Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Second roll.

That said, when this does occur, I have yet to see one occur where on the second hidden roll the winner's name didn't come first alphabetically.

Player C: 73
    Player A: 100
    Player B : 100
    Player D: 56

Player A wins, as A comes before B.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    If two people roll (1-100), there are 10.000 different combinations. 1 and 1-100, 2 and 1-100 and so forth. Out of those 10.000 different combinations there are 100 with identical rolls. 100 : 10.000 (or 1 :100) is therefore correct. It's pretty the much the odds of having the 2nd person roll the same as the 1st person.
    Just like if 2 people flip a coin, there is a 50% chance they'll get the same thing not 25%. HH, HT, TH, TT. HH and TT are 2:4. People are confusing permutation with combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Second roll.

That said, when this does occur, I have yet to see one occur where on the second hidden roll the winner's name didn't come first alphabetically.

Player C: 73
    Player A: 100
    Player B : 100
    Player D: 56

Player A wins, as A comes before B.
    Making it alphabetically to determine who wins would be unfair to those with names starting with a later letter.
    What you've observed must have been a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    Making it alphabetically to determine who wins would be unfair to those with names starting with a later letter.
    What you've observed must have been a coincidence.
    That's what I was saying. Every time i've witnessed this occurring it always goes to whoever's name comes first alphabetically. I'm sure it's coincidence, but every time it happens in my guild, you better hope your name starts with an A, lol.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    This really helped me - thank you. I was almost about to do the same post,happened to me lots of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    That's what I was saying. Every time i've witnessed this occurring it always goes to whoever's name comes first alphabetically. I'm sure it's coincidence, but every time it happens in my guild, you better hope your name starts with an A, lol.
    You're going to see people name changing to Ààáâãäæåàáâã if that was the case, lol.

actually this was explained a long, long time ago
    each roll actually includes hidden decimals. so when it says you rolled 99 you may have rolled 98.9 or 99.4356521, etc
    rather than use a hidden roll it just goes to the highest number based on the hidden decimals

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    actually this was explained a long, long time ago
    each roll actually includes hidden decimals. so when it says you rolled 99 you may have rolled 98.9 or 99.4356521, etc
    rather than use a hidden roll it just goes to the highest number based on the hidden decimals
    Ah. That makes more sense.

I wonder what would happen in the extreme, astronomically rare case of the decimals being same, since the float length must be finite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    If two people roll (1-100), there are 10.000 different combinations. 1 and 1-100, 2 and 1-100 and so forth. Out of those 10.000 different combinations there are 100 with identical rolls. 100 : 10.000 (or 1 :100) is therefore correct. It's pretty the much the odds of having the 2nd person roll the same as the 1st person.
    Well you just totally left out that there are more than two people in a party usually, which means that this will only be a problem when two people roll the same number AND is the two highest rolls in the party... depending on the size of the group that would mean the need for a second roll would become increasingly less frequent the larger the group gets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Well you just totally left out that there are more than two people in a party usually, which means that this will only be a problem when two people roll the same number AND is the two highest rolls in the party... depending on the size of the group that would mean the need for a second roll would become increasingly less frequent the larger the group gets.
    It doesn't matter what number is rolled. Whomever has the highest roll, any other person has a 1:100 chance of matching it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynistra View Post
    You're going to see people name changing to Ààáâãäæåàáâã if that was the case, lol.
    That name would probably come after Z, since it starts with an accented character.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    coin flip, therefore 50% chance (close to 50% actually as it's a digital random function) to win if 2 people rolled the same value