Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Balance.

First and foremost the game is balanced around PvE because that's simply what Blizzard decided WoW should focus on since it was in development, because of this the game will never be balanced around PvP ergo PvP will never be balanced.
    PvP in WoW wasn't even going to happen at all until people started requesting it, then it turned into BG's and then Arenas. PvP has always been something that was tacked on, it was never meant to truly be something a person can main.
    PvP was always designed to be something you can do on the side. Unfortunately people inevitably decided that they wanted to main PvP and thus take it seriously, despite the fact the game had never intended for there to be PvP in the first place. These people will bitch and whine that PvP is never balanced and that PvP is ignored etc etc despite the fact they know (or don't and should) that WoW was, is and always will be a PvE game.

In a nutshell? WoW has always been a PvE game, not a PvP one. PvP will never be balanced nor will it receive any where near as much attention. Accept this or move on.

If they wanted to make wow a balanced Esport they should just make some standardizations. For example have 3v3 be the focus and have weekly or monthly rotation of the 3 types of classes, which would be a healer, ranged dps, and melee dps. It would suck initially until everyone learned how to use the classes as they became available in the rotation, but at least in this system the only true difference would come in the form of RNG and more importantly Skill. But in doing this I think you would create a more competitive atmosphere where the truly best would be able to evolve and it would lead to a better understanding of the overall game mechanics for the different classes.

This is how I learned to play LoL. I had no characters bought so I just played the ones available in the weekly rotation. But in WoW's case one week/month you could have warrior/mage/priest and the next druid/shammy/rogue (in case of multi role classes you could have it to where once one and spec is selected it limits the options of the others.) But the nice thing about this is there is no imbalance. I mean you could even simplify it and say all mages have to be frost and all druids resto, paladins healers, but in the end by restricting what classes you can play you level the playing field and make the game revolve around skill.

Just an idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    No please god no. Let's not make WoW into an MLG game like Halo. In my honest opinion MLG is probably one of the worst things to happen to video games. I simply just HATE how MLG is. The players act like their some famous football player and the worst part of it all is that some people ask for their autographs! I mean come on asking a random person who happens to be really good at a video game for an autograph?? I can just see the future: "Oh cool whose autograph is that?" "Oh some guy that won a Halo 2 tournament".

Now I'm not against video game tournaments like with street fighter or something non-professional but i stop liking it when it turns into something like MLG and people make it seem like it's the greatest thing when it's not and it's a bunch of d-bags raging at each other. Also when they have to make merchandise off it like having a mic headset with the "famous" MLG player's autograph on it and other things that have the MLG logo on it. I just hate it how they're trying to make video games into a sport which it's definitely not. Leave video games as video games.

So with that said, no, I hope to the video game god that they do not make WoW into some eSport game. I honestly think it would make the shitty WoW community that it is right now even more shitty.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-07-27 at 05:41 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    Because WoW is incapable of showing crazy, epic shit like this.

Fyi for people who don't understand. Those capital ships and Archons (big blue balls of energy), are two of the most expensive units in the game. To have those Battlecruisers killed like that is something SC2 has never seen before on a big stage.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2012-07-27 at 05:43 PM.

WoW has too many class balance issues in Arena's to be a viable E-Sport. That's part of the reason why it was dropped by MLG in the first place.

You can argue all you want about how balanced it is, but when the top 50 2v2 teams all have a resto shaman on them (example, not necessarily an accurate one), it points toward imbalances. Also, as others have pointed out, it lacks a spectator mode. That's something that could be worked around, but its really hard to market and commentate on something that can only be viewed in first-person.

It used to be, but then Cata came out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kejinx View Post
    Because WoW is incapable of showing crazy, epic shit like this.

Fyi for people who don't understand. Those capital ships and Archons (big blue balls of energy), are two of the most expensive units in the game. To have those Battlecruisers killed like that is something SC2 has never seen before on a big stage.
    I don't know, this seems quite comparable (wow arena final back in wotlk):

WoW has, and most likely never will be a good eSport. And there is a great deal of reasons for this including:

Balance The game got shifting balance (new patches and stuff etc) and there is also a chance that certain teams simply have a combination of classes that is better than the other team.

Hard to watch First of all there is no good "spectator mode" for WoW arena. Second of all, it is hard to see what is going on all the time, and last, but not least, you need to have a knowledge of the game to find it enjoyable to watch.

RNG Speaks for itself... to much randomness for it to be competitive.

Blizz refuses to properly balance their game. I mean we still have racials that heavily influence pvp such as EMFH

Quote Originally Posted by Zhinkis View Post
    It's not balanced....
    This 100000x.

There is nothing else to say. WoW Arena isn't balanced. It isn't going to be balanced in MoP. Blizzard has given up. Way too much instant 8 second CC, and with the dispel nerf people are going to be sitting in CC forever in MoP.

99% of the reason it isn't an esport is because it isn't balanced. The other 1% is that Blizzard sucks at promoting their games as esports. They don't give any type of "spectator" mode for arena, and even with SC2 they just sit back and let other companies promote their game, never adding anything... and when they finally do host a SC2 tournament (Blizzcon 2011) the map pool is god awful and they don't force cross spawns. Anyone who watches any SC2 would tell you what a joke that is.

Deleted
    Arena is a fucking boring complicated mess to spectate,

Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    Now we all know that Wow is a pretty succesful game and it has a pretty interesting Arena system. Soo why isn't it an eSport?

Why do you personally think wow isn't a succesfull esport?
    Arena was a failure, according to Blizzard, so ofc it'll be impossible to balance along with BG's. While it isn't Balanced, it'll never be a true eSport because it isn't fair to any of the other classes that aren't largely represented in the chosen bracket 3v3) regularly. At least in other game, Strats develop, or build orders are experimented with in order to counter to the current "top" race/character/comp/setup. In WoW, that can't happen because it'ls being balanced on three fronts; PvE, BG's and Arena.

Now if Blizzard actually took the time to make all spells and abilities work differently in BG's/Arenas then yes, it'd be wonderful and balanced on all fronts but no. It'll too much hassle and it'll never happen. WoW will never be an eSport again until it divides up it's content and has spells working diferently according to which content you're in. Casuals(Mostly the bad ones who do naff all PvP and expect it to be as faceroll as PvE) don't understand that concept so it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    i love how you linked a classic example of why this game is no longer a e-sport.

It was boring, it was unbalanced, you can't follow it easy and RNG decided games. Nobody enjoyed watching pillar humping and RMP VS RMP in every single tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    WoW is nowhere near balanced to be a eSports game, Blizzard doesn't seem to care about PvP in WoW cause they already have Starcraft 2.
    Blizzard hasn't done a single thing to improve PvP in the game in Cataclysm. They removed skirmish arenas which many liked and they are too lazy to balance the game so they try again in MoP ("Fixing" RDruids in 5.0 instead of now).

Also, GW2 is coming soon with it's great PvP and focus on eSports. Blizzard couldn't handle it y0.

TLDR;
    Blizzard has no interest to get WoW into eSports, for more balanced game try GW2 if you dig PvP.
    ¨Nest..as many people have said before, Blizzard NEVER intended to put PvP into the game.
    players requested that and we got BG's, which worked like Dungeons back then.
    and that blizzard haven't done a single thing to improve PvP? uh..Resiliance(less dmg from players when you have ton of resiliance), trying to balance for PVP(well noted for Paladins(not holy cause they are healers ofc) yeh <.<

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I just hate it how they're trying to make video games into a sport which it's definitely not.
    What's the quote?

"Yeah...well...you know, that's just like...your opinion, man."

Don't know why I can get an autograph from a guy who can bounce a leather ball, but not from one who can micro a group of marines.

Balance issues aside, most WoW matches I saw seemed to come down to humping pillars and watching life bars. Not the most exciting thing from a spectator standpoint, IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Not that it's not exciting but compared to SC2 "archon toilet on 20+ Battlecruisers that take a huge investment of time and resources to make and annihilating them all within seconds?"

Doesn't come close, cruisers have the highest HP in the game, they are the most expensive unit to build next to Broodlords and Carriers and some of the highest DPS of any unit in the game. For a match like that to end the way that it did is simply unheard of in Terran v Protoss and it all happens within a minute especially with half of the Protoss army stuck on the island, it is easy to understand for a common spectator and isn't boring or confusing.

The WoW match results in a clutch kill which is the exciting part but pillar humping for 5 minutes? lol come on.