Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ethernet speeds & cables

Since Deltrus told me to move this from the chat thread into an actual thread, I'm going to do it.

Since I'm attending Dreamhack 2 times a year & are really enjoying it, I'm not happy with being capped at 100mbps by my ethernet cable/jack.

Would I need a higher grade cable to be able to achieve speeds past 100mbps or buy a seperate pci-ethernet?

A google search didn't help me a bunch, I was capped whilst downloading Steam games/torrenting the Diablo III client to see if I was able to reach higher speeds with P2P. Not piracy, it was the game itself & there wasn't even a crack of it out by the time I was at Dreamhack Summer
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was more thinking about having this be an actual discussion thread, since it is worthy of discussion and not simply being in the fun stuff chat thread. If it has its own thread, then people who are wondering at all about Ethernet speeds, whether the port itself, the cables, or what have you, can easily find out. As I said in the chat thread though, I believe any Intel Gigabit Ethernet port is essentially that, capable of Gigabit speeds, 1000Mbit/sec, and if I recall from when I was reading about them, I think the Cat 5e Ethernet cable is capable of 300Mbit/sec speeds.

As tetrisGOAT said though, we are still limited to what our peers/servers are working at, plus for those of us in America, we are limited to the abysmal speeds our overlord corporations believe we are allowed to have.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Your only ways to increase speed are direct fiber connections which are costly, and more cable connections, or catching an upgrade to cat6 compatible hardware. cat6 is presumably capable of gigabit transfer rates, more than double that of cat5e. Any of this requires more or better hardware. I also hear there's this mythical Cat6a cable out there in the universe that handles transfer rates of 10Gbit.
    A dvd in 13 seconds....
    Last edited by Gilgemesh; 2012-07-27 at 11:36 PM.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.avxperten.dk/netvaerkskab...kabel-cat6.asp

Are these the cables you're speaking of?

I've never been limited by Origin/Steam/P2P upon downloading something, aren't America soon getting more fiber connections with Google?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

yep cat6 cables should be capable of 1gbit.

If you are running cat6 and are still capping at 100mb try making sure your network card is gigabit compatible. If it is....
    Go to your device manager and check the properties of your network adapter, under advanced settings you should see a link speed/duplex mode. Make sure you have it at 1000 full duplex.
    Last edited by Gilgemesh; 2012-07-27 at 11:43 PM.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Since Deltrus told me to move this from the chat thread into an actual thread, I'm going to do it.

Since I'm attending Dreamhack 2 times a year & are really enjoying it, I'm not happy with being capped at 100mbps by my ethernet cable/jack.

Would I need a higher grade cable to be able to achieve speeds past 100mbps or buy a seperate pci-ethernet?

A google search didn't help me a bunch, I was capped whilst downloading Steam games/torrenting the Diablo III client to see if I was able to reach higher speeds with P2P. Not piracy, it was the game itself & there wasn't even a crack of it out by the time I was at Dreamhack Summer
    All you need for 1Gbit is a Gbit NIC on your motherboard (most modern boards have this), a CAT5e or higher rated cable and a Gbit switch/router. Sometimes you also have to force 1000Base-T in your network settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks

I can't mess with the router as it's property of Telia SE/Dreamhack, but I'm pretty sure they will be able to handle it as they've got like 50 ports per router you can use.

Edit: Just found out my HTPC hybrid (Which I use for Dreamhack) only has 100mbps, so I'm gonna buy a seperate pci ethernet thing with 1000mbps.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-07-27 at 11:56 PM.

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    All you need for 1Gbit is a Gbit NIC on your motherboard (most modern boards have this), a CAT5e or higher rated cable and a Gbit switch/router. Sometimes you also have to force 1000Base-T in your network settings.
    Just did this, mine was on auto, my download used to show up around 24-25, so I suppose people on my grid are likely computing. It *is* 7PM here.

blegh. We need better internet.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Just did this, mine was on auto, my download used to show up around 24-25, so I suppose people on my grid are likely computing. It *is* 7PM here.

blegh. We need better internet.
    Well unless you have a 1Gbit connection you should see no change, this is only for times when you are using a Gbit network and it won't autodetect it.

I have to do this on my girlfriends computer otherwise it just autodetects 100Mbit and it makes for slow transfers between our computers.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-28 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Dreamhack has 120 gigabit ^^

Armory

Only for bragging rights, they hardly used 10% of it last time :P
    http://dashboard.dreamhack.se/

10+ Year Old Account
    We understand this, spoiled one!!

Now if America could start putting more of our people to work on rebuilding our infrastructure, we could easily join you all in the top countries for internet speeds, that's for sure.

Oh we're too busy playing world police. Never mind.
    "A flower.

It is not too hard to create your own cat 6 cable, you need special cable crimper tool and some cable and RJ45 caps. You can get 1000 ft for $100ish.
    Anyway i'm not suggesting everyone get a huge thing of cable, but point being its not too hard to go full cat 6 in your house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
    It is not too hard to create your own cat 6 cable, you need special cable crimper tool and some cable and RJ45 caps. You can get 1000 ft for $100ish.
    Anyway i'm not suggesting everyone get a huge thing of cable, but point being its not too hard to go full cat 6 in your house.
    While this is 100% true, most people are too lazy for this. :P
    "A flower.

While this is 100% true, most people are too lazy for this. :P
    You can always hire people to do it for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can always hire people to do it for you.
    I own a 75 foot Cat 5e cable that I believe cost me roughly $15~.

That wasn't too bad at all, imo.

Goes from the router in my dining room, through the family room behind the TV, then into the basement where it goes down the stairs and then through a little hole in the railing (that is up on some wood pillars) and behind my desk to the back of my computer. I think I have probably ~10 feet to spare.

I'll make a video showing its path sometime, if you're subbed to my YouTube (see siggy) then you'll know when it goes up. Can't post videos of mine here on mmoc unfortunately.
    "A flower.

I own a 75 foot Cat 5e cable that I believe cost me roughly $15~.

That wasn't too bad at all, imo.

Goes from the router in my dining room, through the family room behind the TV, then into the basement where it goes down the stairs and then through a little hole in the railing (that is up on some wood pillars) and behind my desk to the back of my computer. I think I have probably ~10 feet to spare.

I'll make a video showing its path sometime, if you're subbed to my YouTube (see siggy) then you'll know when it goes up. Can't post videos of mine here on mmoc unfortunately.
    Had a couple of people here installing Cat6 in my whole apartment when I got the fiber installed, got Cat6 running from the fiberconverter to the patchpanel and then cat6 to my livingroom, bedroom and even kitchen for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had a couple of people here installing Cat6 in my whole apartment when I got the fiber installed, got Cat6 running from the fiberconverter to the patchpanel and then cat6 to my livingroom, bedroom and even kitchen for some reason.
    Very nice.

Now use it. Get dat 1Gbps interwebz and SUPER MEGA Netgear switch for your LAN in your apartment, and go to town. Wire up everything with Cat6. ERRTHING!!!! You will soon find you can play full 1080p 60fps content on any damn TV in the house that can do it and be like "lol."
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    the throughput ratings for CAT cabling is at 100 meters

at less than that, CAT5 and CAT5e are both capable of GBit speeds

the speed rating has to do with the attenuation of the signal down the line, the greater the number on the CAT cable, the more twists per inch it has, and the more it is able to resist attenuation

so unless you are running a really long cable at home, whatever you have on hand is probably fine

CAT5 works alright for gigabit. Cat5e and Cat6 are better at keeping the error rate down when you have long distances and local interference. If you like you could get a dual or quad nic and bridge them. But really the bottleneck will be your hard drive. Doing computations is fine if you keep everything in RAM.