The cure for acne?

Okay so I don't research acne medically or anything but, I have now had a very suprising? hypothesis. Well, when I was younger and had acne problems when I went to the beach, my acne would seem to either vanish or become much less of a problem. I was thinking that maybe a combination Vitamin D and Salt Water may stop/slow down acne. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. I also have found many testimonials online that water with epsom salt has helped people and found this very interesting study conducted in 1938 about Vitamin D....

http://lighttherapyoptions.com/2008/...in-d-and-acne/

"Of the 132 acne patients he studied, 28% were “much better” at three months. 47% were “healed at three months.”"

"I believe I may say that at no time in my dermatological experience have I felt such complete satisfaction with a treatment as I have with the cases of this series. I know that vitamin D is an imperfect weapon to slay this disfiguring disease, but it undoubtedly gives one a feeling of being well defended. From the patients’ viewpoint, it has left little to be desired, as they find themselves improving, both in appearance and in general well-being. Many have expressed the sentiment, “Never felt better.”"

So do you have any opinions/testimonials of your own? =p
    Last edited by Packers; 2012-07-28 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers View Post
    Okay so I don't research acne medically or anything but, I have now had a very suprising? hypothesis. Well, when I was younger and had acne problems when I went to the beach, my acne would seem to either vanish or become much less of a problem. I was thinking that maybe a combination Vitamin D and Salt Water may stop/slow down acne. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. I also have found many testimonials online that water with epsom salt has helped people and found this very interesting study conducted in 1938

"Of the 132 acne patients he studied, 28% were “much better” at three months. 47% were “healed at three months.”"

"I believe I may say that at no time in my dermatological experience have I felt such complete satisfaction with a treatment as I have with the cases of this series. I know that vitamin D is an imperfect weapon to slay this disfiguring disease, but it undoubtedly gives one a feeling of being well defended. From the patients’ viewpoint, it has left little to be desired, as they find themselves improving, both in appearance and in general well-being. Many have expressed the sentiment, “Never felt better.”"

The salt water drys the skin out and gets rid of the excess oils in your skin. It works great for poison ivy too.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd be much better off consulting a dermatologist rather than two amateur alt-med fans with no medical training, a paper that's 74 years old, or random testimonials you stumble across.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    You'd be much better off consulting a dermatologist rather than two amateur alt-med fans with no medical training, a paper that's 74 years old, or random testimonials you stumble across.
    Consult a dermatologist and tell him I think I found a possible solution for other people? Yeah, i'm on my way!!! =D

And since when does a study being old (if conducted correctly) make it less valid?
    Last edited by Packers; 2012-07-28 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consult a dermatologist and tell him I think I found a possible solution for other people?
    You didn't make your intent clear.

And since when does a study being old (if conducted correctly) make it less valid?
    It's not necessarily invalid due to its age, but I'm sure not going to trust the interpretation of tinfoil peddlers on the website you linked.

Don't you think it'd be wiser to look for information from modern studies first? And more importantly, see what actual medical resources say?

Testimonials are a really bad means of trying to establish the validity of a claim.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-07-28 at 02:51 AM.

As far as I know the reason for acne is the hormonal changes in your body first of all. Sure, it is not the only possible reason as the problem can be in the simple absence of the appropriete personal hygiene and the face care. For example,I noticed that I had acne several times when i forgot to remove my make-up in the evening and went to bed having much make up on my poor skin so that it couldn't breathe and the next day I saw an irritation and acne as a result of some kind of unnatural components inside my pinholes. The other period when I had acne was my pregnancy when the hormones' level was always changing and I had some skin problems. As I had to use only natural remedies then. I have never known before that at home there are so many simple and cheap remedies which are always at hand and the baking soda is just one of them. I have tried recipes with honey and apple vinegar, lemon juice and the coconut oil, but the baking soda I liked most of all!
    '

Okay so I don't research acne medically or anything but, I have now had a very suprising? hypothesis. Well, when I was younger and had acne problems when I went to the beach, my acne would seem to either vanish or become much less of a problem. I was thinking that maybe a combination Vitamin D and Salt Water may stop/slow down acne. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. I also have found many testimonials online that water with epsom salt has helped people and found this very interesting study conducted in 1938 about Vitamin D....

Salt water and sun always cleared up my skin. But the issue didn't clear up completely until I changed my diet. I thought it was sugar the whole time, when it was actually dairy.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Remove all skin. Guaranteed cure.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a four+ year old thread.

Closing.