Poll: Your opinion of non-live feed of games

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony not live! (U.S.)

Am I the only one semi-disappointed that the opening ceremony was not live for us to watch here in the United States? I have been looking forward to the London Olympics for quite sometime now, NBC, has the recordings but will be played at a later time, for commercial's to pay for the coverage... Personally I find it ridiculous that we will watch a swimmer get on the podium and grab gold, 5-8hrs after it happened!! I want to see it happen, I want to see history happen live, not delayed! Well just post your thoughts was it right of NBC.. Or do you personally find this stunt on their behalf ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooogle View Post
    Am I the only one semi-disappointed that the opening ceremony was not live for us to watch here in the United States? I have been looking forward to the London Olympics for quite sometime now, NBC, has the recordings but will be played at a later time, for commercial's to pay for the coverage... Personally I find it ridiculous that we will watch a swimmer get on the podium and grab gold, 5-8hrs after it happened!! I want to see it happen, I want to see history happen live, not delayed! Well just post your thoughts was it right of NBC.. Or do you personally find this stunt on their behalf ridiculous.
    You do realize there's quite the time difference between here and the UK don't you? The majority of the American public are not going to be willing to stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning waiting to see 2 minutes of racing. It's not a stunt...and not ridiculous. Want to see it as it happens? Go to London.

Deleted
    It's a ceremony, there's nothing to spoil about it, what does it change to you if it's live or not. However if sport events arent streamed live to you I find that ridiculous. Or you could just get some satelite tv/cable which gives you a variety of sports chanels...

Deleted
    You didn't miss much.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    You do realize there's quite the time difference between here and the UK don't you? The majority of the American public are not going to be willing to stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning waiting to see 2 minutes of racing. It's not a stunt...and not ridiculous. Want to see it as it happens? Go to London.
    The events will end at midnight london time at the latest, which is around 6pm new york time and 3 pm pacific time. Hardly the middle of the night.

Deleted
    ive only got to see highlights of it so far, and why the heck did we show off the NHS!?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    ive only got to see highlights of it so far, and why the heck did we show off the NHS!?!
    I was waiting for it to fade to black, then cut to a song and dance of people waiting in a queue with "JobCentre Sign On" displayed in fireworks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The events will end at midnight london time at the latest, which is around 6pm new york time and 3 pm pacific time. Hardly the middle of the night.
    And some events start at 9am... which I believe the East Coast is 5 or 6 hours behind us. So yeah that's like 3-5am depending on where you live.

All I'm watching is Football, Archery, Dressage, H Jumping and Swimming, maybe a bit of 100 metre here and there :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I hate NBC and hope they lose the rights to the Olympics someday. I hope they show the ceremony again because I have to work late tonight and will miss it because the stream isn't free (need a cable/sat sub so I can't even pay for it straight up) and I can't find any other streams to use they all get taken down to quickly.

The highlight of the ceremony for me was that dancing black girl with the afro. I've been scouring the internet looking for more pics lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty meh anyway.

Maybe I'm jaded or something, but nothing really wowed me.

Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    You didn't miss much.
    They missed a thrilling portrait of a nation in decline. The story of a country that's so ashamed of most of its greatest accomplishments (e.g. taking a muddy little island and turning it into a world power) that the most they can find to celebrate is their welfare state and children's authors. The PC police evidently decreed that the topic of imperialism and how the Brits brought modern civilization to large parts of the world was taboo, so instead we received a riveting drama about a girl who lost her cellphone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    so instead we received a riveting drama about a girl who lost her cellphone.
    To be fair that part of the ceremony was more about going through the different stages of modern popular music culture (although it was interesting that they left out dubstep considering that is all the rage at the moment, and originated in London).

It's worth watching just to see Mr Bean, and the Queen jump out of a helicopter.

10+ Year Old Account
    i do have to say it was pretty funny watching the queen not give two fucks about her people when they entered, cant blame her really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    It's worth watching just to see Mr Bean, and the Queen jump out of a helicopter.
    You don't honestly believe that the queen actually jumped from that helicopter do you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Most events people who watch NBC are going to get are going to be replays. Chances are people will hear about the winners hours before it makes it to television. I'm really glad I don't have to put up with that. There are 3 stations here pretty much covering the Olympics 24/7 with only a few breaks for daily news.

The Canadian broadcast is live, but is so extremely Canadian Bias
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauredfangs View Post
    The Canadian broadcast is live, but is so extremely Canadian Bias
    One would expect the Portuguese broadcast to be bias to Portugal? What's your point?

Going to be honest here China had a way better opening ceremony. It was like something was missing from this one.