Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Is there a way to see which gear drops for ret/prot specs from each boss in ToT?
    Is there a list somewhere that shows which spec to specialize in when doing LFR for the best prot gear per boss?

Shift J

10 chars

Is there a way to see which gear drops for ret/prot specs from each boss in ToT?
    Is there a list somewhere that shows which spec to specialize in when doing LFR for the best prot gear per boss?
    Dungeon journal has a filter for each boss that you can set to only show gear that drops for each spec. You can set to show "all paladin", "paladin - protection", "paladin - holy", etc.

Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

It's worth making your own list, as it will change as you gear up. Generally, speaking I would only go prot for the 1H and Shield:

1h: Jin'rokh, Tortos, Iron Quon
    Shield: Primordius, Lei Shen (also worth it for the stamina trinket imo)

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    It's worth making your own list, as it will change as you gear up. Generally, speaking I would only go prot for the 1H and Shield:

1h: Jin'rokh, Tortos, Iron Quon
    Shield: Tortos(holy)
    Also not sure about the 1hnd of tort, i think it's the crit axe so doubt that it's prot.

The Tortos str/crit 1h axe does not drop for paladins in LFR or from bonus coins.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

I would rather say Holy on tortos for the shield. Shield > 1h
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I'm talking about this shield, btw: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/96436
    Do you folks neverget funny looks for running around with a healer shield instead of a tanking shield and DPS gear instead of "tanking gear"? I'm thinking of starting tanking but I can't imagine the amount of shit I will get from people for grabbing "their" loot instead of "my" (dodge/parry) loot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sissadora View Post
    Do you folks neverget funny looks for running around with a healer shield instead of a tanking shield and DPS gear instead of "tanking gear"? I'm thinking of starting tanking but I can't imagine the amount of shit I will get from people for grabbing "their" loot instead of "my" (dodge/parry) loot!
    not a single person has mentioned it to me, but ive gotten a few "how come you're using a healing shield" from rather new dinged 90 palas. so i just give em a straight up answer

Well, you got transmog for the cosmetic part.

I have gotten funny looks in pugs / lfr with a healing shield, but mostly those people shut up after 1 pull and the few paladin tanks that commented on it instead asks me for help and tips.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

I get that a lot actually.
    Was a fun moment recently when another paladin tank in lfr was trying to troll me, while wearing full parry/dodge gear and gemming for stam.
    Was fairly fun on Iron Qon when after spending entire p1 taunting every 8 sec (herp derp same veng) he decided to "i'll show you how cool you are not" and after me surviving blamed the healers and ragequit.

But generally i just go "provemewrongnao" and the questions stop.

Currently using the agi 1h from dark animus and was using the holy shield as well as being in full haste 'dps' gear...

The awkward thing is its my guild that have a problem with me using this kind of gear as they don't think its very good

Quote Originally Posted by Nurhlag View Post
    The awkward thing is its my guild that have a problem with me using this kind of gear as they don't think its very good
    If your performance is good it should not matter.

Simply explain to the people complaining that you are performing a lot better than they are themselves and maybe they should focus on their own game and let you focus on yours.

lucky day, got both spark and tortos shield, now sitting at whopping 20.248 haste

On the subject of expertise... Ive been down at around 10-11% for awhile now as i prefered the extra haste I gained from it and miss now and then didn't bother me but I assume being at the expertise hard cap would be a dps increase? obviously RNG could lead to you do some more dps now and then if you have a fight without a lot of misses etc

Most high end top guilds with paladin tanks go to 15% expertise, obviously i'm not at their level but was curious to see if anyone could shed some light on why they don't drop some more expertise?

Also dunno if you've discussed it but I assume the dps strength cloak will be the one to take over the tanking one? the legendary one that is

Haste is most likely a bigger dps increase over expertise. Cant remember how that was, but if I do not recall correctly haste is always a dps increase over expertise (presuming you have soft cap). If that is wrong expertise still only pulls ahead when you reach close to haste cap.

Cant remember the exact numbers on this as it was so long since I checked this.

My personal opinion is dps cloak > tank cloak

Solo tanking durumu hc 25 - do I need clemency, or can I take US? Do I stand in phase beams still?
    Keeping it url since 1864.

Whatever the gain you may have, I would never ever trade predictability of HP generator. As tanks, we need the planning and capacity to say : ok, this attack is coming then, I need X HP for it and have Y seconds to get them.
    Go for the hard cap 15%expertise and 7.5%hit.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Solo tanking durumu hc 25 - do I need clemency, or can I take US? Do I stand in phase beams still?
    US for sure, better in all ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metasaigneur View Post
    Whatever the gain you may have, I would never ever trade predictability of HP generator. As tanks, we need the planning and capacity to say : ok, this attack is coming then, I need X HP for it and have Y seconds to get them.
    Go for the hard cap 15%expertise and 7.5%hit.
    Going below expertise cap does not eliminate reliability. If you can bank your HoPo properly you will not notice any difference in reliability while gaining dps, hps, hopo and absorbs from SS.

If you choose not to go below exp cap, fine, but you got to understand those that do it in terms of min-maxing their character. Going below exp cap gives better throughput (unless you are very very close to haste cap) and the difference in reliability is just non-existant if you use your SotR properly.
    Last edited by Firefly33; 2013-07-07 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Why would you stand in beams with 24 other people to handle them °_°

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Going below expertise cap does not eliminate reliability. If you can bank your HoPo properly you will not notice any difference in reliability while gaining dps, hps, hopo and absorbs from SS.
    Well it does somehow reduce reliability if what you're aiming for is to have 2 ShoR back to back and on fights like Ra-dan you want those reliably and often.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Going below expertise cap does not eliminate reliability. If you can bank your HoPo properly you will not notice any diference in reliability while gaining dps, hps, hopo and absorbs from SS.
    If you can bank, yes. But that means the window between 2 "needed" SotR is long enough and you are reducing SotR uptime on autoattacks.
    Maybe I am really talking about some major picture I don't understand, but even if the probability of missing a SotR for a triple puncture/snapping bite is one in a million, I won't take the risk to cause a wipe. A matter of opinion and style maybe, call it what you want

For instance on HDurumu, I don't bank HP, I use SotR for Hardstare and a SotR+Wogs for boss white attacks, Wogs being here to clear the unstoppable bleeding that clears @100%HP (I am raiding 10man and we 2heal it, that's why). Thanks to DivPurp, I can bank from time to time, but I certainly do not sit on 2+HP the whole fight.

Again, maybe I am doing something very wrong in my approach, feel free to give your insight, I'm eager to improve.