Hmmm, thanks for the advice. We have a handful of raiders with decent defensives (rogue, hpal, warlock, mage) but at the same time, our guild ilvl is ~527 so I feel our gear is slightly under-average/on-par with where we should be at our current progression of 5/13.

Not sure if that falls into the "low gear" category that Nairobi mentioned, but I think we may try to push through Jin/Horridon and Tortos/Meg trash quickly so we can get a few pulls on both Council and Meg.

I think IQ took us 2-3 nights, but we had limited attempts our first night and it only took us about 7 pulls or so last night to get him down (maybe ~20 total). I was hoping Twins would be in the same boat, but we had a new "artist" last night so maybe it was just an issue with timing the aspect buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    Which path did you take after finishing off all the "easy" heroics? (Jin, Ji'kun, Tortos, IQ). We have H Horridon down already, so I'm thinking Council?
    I consider Council to be one of the medium-difficulty bosses
    Easy: Jin'Rokh, Ji-Kun , Horridon , Qon
    Medium : Tortos, Council , Meg, Durumu
    Hard/RNG: Primordius (half of the pulls end up being blob spawn wipes) , twins (hoooray nuclear splosion with no meteor) , Animus , Lei Shen (although it seems like he can easily be outgeared)
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

Nillo. i see you're running around with 8% expertise. hows that working out for you. worth going down to that amount?

Seems fine - haven't had issues with missed HP gens when i actually needed it.
    Armories:

Lei Shen (although it seems like he can easily be outgeared)
    From what I've heard, that is likely the case. Phases 1+2 are dps races, Phase 3 is a healer test and dps race and I don't know if there has ever been a dps race that hasn't got easier with more gear.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Different question: Any of you guys run challenge modes? Been running with a few friends after raid hours and so far we've been able to do one or two gold clears a night (3 nights or so, so far :P). Tonight we cleared Gate of Setting Sun, wasn't too bad, just the first pull took a few tries to figure out, but then we got a massive cockblock on Stormsout Brewery. That first pull was just obliterating me.. I'd kite'm around like crazy but as soon as they got 2~3 without a snare they'd hug and destroy me so fast no cooldown or healing can save me.

Our setup is:

Protadin (me)
    Ele Shaman
    Enh Shaman
    Frost Mage
    Disc Priest

Any tips for that particular pull? (All the monkeys before the first boss)

Anyone here tank Heroic Tortos and the bats? I offered to do it tomorrow night because my guild's struggling to down this fight and the number one problem is kiting the bats (why our BrM can't do it, when he's one of our best all-around players, I don't understand).

Horn of Battle.

Double shaman kinda hurts, but I guess could have the mage nova and try to nuke once theyre all clumped with the horn. Otherwise, just pop HA or guardian and go ham with lights hammer and cons.

SSB sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by trystero View Post
    Anyone here tank Heroic Tortos and the bats? I offered to do it tomorrow night because my guild's struggling to down this fight and the number one problem is kiting the bats (why our BrM can't do it, when he's one of our best all-around players, I don't understand).
    We always used to tanks but once our BrM DC'd during the fight at about 40% and I did have to tank both bats and Tortos. It's not as hard as you'd think but you gotta be very aware. If you miss a Bite without having ShotR up it's most likely the end of the line for you.

If you have a hunter to MD bats toward you it's not big deal, just make sure you tank'em "sideways" so you're not having anything hitting you from the back and, like I said, be very mindful of Tortos' bite attack.

Also, the insane vengeance you'll mount up will help you unload such mayhem on the bats they'll die faster than ever.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 05:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Horn of Battle.

Double shaman kinda hurts, but I guess could have the mage nova and try to nuke once theyre all clumped with the horn. Otherwise, just pop HA or guardian and go ham with lights hammer and cons.

SSB sucks
    Think facing them head on with cools can make it? They would absolutely trash me if I slipped on the kite even for a second >.<.

Pandaren Monk
    Hello protadins :P
    Iron qon died pretty easily and i've been asked to solo tank tortos hc on paladin.
    Looks pretty straightforward but after the detailed help last time, figured i'll ask for some more insider tips
    Last edited by santa666; 2013-06-19 at 10:59 AM.

Why would you solo-tank Tortos HC, unless for ranking? It's honestly way easier and safer (for all) to just use a second tank. If you have a BrM worth a damn, stick him on bats, and you take boss.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

In my experience it's more like the other way round.
    Solo tanking it as a pally doesn't take that much - while kiting as a BrM means 1 fail = wipe and you also have to deal with lags later on.
    Armories:

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    In my experience it's more like the other way round.
    Solo tanking it as a pally doesn't take that much - while kiting as a BrM means 1 fail = wipe and you also have to deal with lags later on.
    Weird, I guess it's all about who's playing what. Granted I haven't tried solo-tanking HC since week 2, but I was getting stomped back then. Our BrM was able to easily kite, so we just stuck with what worked. We've had a few times where he's been gang-banged by turtles, but only caused a wipe once (thanks to a quick LOH or soulstone). I suppose at these gear levels it'd be pretty trivial to do bats AND boss as a pally, but TBH I enjoy being pretty lazy on that fight.
    20k and counting...

Pandaren Monk
    Why would you solo-tank Tortos HC, unless for ranking? It's honestly way easier and safer (for all) to just use a second tank. If you have a BrM worth a damn, stick him on bats, and you take boss.
    No BrM, got frost dk that techincally could i guess, but mostly, they asked me and i didnt question it :P
    I would rather tank it on warrior but feels alot safer with healing aggro / lightshammer, vs mocking banner every 2nd spawn :-/
    Can add that pala is 516 ilvl and warrior is 527.
    Last edited by santa666; 2013-06-19 at 04:38 PM.

Hammer is 1min, bat spawn 45sec => doesn't work out too well.
    Armories:

Pandaren Monk
    After the first spawn i should ride enough vengeance to make soi/bh enough anyhow ?
    Honestly, i dont care what char i tank on, i just want easy progression

Yeah, after first spawn you should have enough vengeance. That is why I usually pop wings on the first spawn to ensure them coming to me and after that vengeance is high enough to get all spawns easily.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    After the first spawn i should ride enough vengeance to make soi/bh enough anyhow ?
    Honestly, i dont care what char i tank on, i just want easy progression
    are you talking 2 tanking or solo? cuz when we 2 tank the bat tank normally starts on tortos for vengance. then when bat spawns he goes off an grab em while i pick up tortos.
    Last edited by Sunnydee; 2013-06-19 at 11:57 PM. Reason: missread

Prot 2pc and 4pc t16 have switched places.

What's got 2 thumbs and isn't using any tier?

<--- This guy.
    20k and counting...

Prot 2pc and 4pc t16 have switched places.

What's got 2 thumbs and isn't using any tier?

<--- This guy.
    Its a bit of a shame, the change to SS allowing Prot to pick-up Eternal Flame will make Bastion of Glory usage a lot more attractive to add even more healing, and may well be worth using now instead of ShotR once the stacks are up, at least in 10 man I can see that being quite attractive.

You're looking at potential EF ticks of ~105k/3 (+Haste) in 10 man with capped Vengeance, although I've probably messed up the multipliers somewhere in there it'll still be quite close to that.
    Last edited by Xs; 2013-06-20 at 12:39 AM.