which path did you take after finishing off all the "easy" heroics? (Jin, Ji'kun, Tortos, IQ). We have H Horridon down already, so I'm thinking Council?

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    I can't imagine that's very fun for him either, haha.
    Meh, you know what's fun? Winning. I'll take effective over "fun" most times.

Which path did you take after finishing off all the "easy" heroics? (Jin, Ji'kun, Tortos, IQ). We have H Horridon down already, so I'm thinking Council?
    We did Jin, Horridon, Tortos, JiKun, Qon, Meg, Council, Durumu, Twins, Primo, DA, LS, Raden IIRC.

Meg is pretty trivial now, but Council was really only hard when you had low gear and would die to Frostbites and/or couldnt push Sul fast enough. If you have lots of immunities (Mage, boomkin/rog, HPal) or high DR classes (Lock, SPr), Council should be easy. If you're decent at handling frost/fire on Meg and have a competent "DPS-tank" for the adds, Meg isn't bad either. Just mind the rampages and plan CDs accordingly.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    Our guild got H IQ down last night and we're shooting for either Council or Meg next. We tried a few pulls on Twins, but they didn't go too well. Not sure what the problem was, but we couldn't even make it into the 2nd phase.
    We had a lot of issues with people getting insta-gibbed in P1 by the sheer number of adds that are spawned shooting people. We tried moving Suen around to show them, but couldn't do it effectively to make it matter. Once we figured out the right timing for the aspect buffs it really became moot, and we just had to work on the P2 mechanics of not dying to Nuclear Detonation. The second time we hit P3, it was a kill.

We went Jin (30)>Horridon (77)>Ji'kun (38)>Tortos (21)>Megaera (33)>IQ (29)>Council (19)>Twins (15). Ironically, once we got to IQ/Council/Twins, they all died within a night and we just laughed hard because we figured they would be harder than they were. We obviously had the most trouble on Horridon when learning, most of which was ironing out positions and interrupts. Surprisingly, once we started telling people to be active in the theorycrafting discussions on the guild forums, we started to have lower pulls.