New Ret PvP Set Bonuses

Item - Paladin PvP Set Retribution 2P Bonus Your Crusader Strike now also grants you 800 increased PvP power for 6 sec.
    Item - Paladin Pvp Set Retribution 4P Bonus You gain a charge of Holy Power whenever you take direct damage. This effect cannot occur more than once every 8 seconds.

I like the 4P quite a bit, it addresses, albeit not fully, one of my main concerns for Ret PvP, which is that due to mediocre heals and self-defense abilities, in combination with excellent heals and defensive skills we can use on our teammates (Selfless Healer, Glyph of Battle Healer, Hands of Protection and Sacrifice that can now be used twice via Clemency) we are a tempting focus target. While there are still many Ret PvP issues, this is a decent step forward, as being able to do more damage and healing while being focused helps us cope with a key issue.

Keep in mind that pvp power also increases the amount of healing we can do in certain pvp environments, so that is also an improvement in the context of your self-healing concerns.

Depends what damage and healing is like though, every 8 seconds is a long time, if classes can kill you in 5 seconds bursts while your healer is cc'd or w.e it's not going to stop or even that much against people tunnel visioning you.

Quote Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
    Depends what damage and healing is like though, every 8 seconds is a long time, if classes can kill you in 5 seconds bursts while your healer is cc'd or w.e it's not going to stop or even that much against people tunnel visioning you.
    What is this.. I don't even...

What would possess you to say something as dumb as that.
    If your healer is cc'd 5 whole seconds and you have 2 classes bursting on you, you deserve to die, why would something insignificant as a pvp bonus should have to deter a key aspect of pvp as coordinated cc and burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post
    Yes, it's not going to solve all our problems, and a 8 sec CD might be a bit long, 6 is probably better, but it's a step in the right direction; it's a pretty pleasant surprise that Blizzard seems to have thoughtfully and analytically addressed a significant issue for Ret: the high incentive for Ret to be focused. Also, in arena I often find myself being focused for potentially minutes at a time, so this could easily end up giving us a several extra WoGs or TVs, which would allow us to avoid going fully defensive and have a better chance of catch up on pressure and turn the tide of the fight.

Currently, focusing a Ret leads to no punishment for the other team, and that leaves Ret teams in a difficult position. Most other classes can either kite while doing damage, have defensive CDs that are so strong that the other team ends up making little progress (feral druids being a good example), or gain something from being focused such as when unholy DKs get runic power when their AMS is hit. The only disincentive people had for attacking Ret was Divine Shield, which made it so a quick zerg strat wouldn't work, but on a 5 min CD it just doesn't do much.

It's particularly annoying how Ret also gains no new abilities what so ever when we put a shield on, other than some miserable 5% block chance, I really miss Shield of Righteousness being baseline, but in general it has always been very awkward, silly, and just plain bad design that Ret gains no defensive moves with a shield on.
    Last edited by Tangra; 2012-07-28 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangra View Post
    Yes, it's not going to solve all our problems, and a 8 sec CD might be a bit long, 6 is probably better, but it's a step in the right direction; it's a pretty pleasant surprise that Blizzard seems to have thoughtfully and analytically addressed a significant issue for Ret: the high incentive for Ret to be focused. Also, in arena I often find myself being focused for potentially minutes at a time, so this could easily end up giving us a several extra WoGs or TVs, which would allow us to avoid going fully defensive and have a better chance of catch up on pressure and turn the tide of the fight.
    Actually it only equalizes us out compared to live, really. The 2-set bonus is both a damage and healing (in BGs and arena) boost though - whenever you're able to use Crusader Strike, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangra View Post
    It's particularly annoying how Ret also gains no new abilities what so ever when we put a shield on, other than some miserable 5% block chance, I really miss Shield of Righteousness being baseline, but in general it has always been very awkward, silly, and just plain bad design that Ret gains no defensive moves with a shield on.
    Guild Wars has a setup where your weapons actually define what skills you have available to use. There's still their version of the talent tree that influences those weapons though so if you switch to a different weapon set, you won't have the improved talents for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god, finally after 7 years they're changing our set bonus to be at least halfway relevant. *cheer* (although it was pretty powerful in Wrath when Judgement hit for a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Actually it only equalizes us out compared to live, really. The 2-set bonus is both a damage and healing (in BGs and arena) boost though - whenever you're able to use Crusader Strike, anyway.

Guild Wars has a setup where your weapons actually define what skills you have available to use. There's still their version of the talent tree that influences those weapons though so if you switch to a different weapon set, you won't have the improved talents for them.
    Yeah, throwing a shield on should make you feel like an amateur tank, not like an elemental shaman or some other caster shield user who is just in it for the armor, that's how it feels when a druid goes into bear form, or for a warrior playing defensively to a lesser degree. It's just silly for a melee dps to not be able to make some tactical use of a shield.
    Last edited by Tangra; 2012-07-29 at 03:13 AM.