Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Wow as an eSport. Why not?!?

    Now we all know that Wow is a pretty succesful game and it has a pretty interesting Arena system. Soo why isn't it an eSport? In my opinion it's because Blizzard didn't push the idea towards already established eSports organizations to pick wow up. I think we have the playerbase to justify a big enough viewerbase and a lot of people would start playing if they saw how interesting the PvP aspect is! Soo more money for blizzard. I really don't know why blizzard didn't do this yet.

    Blizzard needs to encourage Organizations such as NASL, IPL and MLG to pick up Arena. It would be an interesting esport to watch

    I mean other eSports that are supported by this organizations are Tribes, LoL, Hon, Quake and a lot of fighters.

    Here are a few random examples that I found

    http://www.youtube.com/user/choleras...e=results_main

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Protatomonster

    http://www.youtube.com/user/tribesascend

    http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft/videos

    Take a look at this examples and tell me how this kinds of games have TV channels dedicated to them in certain, but not WOW, why? I mean wow has the sufficient skill ceiling required to justify competition.


    Why do you personally think wow isn't a succesfull esport?

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire Vapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Quel'thalas
    Posts
    418
    Because blizzard was shitty company to deal with to setup tournaments. Thats why many organizers dropped it. On starcraft they are doing fine job, but WoW they were just... bad.

  3. #3
    Esports need to be made from the ground up not as a game but as a sport instead. The spectator needs to be the target market and not the gamer.

  4. #4
    WoW Arena was an E-sport but it failed. It has no proper spectator mode and it will never be truely balanced. Also it is a bit too complex for the average viewer to enjoy what they see on screen.

  5. #5
    Look actual TV channels dedicated to eSports maybe Wow belongs on one of them?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GomTV#GOM_TV
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ongamenet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBCGame

    And various chinese channels with Dota and LoL.

  6. #6
    It was but then it was dropped as an "e-sport" because the repeated balancing issues or something. I couldn't care less about e-sports though, just doesn't interest me.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    WoW Arena was an E-sport but it failed. It has no proper spectator mode and it will never be truely balanced. Also it is a bit too complex for the average viewer to enjoy what they see on screen.
    Yeah, but Blizzard only needs to seperate PvP and PvE stats and add a spectator mode and there you go half way there and some marketing and you are 90% there

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 02:38 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletnips View Post
    It was but then it was dropped as an "e-sport" because the repeated balancing issues or something. I couldn't care less about e-sports though, just doesn't interest me.
    I looked it up a bit when Blizzard ''tried'' eSports wasn't as popular as it is now except in Korea

  8. #8
    Because WoW PvP wise is not even remotely balanced when it comes to classes and the game is subject to heavy rng at times. A game can be considered esport when balance is almost near perfect and the rng factor is non-existant which means that the skill level of the participants is the deciding factor of who wins and who loses.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    Yeah, but Blizzard only needs to seperate PvP and PvE stats and add a spectator mode and there you go half way there and some marketing and you are 90% there
    It is not that simple, WoW was made from the start to be a PvE game, PvP was something they just added later. They tried having WoW at Blizzcon, MLG and other big events but people got tired of it. It just isn't a fun game to watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    I looked it up a bit when Blizzard ''tried'' eSports wasn't as popular as it is now except in Korea
    The reason why E-sport is big now is because we finally have big games that people enjoy watching, people love to watch Starcraft 2, LoL and DotA but all those games were made with E-sports in mind from the start, WoW was not.

  10. #10
    They already tried this with BC and Arena, but they stopped pushing it forward because it's too complex too balance. 2on2, 3on3 and 5on5 with 10 different classes takes too much effort to balance it on an esport level without affecting the pve aspect.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finlanders
    Posts
    4,859
    WoW is nowhere near balanced to be a eSports game, Blizzard doesn't seem to care about PvP in WoW cause they already have Starcraft 2.
    Blizzard hasn't done a single thing to improve PvP in the game in Cataclysm. They removed skirmish arenas which many liked and they are too lazy to balance the game so they try again in MoP ("Fixing" RDruids in 5.0 instead of now).

    Also, GW2 is coming soon with it's great PvP and focus on eSports. Blizzard couldn't handle it y0.

    TLDR;
    Blizzard has no interest to get WoW into eSports, for more balanced game try GW2 if you dig PvP.
    Heyoo!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    It is not that simple, WoW was made from the start to be a PvE game, PvP was something they just added later. They tried having WoW at Blizzcon, MLG and other big events but people got tired of it. It just isn't a fun game to watch.


    The reason why E-sport is big now is because we finally have big games that people enjoy watching, people love to watch Starcraft 2, LoL and DotA but all those games were made with E-sports in mind from the start, WoW was not.
    I guess, but as far as I know the original SC was on TV inKorea for 13 years and still is had 3 channels dedicated to it at some point and blizzard didn't make it as an esport in mind because eSports barely existed at the time.

    It was a brain fart (I don't mean negatively, but it was a stroke of luck). If a brain fart can succede so can wow with propper support

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 02:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    WoW is nowhere near balanced to be a eSports game, Blizzard doesn't seem to care about PvP in WoW cause they already have Starcraft 2.
    Blizzard hasn't done a single thing to improve PvP in the game in Cataclysm. They removed skirmish arenas which many liked and they are too lazy to balance the game so they try again in MoP ("Fixing" RDruids in 5.0 instead of now).

    Also, GW2 is coming soon with it's great PvP and focus on eSports. Blizzard couldn't handle it y0.

    TLDR;
    Blizzard has no interest to get WoW into eSports, for more balanced game try GW2 if you dig PvP.

    Is GW2 PvP gear balanced? I mean in my opinion thats the only thing that destroys the balance in Wow andit really doesn't need to be present outside of PvE content.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    They removed skirmish arenas which many liked and they are too lazy to balance the game so they try again in MoP ("Fixing" RDruids in 5.0 instead of now).
    \
    Maybe its true
    But i thought they removed them in order to promote more the RBG-Arenas-War games
    So ppl would gather some guild friends or some old server buddies , and stop playing* solo 24/7*
    Last edited by Plzbegentle; 2012-07-27 at 02:54 PM.
    GW2 : Plzbegentle - Ruins of Surmia EU - Sylvari Engineer
    WoW: Vergin - Deathwing EU - Elf Resto Druid (27/05/05 - 02/04/12 Perma-Banned- Unhappy whinning PvP customer - whos begged from 4.1 to get rid of the RNG of Regrowth ... )
    It seems ppl have the energy to whine for a game , for not beeing exactly like their <<main>> game , while it dont have a SUB , and they dont have the courage to whine at their Game Master for slacking and producing few PvE content ...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    I guess, but as far as I know the original SC was on TV inKorea for 13 years and still is had 3 channels dedicated to it at some point and blizzard didn't make it as an esport in mind because eSports barely existed at the time.

    It was a brain fart (I don't mean negatively, but it was a stroke of luck). If a brain fart can succede so can wow with propper support

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 02:49 PM ----------




    Is GW2 PvP gear balanced? I mean in my opinion thats the only thing that destroys the balance in Wow andit really doesn't need to be present outside of PvE content.
    www cadred.org/News/Article/180835/

  15. #15
    Now we all know that Wow is a pretty succesful game and it has a pretty interesting Arena system. Soo why isn't it an eSport?
    Hmm lets see
    -Imbalance and fotm
    -not spectacular for the viewer
    -rng often deciding the fight
    just to name 3... there are more but those 3 are enough for wow to never become an esport

    I guess, but as far as I know the original SC was on TV inKorea for 13 years and still is had 3 channels dedicated to it at some point and blizzard didn't make it as an esport in mind because eSports barely existed at the time.

    It was a brain fart (I don't mean negatively, but it was a stroke of luck). If a brain fart can succede so can wow with propper support
    Firstly dont comapre an RTS game to a fucking mmo... gsus...
    Secondly it was far from "brain fart" as you call it... Sc1 is the most demanding pc game that ever existed, it was simple, spectacular and players had insane amounts of things to learn to even compete on low lvl. Not mentioning that sc1 is nearly perfectly balanced game. Sc1 had EVERYTHING in order to become an esport, wow has nothing.

  16. #16
    WoW as an e-sport would be boring as ****, but the same can be said about any other e-sport game :P

  17. #17
    1. Balance. It sucks.
    2. No spectator mode. It's nearly impossible for an average spectator who is not famillar with WoW to understand what's going on.
    3. Everything is random. And it's very bad for esport.

    edit: Dexiefy beat me to it =)

  18. #18
    Its far too unbalanced to be a good "sport".
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  19. #19
    It's not balanced....

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans Grimord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    WoW Arena was an E-sport but it failed. It has no proper spectator mode and it will never be truely balanced. Also it is a bit too complex for the average viewer to enjoy what they see on screen.

    Hit the nail right on the head.

    GOOD spectator mode is a MUST-HAVE for an eSport imho. Plus the game can be complex for the average viewer (11 classes with 3 builds each having unique skills heh!), plus the fact that classes get cyclically changed kind of make it hard to follow too (perfect example: 4.3 Warlocks vs 5.0 Warlocks).


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •