Server Choice Question

I was wondering if servers in GW2 will be associated with particular time zones? I would prefer to be on a server with a good amount of US EST players since that matches when I will be logged on most. Is there a list somewhere of server time zones? Thanks.

Nope. All US servers are in Dallas. They have no server times either. Most unofficial servers will be by type, or by country. Such as RP, PvP, Finnish, Aussie, ect.

I believe there's language specific ones, however.

Thanks for the response.

I'm hoping ArenaNet gives us the final server list before the game comes out, so we can figure out what servers to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezeria View Post
    I'm hoping ArenaNet gives us the final server list before the game comes out, so we can figure out what servers to go to.
    http://www.arena.net/blog/the-worlds...-weekend-event

The current list.

Follow up question: Am I locked into the home server that I used during the BWE or will I be able to change it on launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonnau View Post
    Follow up question: Am I locked into the home server that I used during the BWE or will I be able to change it on launch?
    All information besides gem purchases will be wiped for launch. Yes, you will be able to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    All information besides gem purchases will be wiped for launch. Yes, you will be able to change it.
    And friends list

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    And friends list
    Useful information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. All US servers are in Dallas. They have no server times either. Most unofficial servers will be by type, or by country. Such as RP, PvP, Finnish, Aussie, ect.

You're wrong. There is an official server time used worldwide as a reference for maintenance/ everything else, set as PDT, the same used during the Beta weekend for figure out when was going to begin and end. You can see it under options, and choose local time or server time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    You're wrong. There is an official server time used worldwide as a reference for maintenance/ everything else, set as PDT, the same used during the Beta weekend for figure out when was going to begin and end. You can see it under options, and choose local time or server time.
    I saw that there was a local time and server time setting, but didn't bother to see what the server time was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I saw that there was a local time and server time setting, but didn't bother to see what the server time was.
    During beta, me neither, i understood when was going to end when i saw the last event advertisement on chat.
    Will be useful during maintenance etc, in future. I guess there will be a localized european announcement too, logging.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    During beta, me neither, i understood when was going to end when i saw the last event advertisement on chat.
    Will be useful during maintenance etc, in future. I guess there will be a localized european announcement too, logging.
    Just a note, A-Net doesn't do maintenance like other games do. There are no 8+ hour downtimes once a week. Since I have been playing GW1 again, the server has never been down. They put a new build up occasionally that requires you to relog once and that's it. It's my understanding GW2 will operate the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Just a note, A-Net doesn't do maintenance like other games do. There are no 8+ hour downtimes once a week. Since I have been playing GW1 again, the server has never been down. They put a new build up occasionally that requires you to relog once and that's it. It's my understanding GW2 will operate the same way.
    Ok it was a bad example: when an event (let's say christmas) is going online, PDT is the reference of when it starts. "Christmas event will begin on 12/21/2012 at 8 am PDT, join us on your race capital". And an eventual local time based on your choice under options

Deleted

And the Europe ones?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    And the Europe ones?
    Frankfurt Germany.

Ah and there are now [FR] and [DE], I expect that to be the case at release.