1. #3621
    Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    AFK Tortos.
    Someone has to tank the boss while he's kiting bats :P



  2. #3622
    Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    Someone has to tank the boss while he's kiting bats :P
    Do you guys still kite in 25?

    Our monk got lazy and just said fuck it, and stacks on me with bats. Obv 10 != 25, so just curious there.

    And, about your point earlier, I think you're right in that people get on a 1-track mind about ERMAGERD HASTE!!1 to the detriment of their character. Obviously, everyones personal inflection point for where subpar high ilvl trumps proper itemized low lvl gear is different, but I think that too many people can grasp on to the ideas and theory designated for the top 1-5% of us, which may actually hamper them.

    Case in point: GCD usage as discussed in the other threads. Even the best of us here can't reach maximal GCD counts, which is where haste earns a lot of its keep. I'm NOT saying to stack avoidance, far from it as anyone who knows me knows I preach about proper gearing. BUT. As I have also said many times, going into SoO, after reaching haste cap, picking up avoidance will NOT be an offense punishable by death/mockery. GC changes notwithstanding, it's a very viable stat in 25m H especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

  3. #3623
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Do you guys still kite in 25?
    We do even though there is absolutely zero necessity to do so anymore, given that we could just tank the bats. While in the past we kited to avoid having to kill them, now the bats just die regardless from scumbag dps alone (hello gear upgrades).

    But I do think our kiter has fun doing it plus the fight is typically a one-shot now anyway even with things going wrong, so I haven't brought it up in guild. Too loudly, anyway.

  4. #3624
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Do you guys still kite in 25?

    Our monk got lazy and just said fuck it, and stacks on me with bats. Obv 10 != 25, so just curious there.
    Honestly... no. We did the kite strat for a while, until one day our backup monk died while kiting and then I had a bunch of bats on me with the boss. I managed to stay alive for a while, so we just decided to go with the nuke the bats strat. It also didn't help that our dps would scumbag bat damage to inflate their overall damage when I was kiting.

    I did try to kill bats on my monk once, but since Tortos has 0 drops for BrM spec, I just stayed safe and tanked bats on the paladin. Bats would die faster on the monk, but knowing some of our raiders, it's just safer to paladin it up.



  5. #3625
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    And, about your point earlier, I think you're right in that people get on a 1-track mind about ERMAGERD HASTE!!1 to the detriment of their character.
    Don't tell the other paladins, but I'm going to get the tank legendary cloak before the DPS one.

    Shh!

  6. #3626
    Banned MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    10,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortane View Post
    Don't tell the other paladins, but I'm going to get the tank legendary cloak before the DPS one.

    Shh!
    That might not be a bad idea and may save you a lot of money. Same with the meta gem. I can't remember exactly what the changes were but I believe Blizzard is trying to make it so we use the tank one? Can't remember how though.

  7. #3627
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    That might not be a bad idea and may save you a lot of money. Same with the meta gem. I can't remember exactly what the changes were but I believe Blizzard is trying to make it so we use the tank one? Can't remember how though.
    Nope.

    They're just (attempting to) make the tank meta less shitty by buffing its proc rate.

    Tank cape got an itemization improvement, but the proc is still underwhelming (much more so now with the CD increased by 100%) compared to the proper itemized DPS cloak with it's AP scaling proc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

  8. #3628
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    That might not be a bad idea and may save you a lot of money. Same with the meta gem. I can't remember exactly what the changes were but I believe Blizzard is trying to make it so we use the tank one? Can't remember how though.
    For the tank meta gem, they're removing its proc rate scaling with haste and increasing the proc chance by 50%. Still, a random proc to take less damage isn't always going to be useful. I'll keep it in my bags though, just in case! They're not changing the way the DPS meta works for tanks afaik, so it'll still be great for doing more damage.

  9. #3629
    Banned MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    10,267
    Ah well in that case, forget it Whilst it might not always be useful, if the proc was high enough it would compensate but if they aren't doing enough to it then *Shrug*

  10. #3630
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Ah well in that case, forget it Whilst it might not always be useful, if the proc was high enough it would compensate but if they aren't doing enough to it then *Shrug*
    I will personally be switching to the tanking cloak and the tanking metagem. I might even do it for my monk, since it's going to be another cooldown to use every 2 minutes, and the meta is being changed to 20% flat damage reduction instead of just physical. Fortitude The proc is also "roughly 2.57 ppm" or roughly 38.55 seconds out of 60 or 64.25% uptime (according to the tooltip for the gem)

    On a "progression" level, there's no reason to look at it and say "I don't care about surviving, I want to do the most damage possible!" To which I say, re-roll a dps class. Your #1 thing to do as a tank is to survive, if you choose to go the dps route instead, you give up that survivability. Not everyone will go into T16 at a 11/13H or 13/13H level, I'm sure there's a lot of people who are going in at 3/13 or maybe at best 8/13. There will probably even be people going in at 11/12 normal progression level, these are the types of people that will really need the tank cloak/meta, because it will help them survive that much longer and to be able to make up for their mistakes.

    We're not perfect, we do make mistakes. If you can tell me you've never made a mistake on a progression boss kill that caused you to die, then perhaps you can continue using the dps cloak/meta. The bosses hit hard, there are lots of abilities that will destroy you, do not under estimate the next tier and gear for damage over survival. ToT was somewhat of a joke for tank damage, don't expect them to make the same mistake again.



  11. #3631
    Banned MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    10,267
    Well, I won that ring off the BMAH. The heroic durumu. Had a little bidding war with a warrior up to 30k and it all looked good, then this guy came in and raised to 55k in 1 move, was very annoyed. However, 57k, whilst it'll take me a while to earn back, im still on 200k so I'm hardly running out of money. What will I use this ring for? Who knows. Who cares really, the money was just sitting around. May as well have nice things

  12. #3632
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Well, I won that ring off the BMAH. The heroic durumu. Had a little bidding war with a warrior up to 30k and it all looked good, then this guy came in and raised to 55k in 1 move, was very annoyed. However, 57k, whilst it'll take me a while to earn back, im still on 200k so I'm hardly running out of money. What will I use this ring for? Who knows. Who cares really, the money was just sitting around. May as well have nice things
    I spent 25k on that heroic healing mace for my resto druid alt back in ICC. Used it for like what, 4 pugs? Probably worst purchase I ever done.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  13. #3633
    Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    I will personally be switching to the tanking cloak and the tanking metagem. I might even do it for my monk, since it's going to be another cooldown to use every 2 minutes, and the meta is being changed to 20% flat damage reduction instead of just physical. Fortitude The proc is also "roughly 2.57 ppm" or roughly 38.55 seconds out of 60 or 64.25% uptime (according to the tooltip for the gem)

    On a "progression" level, there's no reason to look at it and say "I don't care about surviving, I want to do the most damage possible!" To which I say, re-roll a dps class. Your #1 thing to do as a tank is to survive, if you choose to go the dps route instead, you give up that survivability. Not everyone will go into T16 at a 11/13H or 13/13H level, I'm sure there's a lot of people who are going in at 3/13 or maybe at best 8/13. There will probably even be people going in at 11/12 normal progression level, these are the types of people that will really need the tank cloak/meta, because it will help them survive that much longer and to be able to make up for their mistakes.

    We're not perfect, we do make mistakes. If you can tell me you've never made a mistake on a progression boss kill that caused you to die, then perhaps you can continue using the dps cloak/meta. The bosses hit hard, there are lots of abilities that will destroy you, do not under estimate the next tier and gear for damage over survival. ToT was somewhat of a joke for tank damage, don't expect them to make the same mistake again.
    I'm with you on this. Will have both on hand, but primarily going to run tank cloak/meta. It would be like my healers using dps trinkets on progression instead of healing ones cause "they never go OOM" or they "don't need the extra healing from a trinket". The attempt we lose it due to a OOM healer in the last 5% would make me pretty angry as I'm sure tank deaths at 5% which could have been prevented if I wasn't concerned with "being good and not needing the extra cd in favor of more dps". Just feels like the smarter default on progression.

  14. #3634
    Tank cloak and maybe even tank meta makes sense for 25 man raiders, it is a whole different story in 10's though.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  15. #3635
    Banned MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    10,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I spent 25k on that heroic healing mace for my resto druid alt back in ICC. Used it for like what, 4 pugs? Probably worst purchase I ever done.
    At the very least, I think it raised my ilvl to like 506? 507? That means that when I get the Jin'rohk belt and my ilvl drops again, I'll still be above 500. That seems to be the arbitrary level for a ToT pug on my server, on the very off chance I get the time to do one. I have a few people trying to get me to raid with them as a guild but meh, I can't commit. Sucks having to do all this ilvl shit.

    Still, makes me smile knowing I'm better. When I first returned and was in 480 ilvl, I did an MSV normal pug. The other tank was like 530 geared and a warrior. On the last boss he took more damage than me and did less damage, and he avoided every single Oppurtunistic Thingy and I missed 2 due to being on the phone. This warrior had been doing the whole "Oooh, I hope my gear is enough" bollocks. Not only do I want to be superior in terms of play, but in gear as well. Just to add insult to injury. There's a certain amount of just how the classes perform in there but... with a margin like that. Especially on the damage taken. Be ashamed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Tank cloak and maybe even tank meta makes sense for 25 man raiders, it is a whole different story in 10's though.
    Hmm it might do actually. It looks like there are going to be a lot of forced 2 tank fights due to mechanics we can't avoid. Maybe the increased proc rates and some skillful play may help drop to a 2/2 tank/healer situation rather than 2/3. The extra dps may come in handy, and do more dps than what the cloak and meta would grant you.

  16. #3636
    High Overlord Dastuross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Hey guys. What do you all think of going below exp cap? say to 13% ( maybe down to 11% ), i'm 539 ilvl and raiding heroic 10s, i might try it this upcoming raid week, figured i see what the paladin forum thinks

    Here's my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...asturos/simple

  17. #3637
    Quote Originally Posted by Das View Post
    Hey guys. What do you all think of going below exp cap? say to 13% ( maybe down to 11% ), i'm 539 ilvl and raiding heroic 10s, i might try it this upcoming raid week, figured i see what the paladin forum thinks

    Here's my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...asturos/simple
    dont really see the point in your current gear since the only thing you'd win on it would be some mastery. u wouldnt gain any sort of haste, and its way better making sure that SHOTR is up rather then having 1-3 % more on it

  18. #3638
    Quote Originally Posted by Das View Post
    Hey guys. What do you all think of going below exp cap? say to 13% ( maybe down to 11% ), i'm 539 ilvl and raiding heroic 10s, i might try it this upcoming raid week, figured i see what the paladin forum thinks

    Here's my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...asturos/simple
    As kitty said, nothing wrong with it, but in your situation theres nothing right with it either

  19. #3639
    Yeah, there is nowhere in your gear you can gain haste from dropping expertise, so really so no point in doing so.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  20. #3640
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    18
    Do you think that they are changing SS, vengeance, and SoI so much that it will force tanks to stack avoidance in 5.4?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •