[MoP] Warlock Pets

I did some testings about the strength of warlock pets and their supremacy equivalents. I compared the damage of pet abilities and autoattacks at two different spell power levels and calculated their coefficients. These are my results at the time of actual beta build 15913.

Pet Coefficient Supremacy Pet Coefficient
    Imp Fel Imp
    Firebolt 100% Felbolt 120% +20%
    Voidwalker Voidlord
    Melee 50% Melee 60% +20%
    Torment 30% Torment 36% +20%
    Felhunter Observer
    Melee 50% Melee 60 +20%
    Shadow Bite 58.9% Tongue Lash 70.68% +20%
    Succubus Shivarra
    Melee 35% Melee 50%
    Melee - Off-hand 25% +110%
    Lash of Pain 80% Bladedance 96% +20%
    Felguard Wrathguard
    Melee 50% Melee 50%
    Melee - Off-hand 25% +50%
    Legion Strike 50% Mortal Cleave 37.5% -25%
    Felstorm 75% * 6 Wrathstorm 50% * 6 -33%

Can someone please check my results and ask the developers if those numbers are intended?

Some observations:
    • Fel Imp, Voidlord and Observer deal 20% more damage than their non-supremacy counterparts (as expected)
    • Shivarra deals 110% more autoattack damage than succubus, due to 40% more mainhand damage and offhand strikes
    • Wrath Guard deals 50% more autoattack damage than Fel Guard, due to offhand strikes
    • Wrath Guard's style damage is significantly lower than Fel Guard's

Conclusions:
    • Imp, Succubus and Felhunter deal quite equal amounts of damage, distributed differently to autohits and abilities
    • Voidwalker's damage is low until he takes damage himself (solo/tanking pet)
    • Shivarra seems to be the strongest supremacy pet for non-demo specs, due to significantly higher autoattack damage than succubus (bug?)
    • Wrathguard seems not being worth talenting into "Grimoire of Supremacy"

please excuse bad english, im no native speaker

Great post, this addresses an issue I've been looking over for the past few days, what I've seen is that Observer is the best single target pet for demo. And yes the Wrathguard isn't as good, but he's intended solely for AoE just like the Felguard. I've had issues where the Shivarra seems to not want to melee, she will stand there until the CD from Bladedance comes off and back and forth, really odd. Also your English is fine, better than many who claim it as their first language

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you for testing this.

So will affic locks run with Shivarras now or do you think it is justed bugged

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Interesting posting indeed, I play my destruction since the end of Burning Crusade so I've been wondering which pet will be better to destruction warlocks in MoP but it seems to me that warlocks will 'need' to go affliction, altough I haven't played beta or PTR so I don't know it first hand.

Cheers.

Has anyone posted this to the US forums yet ? If not, I will post in that big balance thread.

How did you do your test, so I can attempt to replicate for myself ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    With just some quick and dirty testing my Wrathguard seems to do fine, better than +20% in fact compared to Felguard in same gear etc. So might be that the extra off hand attacks make up for the fact his specials are lower? The difference will be more obvious with cleaving and AoE, but I have a shrewd suspicion that this might be intended to make sure he's not TOO good in AoE.

Shivarra is most likely a bug though, she was doing as much damage in Affliction as my Wrathguard in Demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    How did you do your test, so I can attempt to replicate for myself ?
    I toggled Dark Intent on and off, compared damage numbers in tooltips/pet screen to those at the lvl 60 target dummy (to minimize physical damage reduction) and divided the damage difference by my spellpower difference (and mastery for demo) to achieve scaling coefficients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    With just some quick and dirty testing my Wrathguard seems to do fine, better than +20% in fact compared to Felguard in same gear etc. So might be that the extra off hand attacks make up for the fact his specials are lower? The difference will be more obvious with cleaving and AoE, but I have a shrewd suspicion that this might be intended to make sure he's not TOO good in AoE.

Shivarra is most likely a bug though, she was doing as much damage in Affliction as my Wrathguard in Demo.
    I seem to remember a blue quote regarding the wrathguard being balanced around dual wielding and this resulting in a rather complicated comparison to Felguard. Or maybe GC was just say Wrathguards has a higher miss-chance because he dual-wields.

Does wrathstorm only do damage from the main weapon or damage from both weapons? It may that dual-wield wrathstorm has to have a lower coefficient and still does more damage that 2H Felstorm. . .
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-07-30 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    Does wrathstorm only do damage from the main weapon or damage from both weapons? It may that dual-wield wrathstorm has to have a lower coefficient and still does more damage that 2H Felstorm. . .
    Wrathstorm hits simply deal 66% of the damage of Felstorm, as supposed from the tooltip (100% weapon dmg vs. 150%). Only autoattacks are affected by dualwielding.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes but does wrathstorm hit more often?

If he is spinning with two weapons he may be hitting like 80% weapon damage with his main hand and 40% weapon damage with his off-hand (or something) (120% damage but divided between two strikes per tick), whereas FG is just 100% WD with only one weapon.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-07-30 at 06:18 PM.

Wrathstorm hits are always exactly the same amount as Wrathguard's main-hand autoattacks. There are no additional smaller hits.

Edit: Tested it again. Wrathstorm hits 6 times on a single target for 100% main-hand weapon damage, as stated in the tooltip.
    Last edited by luckydevours; 2012-07-30 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is the case, there is something seriously wrong with Wrathguard.

---------- Post added 2012-07-30 at 02:30 PM ----------

What i would have expected, but what is apparently not the case
    would be that every attack the Wrathgaurd does is actually done with two weapons, but that those weapons weapons deal 80% and (1/2)*80% respectively of the Felguard's weapon,

So take for example, Legion Strike vs Mortal Strike:
    Legion Strike's Tooltip states that it does Weapon Damage (ie. 100%),
    Mortal Strike's tooltip states it does 150% Weapon Damage, which we could assume is actually 100% + 50% combined (like Storm strike or Mutilate)
    that would mean Mortal Strike should be doing 80%+40% of the FG's weapon (120%)

and 120% is what we would expect since the Supremacy demons are supposed 20% stronger.

it may be that it is not even supposed to be working this way, but if WG is doing less damage than FG, then something is wrong with the Wrathguard, and it we to tell Blizzard about it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-30 at 02:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    Wrathstorm hits are always exactly the same amount as Wrathguard's main-hand autoattacks. There are no additional smaller hits.

Edit: Tested it again. Wrathstorm hits 6 times on a single target for 100% main-hand weapon damage, as stated in the tooltip.
    oh and you are right that Felstorm's tooltip states that it does 150% weapon damage and Wrathstrom's states that it does 100%, What the f*** is up with that?

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 07:52 AM ----------

ugh, i just tested it out and indeed Wrathguard does less damage in with Mortal Strike and Wrathstorm. Yuck.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-07-30 at 06:33 PM.