Deleted
    They are not worth getting for the sake of the set bonus. However if you have like item level 486-509 pieces there now, the added item level alone will be a huge upgrade.

That said, I would not take tier pieces before anyone else that needs them. Only before off-specs and DE.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    They are not worth getting for the sake of the set bonus. However if you have like item level 486-509 pieces there now, the added item level alone will be a huge upgrade.

That said, I would not take tier pieces before anyone else that needs them. Only before off-specs and DE.
    Thanks for the tip.

That was the route I was thinking of taking. I have mostly 496 in the tier spots, so I think i'll just hold off for now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    Are the prot paladin tier pieces worth getting? We've been funneling the tokens to our priest since their set bonuses are pretty good (IIRC), but i'm wondering if I should even bother until everyone else has their 4-piece. The off-set pieces seem pretty good, and from what I've been reading here, our set bonuses are pretty weak.

New prot paladin here, appreciate the help.
    Don't take them over your warlocks or priests of either role. Or your fellow paladins of other flavors.

If they're going to rot, or you want to try and bonus roll one, the best 2 to get are Helm and Shoulders, as they have the least bad stat allocation. 2pc is a nice QOL set bonus, but don't try to use it as a maintenance buff. Most of the ret/DPS pieces are far better itemized for the typical stat priorities we shoot for, and the tier peices are far better used on DPS/healers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Don't take them over your warlocks or priests of either role. Or your fellow paladins of other flavors.

If they're going to rot, or you want to try and bonus roll one, the best 2 to get are Helm and Shoulders, as they have the least bad stat allocation. 2pc is a nice QOL set bonus, but don't try to use it as a maintenance buff. Most of the ret/DPS pieces are far better itemized for the typical stat priorities we shoot for, and the tier peices are far better used on DPS/healers.
    If I had the dodge/parry off-pieces, would it be an upgrade to take the haste/mastery plate?

Deleted
    If I had the dodge/parry off-pieces, would it be an upgrade to take the haste/mastery plate?
    Not sure I totally get what you are asking.

But yes, a piece with haste/mastery is better than a piece with dodge/parry. Dodge and parry are by far our worst secondary stats.

As long as there is not a huge difference in item level (a.k.a. stamina, armor, strength, secondary stats, gem slots), you should try to avoid avoidance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running out of Vodka and it's only 3:39pm. If only the light would come and bring me more.

See, that had a paladin theme to it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Not sure I totally get what you are asking.

But yes, a piece with haste/mastery is better than a piece with dodge/parry. Dodge and parry are by far our worst secondary stats.

As long as there is not a huge difference in item level (a.k.a. stamina, armor, strength, secondary stats, gem slots), you should try to avoid avoidance.
    Sorry if I was unclear with that. But you answered my question..thanks.

Now, time to convince our warrior...

Deleted
    Just link him to this thread. He should trust to voice of other paladin tanks higher than his own instinct.

Just link him to this thread. He should trust to voice of other paladin tanks higher than his own instinct.
    Most of my guildees are RL friends who knew/raided with each other since high school (Classic), so I don't think it'll actually be a huge issue, haha.
    So are warriors and DKs the only ones who use the avoidance plate?

For those of you who have a Ret OS, do you just use the tanking gear for both specs? I would imagine the stat itemization is pretty good, but not perfect? I'm currently gemming and reforging with the following priority: Hit > Expertise > Mastery > Haste. I know that Haste > Mastery is also a consideration, but as someone who is still learning the class, will I see a significant dip in survivability if I go with that priority?

Deleted
    Most of my guildees are RL friends who knew/raided with each other since high school (Classic), so I don't think it'll actually be a huge issue, haha.
    So are warriors and DKs the only ones who use the avoidance plate?

For those of you who have a Ret OS, do you just use the tanking gear for both specs? I would imagine the stat itemization is pretty good, but not perfect? I'm currently gemming and reforging with the following priority: Hit > Expertise > Mastery > Haste. I know that Haste > Mastery is also a consideration, but as someone who is still learning the class, will I see a significant dip in survivability if I go with that priority?
    Warriors and DKs are the only ones that really "use" avoidance. But for them it is still secondary. DKS and Warriors would gladly take mastery over avoidance any day.
    Also most of them also cap hit and expertise.

Paladins only use avoidance plate if it is significantly higher item level than your other options.

Yes, you can use same gear in ret and prot. It is not optimal but not bad either.
    Most important thing is to get 2 helmets, one with dps meta and one with tank meta.

Deleted
    I know that Haste > Mastery is also a consideration, but as someone who is still learning the class, will I see a significant dip in survivability if I go with that priority?
    You should see a significant boost to your dps, but your survivability will not drop that much. However, if you are new to tanking you may stick with mastery over haste paradigm, simply because its safer way to go for someone less experienced, especially if you cant time SotR properly with boss swings/special attacks.

As for avoidance plate vs dps (ret) plate. When on same ilvl I always choose dps plate and use it for tanking, simply because haste/mastery is better for my way of tanking. That being said, I will still use avoidance plate (and reforge to haste/mastery) when it has much higher ilvl that my current piece of gear.

And if your warrior needs hard mathematical proof that in most cases prot paladins prefer dps plate, I suggest sending him to Theck's maintankadin matlab topic or sacredduty blog or even elitist jerks paladin section.
    Last edited by mmoc55ef44424f; 2013-03-21 at 06:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those of you who have a Ret OS, do you just use the tanking gear for both specs? I would imagine the stat itemization is pretty good, but not perfect?
    You can use the same set for both, but it's going to be suboptimal for one of them. Ret's stat priorities are very similar to Prot's (hit to 7.5% > expertise to 7.5% > haste > mastery > crit), so it won't be a huge loss, but Ret and Prot use different meta gems, some different enchants, and most obviously Ret needs half as much expertise as Prot so all of that extra expertise will be wasted.

Deleted
    /shameless epeen

Yay back raiding finally with guild transfered server! Slow start for me this tier but rocking those rankings again :P (6th on council 10 man )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    /shameless epeen

Yay back raiding finally with guild transfered server! Slow start for me this tier but rocking those rankings again :P (6th on council 10 man )

/also gonna shameless epeen got rank 1, 2, 2, 3 + some other in the 10-20 area. Who needs expertise cap? Who needs strength gear? Rocking that 11 expertise and intellect gear!

Though really, what are you using for tactic on Council? I can only get like rank 300 on that, though we are ping ponging the frost king so dont get any vengeance from him... thats probably why... I get absolutely horrible rankings on both council and meagara, no idea what im donig wrong there or if it is just our tactic.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-03-22 at 12:01 AM.

Deleted

/also gonna shameless epeen got rank 1, 2, 2, 3 + some other in the 10-20 area. Who needs expertise cap? Who needs strength gear? Rocking that 11 expertise and intellect gear!

Though really, what are you using for tactic on Council? I can only get like rank 300 on that, though we are ping ponging the frost king so dont get any vengeance from him... thats probably why... I get absolutely horrible rankings on both council and meagara, no idea what im donig wrong there or if it is just our tactic.
    1 tank 2 heals

Deleted
    Well, that explains it. I want to do that too My guild won't let me!

Deleted
    Well, that explains it. I want to do that too My guild won't let me!
    Well honestly tell them to man up! if your raid has a pally tank then dropping the spare tank nd healer just makes sense. did a few pulls on tortos using 1 tank and 2 heals seemed v doable too. 30% on first pull then ran out of time. Will be dead on Sunday. Do wish we had a pally or disc priest healer though for shields :/.

Bring on the hydra.
    Last edited by mmocf6305105ff; 2013-03-22 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah, we used 1 tank and 2 heals on Tortos. I only had 494 ilvl the first time I did so was kinda a bitch, but easy now.

Hydra is a complete joke after this weeks nerfs.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-03-22 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quick question: does hop/bubble remove talon rake debuffs? Wondering about solo tanking this one if poss.

Deleted
    No. It does not. We found 3 reliable ways to solo tanking Ji-Kun.

1. Having 2 dpsers capable of taunting of and taking a stack of talon rake.
    2. Abusing ghost iron dragonling/certain pets to take a talon rake after a down draft then have 1 dpsers take the next rake.
    3. Burning the boss. Only clearing 1 nest with 4 dpsers to give them the buff, then full burn to dead.

But it is a lot easier and safer to duo tank it.