Xbox 360 Controller for Windows?

I've been playing Batman Arkham City on my pc lately. While the mouse and keyboard works pretty well most of the time, there are certain things that bug me and i want to hook up an Xbox 360 controller. I was wondering; Do you have to buy a controller that specifically works on computers? Or is there a way to connect a regular Xbox 360 controller?

If it's a wired controller then you can simply plug it in. If it's wireless then you have to get a wireless receiver dongle. They're ~$20 or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    A regular 360 controller with a usb cable works just fine.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    You can use the wireless one if you get a wireless receiver but must places have stopped selling them if you dont buy them togheter with a 360pad (atleast here in sweden) also everyone around me that got them or had says that they break all the time (take this with a grain of salt but becos everyone i knew and every damn store i asked said the same i just tought nwm il get the wired one)

So i got the wired 360pad and it was cheaper aswell (around 20€ even) and its just plug and play and can be used on the 360 aswell and you will never have to worry about batteries again atleast.

If you happen to has spare PS3 controller hanging around you can connect it with a SUB cord or a Bluetooth adapter, and using MotioninJoy (found here: http://www.motioninjoy.com/) to make it work like a 360 controller. It works for me.

i would strongly recommend a wired controller. The cord is plenty long, the wireless dongle is really bad, and it works for most games. I do not have a 360 but both me and my gf have an xbox controller(she really only plays dungeon defenders) but its way better especially for her than using a keyboard

10+ Year Old Account
    Worse case scenario, you would have to map out the whole controller. You can use and 360 or PS3 controller though. PS3 usually require Motionjoy so that it can emulate a 360 controller, but you soon learn that the controllers are almost identical.

Well, yes, I had to use keyboard remapper for that game. But I wouldn't play it with controller. Mouse and keyboard is way too good. You just need a script program that sends enough left mouse button down message that puts any console kiddie to shame lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fatalaeon View Post
    i would strongly recommend a wired controller. The cord is plenty long, the wireless dongle is really bad, and it works for most games. I do not have a 360 but both me and my gf have an xbox controller(she really only plays dungeon defenders) but its way better especially for her than using a keyboard
    Why is the wireless dongle bad? I haven't had any issues with mine.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    If you happen to has spare PS3 controller hanging around you can connect it with a SUB cord or a Bluetooth adapter, and using MotioninJoy (found here: http://www.motioninjoy.com/) to make it work like a 360 controller. It works for me.
    Would also recommend this as the cheapest way, but most places have stopped selling the dongles that I have seen. This is mostly because Microsoft wanted to sell their wireless Xbox controller that is made specifically for the PC....which naturally they always have in stock.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had great success with my Razer Onza TE controller i got for my bday this year. But any wired controller should work unless you want wireless then you can buy a $50 pack that has a controller and dongle. You can do some of the other methods here as well but I have lost patience with workarounds. You can buy an afterglow controller for $30 that works as well as a normal xbox controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had a lot of trouble setting MotionJoy up, there must be something I'm doing wrong because I swear I get so close but it just doesn't work in the end.
    Hey everyone

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a wired Xbox 360 Controller, plug it in, wait for Windows to recognize and install it. Enjoy games that support it. Batman is one of them.
    Some games are just meant to be played with gamepad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a wired xbox controller in a package marked "for windows" etc, lol, being like 40 dollars more than the normal wired xbox controller, which is exactly the same. You can't buy a wireless and a play and charge kit, just a heads up, it won't work in the PC, it only charges the controller via the pc. You can buy the dongle off ebay or the internet if you want wireless, noting u will need to charge it. I would just buy the wired controller tbh. I note eb in australia are selling some weird brand of xbox controller where the entire thing looks exactly the same except for the start buttons, which are up the top for very cheap.

If you want to know which games support it, on steam, on the store page of each game, on the right hand side down the bottom, it usually lists a little controller saying it works with gamepads etc, if it does.