Still. Haste.

As mentioned three times in the last 3 pages.

Haste = DPS, HoPo gen, ShotR uptime, heals increased
    Mastery = ShotR power, block increased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

So, to reiterate:

Follow the stat priority posted if you are raiding. The guide is actually a guide, it does tell you the best way forward and it gets updated quickly whenever something changes so it's rarely out of date.

@Fhi - told you

first raid of 5.2 was a little awkward, I know we are decked out in heroic gear and this is normal modes but does anyone else feel like its lfr? lol I think the worst so far was council, we pretty much just ran around like headless chickens and the boss fell over. Was getting a few tank deaths on megara though, always just before we get on the last head.

......................Protection Paladin PoV.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Soloz View Post
    first raid of 5.2 was a little awkward, I know we are decked out in heroic gear and this is normal modes but does anyone else feel like its lfr? lol I think the worst so far was council, we pretty much just ran around like headless chickens and the boss fell over. Was getting a few tank deaths on megara though, always just before we get on the last head.
    The tier hasn't begun until you get onto heroics #controversial statement. But still, sounds like you're having fun doing it which is what matters

If you where doing heroics before you're supposed to be doing heroics now

Quick question for you guys. I'm the melee lead for my guild and we currently use loot council for loot. I'm just curious if i should be expecting the prot pally in the guild to be wanting all str/haste gear? I get that haste is good, but what about things like trinkets?

Quote Originally Posted by Toatx View Post
    Quick question for you guys. I'm the melee lead for my guild and we currently use loot council for loot. I'm just curious if i should be expecting the prot pally in the guild to be wanting all str/haste gear? I get that haste is good, but what about things like trinkets?
    In general yes. You should expect him to want anything with hit/exp/haste/mastery on it, this goes for trinkets too (although, theres like 2-3 good trinkets)

Speaking of "out of date" with the Eternal Flame buff it's nothing if not at least closer to SS than what it was. Any word from Merin on his thoughts on how they compare now? I've been using EF, but then again I'm just leveling my pally and the new HoT is pretty sick.

The HoT is nice, but I'd still say that Sacred Shield is better for progress

Stopping damage happening is still better than healing taken damage back up.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Stopping damage happening is still better than healing taken damage back up.
    Well, the point is that it has an internal cooldown and doesn't stop a % of all damage (just x damage every 6 seconds, preachin to the choir I know), so it's uptime/downtime is probably pretty consistent with EF's.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2013-03-06 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Well, the point is that it has an internal cooldown and doesn't stop a % of all damage (just x damage every 6 seconds, preachin to the choir I know), so it's uptime/downtime is probably pretty consistent with EF's.
    The problem with the HoT is that if you take damage, a healer is going to heal it back up--either because they saw you take damage and cast a heal, because you already had a HoT from them on you, or because the healer was already casting a heal in anticipation of you taking damage (or boredom). Therefore, the HoT ends up overhealing a lot, whereas Sacred Shield generally won't be wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The problem with the HoT is that if you take damage, a healer is going to heal it back up--either because they saw you take damage and cast a heal, because you already had a HoT from them on you, or because the healer was already casting a heal in anticipation of you taking damage (or boredom). Therefore, the HoT ends up overhealing a lot, whereas Sacred Shield generally won't be wasted.
    This, SS on progress will be 100% used every time it procs provided you're tanking, where as Eternal Flame is probably better for trying to drop more healers on farm content or huge DPS race bosses

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    This, SS on progress will be 100% used every time it procs provided you're tanking, where as Eternal Flame is probably better for trying to drop more healers on farm content or huge DPS race bosses
    To say SS is use 100% is a bit of an overstatement. Yes, 100% of the SS is used but in effect it also causes overhealing so if you absorb 100k damage but overheal 50k more, that is not really 100% used.

However yes, SS is 10x more effective than EF.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Speaking of "out of date" with the Eternal Flame buff it's nothing if not at least closer to SS than what it was. Any word from Merin on his thoughts on how they compare now? I've been using EF, but then again I'm just leveling my pally and the new HoT is pretty sick.
    Was just chatting to people in my halls, others have beaten me to it to reply to this

Even with the buff, you still have to spend Holy Power on it. This means that to get the benefit you have to spend Holy Power on it moreso than if you didn't take the talent - unlike SS. This means fewer SHOTR to get the benefit. Sacred Shield is just better, simply put.

Also just because your post made me think - I'm not as active as people think I am. In game that is. I've not been able to play since 13th January and won't be able to for another 2 and a half weeks from now, and this is going to continue until late June at which point I'll be free whenever from then onwards. Just due to university regulated internet connection. Any changes which occur outside the time I'm playing, I can only make an opinion on by looking at numbers - and numbers aren't always the be all and end all - a bit of hands on testing counts for a lot, and that I can only get second hand and by discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    To say SS is use 100% is a bit of an overstatement. Yes, 100% of the SS is used but in effect it also causes overhealing so if you absorb 100k damage but overheal 50k more, that is not really 100% used.

However yes, SS is 10x more effective than EF.
    Yeah but the healers can stop (most) of their healing if you're at full health, and with SS you're more likely to be in the efficient heal range rather than the inefficient heal range

Horridons triple puncture, anyone know the recast on this ability? wowhead doesnt have it listed nor was dbm picking it up last night. Makes it a pain to time mitigation when you dont really know when its coming.

10-15 seconds, can be delayed by other abilities he casts

......................Protection Paladin PoV.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Yeah but the healers can stop (most) of their healing if you're at full health, and with SS you're more likely to be in the efficient heal range rather than the inefficient heal range
    Yeah, SS is a lot more efficient than EF for sure. Still, some parts of fights where I intentionally let SS drop since it basically is doing nothing sometimes.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

10-15 seconds, can be delayed by other abilities he casts
    So it is rather like Blade-Lord Ta'yak's Assault, that can be delayed up to about 10s after the timer expires? Woo fricking hoo.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!