Hey guys! so my guild has run into a situation where we're replacing our Holy Paladin, and we're looking at running an Rdruid and Rsham with a disc priest/2nd rsham for 3rd heals, my group is worried about the tank healing, i don't think it'll be an issue, what's your guys opinion? i doubt it'll be a problem, but having alittle backup from other tanks will help

Thanks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Das View Post
    Hey guys! so my guild has run into a situation where we're replacing our Holy Paladin, and we're looking at running an Rdruid and Rsham with a disc priest/2nd rsham for 3rd heals, my group is worried about the tank healing, i don't think it'll be an issue, what's your guys opinion? i doubt it'll be a problem, but having alittle backup from other tanks will help

Thanks!
    We run mistweaver+resto shaman - if we need a 3rd healer we run with a resto druid. 13/14H you'll manage.

Thanks for the reply, i figured as much, i don't know why people are so worried about it.

Deleted
    I dont know which of your healers your holy paladin is replacing, but imo both resto druid and resto shaman is stronger tank healers than paladins, so you got nothing to worry about at all. We run resto druid(MW Alt) with Disc Priest.

We run resto shammy/druid, and our shammy told us that he doesn't heal tanks unless he sees em below 40%. So i wouldn't be too worried.

Deleted
    Anyone have a cd rotation for Thok HC solo tanking? We are aiming for 25 stacks in first phase, and want to solo tank it with our paladin. I read that he should use Lights Hammer on the raid @18/20 stacks as it will do insane healing with vengeance cap.

But I am intrested in how he survives the high stacks of panic. Any pointers?

Holy Avenger around stack 6 on boss(get a 5 bastion 3hp EF up just before you use HA. I guardian at just before stack 6(my debuff) and AD right after it falls and it carries over to the hit of stack 8(dont always get this one just depends if you push near 30 stacks on boss).

Long as you have shield up for the roars and a huge EF 400k+ hot you wont die. Outside of the initial building up to a 5 bastion EF i dont get healed after that my EF + SoI heal me completely on my own and while im building my bastions the raid hardly takes dmg the first few roars hots alone top everyone off so healers can watch me.

We're just working on it now.

From what I've seen, pallies solotank it with both Sacred Shield and EF. 2piece or not, any combination works.

Personally, I'm going with haste cap + DP + EF. I've tanked it up to 30 stacks like this pretty reliably and will continue with this strategy.

The point of SS is to increase EH for combinations of melee+screech. It works because the insane vengeance gives you rather large selfhealing through Insight (which actually heals for more than EF at those levels), think 260k heals just from it.

However, I found that making sure I play smart with DP and time SotR so I have it up for ever screech of his is enough to prevent a oneshot of melee+screech burst, which is his only danger. If you live through it, EF+Insight heals you up rather fast afterwards. If you've super bad luck with DP procs and don't manage to get SotR up in time.. better be fast with CD's
    Also, without 4t16, it can be slightly awkward getting a new EF on yourself without favourable DP and/or cooldowns.

Overall, I see little advantage in using HA on it over DP. EF/SS seems to be a preference. You do about 70% of selfhealing, requiring no attention from healers (all I've gotten is passive/splash/cleave/whatnot healing for the last 30%) and and will very likely be the last man standing when CD's go awry during last few accelerations.

Oh, also.. I guess it could be possible to go Clemency for double BoP on healers/dps, but I rather play it safer with Unbreakable Spirit.

I've tied SW and it seems to be doing well so far - especially since the high vengeance levels later on really go well with higher AW duration.

But then we're currently having big issues handling those bats - any hints on how to deal with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    Anyone have a cd rotation for Thok HC solo tanking? We are aiming for 25 stacks in first phase, and want to solo tank it with our paladin. I read that he should use Lights Hammer on the raid @18/20 stacks as it will do insane healing with vengeance cap.

But I am intrested in how he survives the high stacks of panic. Any pointers?
    1) He won't get veng cap
    2) Personally i don't remember the exact rotation, but i didn't start using my CDs till 5th breath i think (or so), and i would get externals to survive 4th+ one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    1) He won't get veng cap
    I get vengeance cap when 2 tanking it. Are you sure you wont get vengeance cap when solo tanking? Never tried solo tanking it so I dont know. I guess it might depend on your gear too though and how much health you have

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I get vengeance cap when 2 tanking it. Are you sure you wont get vengeance cap when solo tanking? Never tried solo tanking it so I dont know. I guess it might depend on your gear too though and how much health you have
    Hey FF, would you advice 1 or 2-tanking Thok?

We have a Pally (Me - 566 iL, 2p, 45% Haste) and a Monk (564 iL, 4p) Tank.

I can't quite figure out what's better. Getting conflicting information on the forums.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

I vengeance cap briefly when solo tanking 10 normal, although that may be because my health pool is a bit low. Still, I can't imagine how you wouldn't hit vengeance cap on heroic unless you spend very little time in the non-kiting phases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Hey FF, would you advice 1 or 2-tanking Thok?

We have a Pally (Me - 566 iL, 2p, 45% Haste) and a Monk (564 iL, 4p) Tank.

I can't quite figure out what's better. Getting conflicting information on the forums.
    Honestly, depends what comp you are using. We decided to two tank it because we had the option to run dual paladin tanks for double aura mastery + BoP, it really helped the healers out. Both our tanks honestly lacked the gear to solo tank it either way. I guess I could have sat out or come on my hunter and our warrior could have solo tanked it, but then we would have had 0 aura masteries and BoP, which obviously would have made it even harder. We managed to beat the enrage with 558 average ilvl and 2 tanking it.

There are benefits to both solo and duo tanking it. I think solo tanking is mostly worth it if you are struggling with the dps check, which in current gear levels should not be a problem for most guilds. It all depends on what tanking classes and dps classes you got available. Your BRM will obviously not contribute that much in terms of raid CDs. Duo tanking have some more reliability to it as tank deaths really cant happen when using two tanks. It also makes exteding the frost phase longer easier, as with one tank you can bubble the stacks once at 4, but after that you are going to have to eat a stun. Eating a stun does not kill you instantly, but it is obviously easier two tanks to extend the ice phase longer.

The main benefit of solo tanking is simply to have 1 less player that needs to be taken care of by the healers during the kiting phase. As a paladin I spend a large part of the kiting phase spamming flash of light actually helping the healers, so it can make the difference with 3 healers having to heal 9 people or 3.5 healers healing 8 people.

All in all, the reason you are getting conflicting information is because both tactics are completely viable without major differences and is highly dependant on what setup you have. If your monk can come on a dps class (or sit out for one) with more raid utility, I would consider solo tanking it with a paladin, but if your choices are going BRM/Retri or Prot/WW, I would stick to two tanking.

There is also another tactic that I consider to quite fun and interesting to be honest. 1 tank 4 healers. It is quite an odd tactic but really trivialises most hard parts of the fight. Dont know if you have that option but it is one thing to consider if you are havig healing problems. It is hard to give a definite answer between what is bset 2T/3H, 1T/3H or 1T/4H. As I said, it all depends what classes you can bring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorfion View Post
    I vengeance cap briefly when solo tanking 10 normal, although that may be because my health pool is a bit low. Still, I can't imagine how you wouldn't hit vengeance cap on heroic unless you spend very little time in the non-kiting phases.
    Yeah I am vengeance capped between stack 25-30 in P1 and remain vengeance capped for first kite.

Hitting Stack 7 almost getting to 8 I only get to around 760-810k veng(I have 966k hp) I am no where near veng cap. For H Thok and that is the only place where you have a chance at getting that much veng. Even with 5 stacks on poison door I don't get anywhere near what I do before first door.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Even with 5 stacks on poison door I don't get anywhere near what I do before first door.
    That's probably because armor reduction doesn't increase vengeance gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Hitting Stack 7 almost getting to 8 I only get to around 760-810k veng(I have 966k hp) I am no where near veng cap. For H Thok and that is the only place where you have a chance at getting that much veng. Even with 5 stacks on poison door I don't get anywhere near what I do before first door.
    Basically this.
    The most veng i remember seeing is 600k when solo tanking somewhere around 7-8 stacks. Seeing how even in my wonderful gear veng cap is 900k, not sure how you guys are hitting it.

On other somewhat related note : apparently you can get veng a lot > than your max health.

Deleted
    Ehr, is my UI bullshitting me or is not the vengeance cap at 50% health? My UI says my cap is at 500k now (and was at about 390k on Thok first time we was there). That is the cap I am referring to. If vengeace cap still is at 100% of your health, then yeah, maybe you dont get capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Ehr, is my UI bullshitting me or is not the vengeance cap at 50% health? My UI says my cap is at 500k now (and was at about 390k on Thok first time we was there). That is the cap I am referring to. If vengeace cap still is at 100% of your health, then yeah, maybe you dont get capped.
    UI dun goofed, went to 780k (post patch) on N DA after eating 12 orbs.

(The reason i track veng as # instead of %)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    UI dun goofed, went to 780k (post patch) on N DA after eating 12 orbs.

(The reason i track veng as # instead of %)
    Why whole patch is a lie :/

So I guess you dont hit vengeance cap then haha.
    Now to figure out why my addon think 50% is the cap.