Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
21
... LastLast
  1. #201
    High Overlord Luciev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ursa Minor Beta
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    I believe that's the end of this discussion, thanks for participating people.

    Cya next time.
    If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Oh my, a ghost thread.
    I guess it's time to post this again.

    OT: Nope.


    Every single ghost thread on MMOC ever:
    Hi guys I believe in gho-
    YOU'RE STUPID, SCIENCE AND STUFF.
    YOU'RE STUPID, BE MORE OPEN-MINDED.
    YOU'RE STUPID, SCIENCE AND STUFF.
    YOU'RE STUPID, BE MORE OPEN-MINDED.

    For about 10-30 pages, the above video is also linked in every single thread and eventually it gets locked because it's all just covered in flames.
    I really love this video series.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Well, i'm one of those people that don't believe string theory so lightly just because it sounds nice or because it makes sense. At the moment, to me, it's as real a possibility as the Flying Spaghetti Monster (don't get me wrong, i'm not degrading string theory). Ie, until i see evidence, i will be utterly neutral about it.
    String theory isn't a very good example here. Most of the people who are working on it don't believe in it, they are fully aware it's nothing more than a weak hypothesis at this point.

  4. #204
    I do believe that ghosts exist, to be more exact, entities. I think that there are things that exist, but we can't see them. I don't know why but that's probably because of our brain, just like with the sound, we can't hear all types of sounds, so it only makes sense that we can't see everything too, do you know what I mean?

    Personally the only weird thing I had was when I was like 16 years old, I went into my parents room to put the laundry on their bed, I light up the lights and all of the sudden all went black and the light bulb(wtv it is) cracked or something. That shit scared the hell out of me. Now a days nothing else happened except that, and to be honest if something like this or what you said happens to me I just try to calm and enjoy. Although these events might be scary..hey I don't know just try to understand them?

    My mom has a friend of 52 years old that is a medium or something. The dude looks at you and he knows everything about you, just with one glare, pretty scary shit. Just by standing near him I was kinda uncomfortable because I was thinking some private stuff and that.. lol

    Btw, those things might be happening for several reason, either the spirit is just there passing throw, or when that house was built, it was built under a grave of someone or something and that sometimes can disturb the ambient you know? But who knows!

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I do believe that ghosts exist, to be more exact, entities. I think that there are things that exist, but we can't see them. I don't know why but that's probably because of our brain, just like with the sound, we can't hear all types of sounds, so it only makes sense that we can't see everything too, do you know what I mean?
    That's a nice hypothesis and all but there's one "little" flaw with it: if it's there and we can't see it then it's indistinguishable from it not being there at all to begin with.

  6. #206
    Legendary! Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I do believe that ghosts exist, to be more exact, entities. I think that there are things that exist, but we can't see them. I don't know why but that's probably because of our brain, just like with the sound, we can't hear all types of sounds, so it only makes sense that we can't see everything too, do you know what I mean?
    We got tools that allow us to see the different wavelenghts of light, same goes for sounds. No ghosts.

    My mom has a friend of 52 years old that is a medium or something. The dude looks at you and he knows everything about you, just with one glare, pretty scary shit. Just by standing near him I was kinda uncomfortable because I was thinking some private stuff and that.. lol!
    If your mom's friend wants 1 million dollar, tell him to go here: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  7. #207
    Moderator Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I do believe that ghosts exist, to be more exact, entities. I think that there are things that exist, but we can't see them. I don't know why but that's probably because of our brain, just like with the sound, we can't hear all types of sounds, so it only makes sense that we can't see everything too, do you know what I mean?

    Personally the only weird thing I had was when I was like 16 years old, I went into my parents room to put the laundry on their bed, I light up the lights and all of the sudden all went black and the light bulb(wtv it is) cracked or something. That shit scared the hell out of me. Now a days nothing else happened except that, and to be honest if something like this or what you said happens to me I just try to calm and enjoy. Although these events might be scary..hey I don't know just try to understand them?

    My mom has a friend of 52 years old that is a medium or something. The dude looks at you and he knows everything about you, just with one glare, pretty scary shit. Just by standing near him I was kinda uncomfortable because I was thinking some private stuff and that.. lol

    Btw, those things might be happening for several reason, either the spirit is just there passing throw, or when that house was built, it was built under a grave of someone or something and that sometimes can disturb the ambient you know? But who knows!
    Or you're just full of shit. Oh my god. Will someone please lock this before the psychological pain kills me.

  8. #208
    Pit Lord Worgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vanilla WoW servers
    Posts
    2,256
    I used to not believe in such things, and thought anyone who saw them were simply delusional. I've come to realize that's an arrogant position. There's an infinite number of things in this universe we do not understand. I've never encountered a ghost, but there are people in my family who vehemently swear that they have. Any "logical" explanation I tried to present to them has been rejected. They experienced something very significant. What it was, I cannot say.

  9. #209
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    11,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Or you're just full of shit. Oh my god. Will someone please lock this before the psychological pain kills me.
    I'm glad people here are so accepting of other peoples experience if they go against what they believe in.

    You people are no better than the crazy religious fanatics that will beat you to death with their doctrine. You're all the same.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-30 at 06:02 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I used to not believe in such things, and thought anyone who saw them were simply delusional. I've come to realize that's an arrogant position. There's an infinite number of things in this universe we do not understand. I've never encountered a ghost, but there are people in my family who vehemently swear that they have. Any "logical" explanation I tried to present to them has been rejected. They experienced something very significant. What it was, I cannot say.
    This honestly... it is quite arrogant to assume. Well we know this much with current science, there is no possibility science may advance and we could indeed find something. Oh we live in a universe with almost infinite possibilties but you know what...this one doesn't exist because we haven't found proof of it yet.

    We don't know if they ever will find proof or won't and those that say why won't are arrogant and those that say they most certainly will are equally arrogant. Maybe less so if they have experienced something. Haven't we learned yet? Just because all we assume to be true is currently true and all we assume that hasn't been found true is false is ridiculous. At one point in history blah blah blah, then we learned more and blah blah blah. It keeps going on and on like this.

    THIS IS IT THIS IS ALL THERE IS! OH WAIT WE FOUND NEW STUFF IT'S NOT HOW WE THOUGHT! 100 years later repeat.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I used to not believe in such things, and thought anyone who saw them were simply delusional. I've come to realize that's an arrogant position. There's an infinite number of things in this universe we do not understand. I've never encountered a ghost, but there are people in my family who vehemently swear that they have. Any "logical" explanation I tried to present to them has been rejected. They experienced something very significant. What it was, I cannot say.
    Have you considered that they might be just... making things up? Just because they're your friends or family doesn't make them immune from it. Whenever you're dealing with imperfect people (as we all are) always keep Occam's razor in mind. But even before that keep in mind that in many unplausible situations coloring one's story isn't the most usual explanation but pure and simple lying (this is basic psychology).
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-07-30 at 10:13 PM.

  11. #211
    Moderator Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I'm glad people here are so accepting of other peoples experience if they go against what they believe in.

    You people are no better than the crazy religious fanatics that will beat you to death with their doctrine. You're all the same.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-30 at 06:02 PM ----------



    This honestly... it is quite arrogant to assume. Well we know this much with current science, there is no possibility science may advance and we could indeed find something. Oh we live in a universe with almost infinite possibilties but you know what...this one doesn't exist because we haven't found proof of it yet.

    We don't know if they ever will find proof or won't and those that say why won't are arrogant and those that say they most certainly will are equally arrogant. Maybe less so if they have experienced something. Haven't we learned yet? Just because all we assume to be true is currently true and all we assume that hasn't been found true is false is ridiculous. At one point in history blah blah blah, then we learned more and blah blah blah. It keeps going on and on like this.

    THIS IS IT THIS IS ALL THERE IS! OH WAIT WE FOUND NEW STUFF IT'S NOT HOW WE THOUGHT! 100 years later repeat.
    I don't care if you think i'm a fanatic. This isn't a matter of of experience or belief. You don't believe elephants exist. You know they do, because you have evidence for it. You expect me to respect the opinions of people who say that if a light bulb spontaneously brakes it must be the work of "ghosts" who don't abide by the laws of physics? Are you saying i should also respect the opinions of those who believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well? Because, you know, the evidence for either is NON-EXISTENT. Should i also respect the opinions of Christians who tell me i can't marry someone i love just because i'm gay? Respecting other people's opinions isn't something everyone should get in every argument. You have to earn it. You don't earn it by making up things just so you can explain something only YOU have seen while also saying it's unexplainable.

    Edit: And you think the guy i said was full of shit isn't indeed full of shit up to his throat? He said that some guy that looked at him knew everything about him, without explaining how he (the poster) found out the guy indeed found out everything about him. I mean, what the frak.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-07-30 at 10:52 PM.

  12. #212
    I know this is off topic but I couldn't see the whole Thread title and once I read "Do you believe in"- I immediately finished it by singing "life after love" you know that song from Cher

  13. #213
    Warchief Letmesleep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Spooning you without your knowledge
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    I bookmarked that youtube video in preparation for the next MMO Champ ghost thread (you know, just in case you aren't around). Don't really know why people blindly believe in things as silly as ghosts. It's not even worth discussion at this point as no new evidence for ghosts/spirits/whatever has been put forth.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-07-30 at 10:39 PM.

  14. #214
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    11,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I don't care if you think i'm a fanatic. This isn't a matter of of experience or belief. You don't believe elephants exist. You know they do, because you have evidence for it. You expect me to respect the opinions of people who say that if a light bulb spontaneously brakes it must be the work of "ghosts" who don't abide by the laws of physics? Are you saying i should also respect the opinions of those who believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well? Because, you know, the evidence for either is NON-EXISTENT. Should i also respect the opinions of Christians who tell me i can't marry someone i love just because i'm gay? Respecting other people's opinions isn't something everyone should get in every argument. You have to earn it. You don't earn it by making up things just so you can explain something only YOU have seen while also saying it's unexplainable.

    Edit: And you think the guy i said was full of shit isn't indeed full of shit up to his throat? He said that some guy that looked at him knew everything about him, without explaining how he (the poster) found out the guy indeed found out everything about him. I mean, what the frak.
    What about the Christians that are pro gay rights and fight for gay rights and have gay pastors and perform gay marriages and are open you know... like one of the most popular protestant churches. Evangelical Lutheran, or will you group them in as well.

    I'm gay I don't go around randomly hating on ALL Christians because many of them aren't how you would think they are.

    Also our technology constantly advances. It's possible such a thing could exist, we simply don't know.

    I neither believe or disbelieve I simply have no real opinion on the matter. It is possible, but I have never experienced anything and I do not dismiss every person. I keep an open mind to the possibility. To say it's absolutely impossible simply isn't... knowable.

    What I find so disgusting is that... a person simply asked if anyone ever had a similar experience and what do we get? A bunch of people bashing others and debating belief when this isn't what was asked to begin with. The amount of dickery on this topic is just absurd to me and rude.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-07-30 at 11:27 PM.

  15. #215
    Moderator Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What about the Christians that are pro gay rights and fight for gay rights and have gay pastors and perform gay marriages and are open you know... like one of the most popular protestant churches. Evangelical Lutheran, or will you group them in as well.

    I'm gay I don't go around randomly hating on ALL Christians because many of them aren't how you would think they are.
    As i said, i don't respect the opinions of those that don't fit into that group. I don't have anything against those you described (which don't exist here, only Catholics do) unless they go around pushing their dogma down my throat. My post might've sounded like a generalisation, but i have never met a christian who fits into the group you described.

    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I neither believe or disbelieve I simply have no real opinion on the matter. It is possible, but I have never experienced anything and I do not dismiss every person. I keep an open mind to the possibility. To say it's absolutely impossible simply isn't... knowable.
    That's all i'm asking. That people treat it like the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If you don't have proof for it, then don't go around saying something like that and expecting people to believe you. And please don't tell me that ghosts are more likely than a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Because, you know, they're not, both are a man-made construct. What do you expect people would tell me if i told them i genuinely believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster? That i'm crazy, so why do ghosts (and god, but let's not discuss that) get special treatment? Occam's Razor: the simplest explenation in this case is that the poster i was replying to is lying. Especially considering how he poorly described both of his experiences.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-07-31 at 12:02 AM.

  16. #216
    What I find interesting, particularly with people who do/do not believe in ghosts, is the mob mentality that can change very drastically when you are amongst an imbalanced group. Its funny aswell that the post above me is somehow about gay marriage(I dont care to read exactly how that came into play) because the same mob mentality often comes into play in those arguments aswell depended on how balanced the group is.

    For instance, if you have two "believers", two "non", and a few no opinions, and you bring up ghosts, both parties with throw some vague I dos and and I donts, maybe an odd personally story or two, but you dont see that strong fighting "IM RIGHT GODDAMMIT!!!" determination. Drop even one, or add to either group, and as soon as they prevailing party realizes it has the numbers it attempts to completely dominate the mindset of the other parties, weather it be the neutrals or opposite, usually the neutral first. It quickly changes from "I do, but I could be wrong" to "I do, and you're an idiot for not agreeing with US". I realize it is simple human behaviour, but it really is interesting, and I wonder what particularly it is about issues like these that makes issues demonstrate it so drastically. Is it because of the split between them? People spend so much time in crowds that already agree on most issues, that they simply see eye to eye on most things? Or is that theres no rhyme or reason for who is for/against either issue, someone from any background can fall into either category very easily from a few person passed events. Very interesting in any case.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    As i said, i don't respect the opinions of those that don't fit into that group. I don't have anything against those you described (which don't exist here, only Catholics do) unless they go around pushing their dogma down my throat. My post might've sounded like a generalisation, but i have never met a christian who fits into the group you described.



    That's all i'm asking. That people treat it like the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If you don't have proof for it, then don't go around saying something like that and expecting people to believe you. And please don't tell me that ghosts are more likely than a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Because, you know, they're not, both are a man-made construct. What do you expect people would tell me if i told them i genuinely believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster? That i'm crazy, so why do ghosts (and god, but let's not discuss that) get special treatment? What i mind about these people is that they absorb every single stupid idea and think it's true, no matter the fact there's absolutely no evidence, or that the pointers towards it might be explained naturally.
    Absolutely no evidence? If someone experiences something, then there is enough evidence for that single person. For some reason you fail to see that people who actually posted their experiences in this thread are in no need to prove them selves to anyone. People like you who are calling anyone with a paranormal experience stupid, ignorant and simple minded are the ones crying for prove.

    I do understand that people do not believe such a stories and frankly, i wouldn't believe that if you told me that you have seen the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the true way of a life is that of a Pastafarian But i still wouldn't go on and be so damn rude to you, i would simply ignore you and let you believe what you want to.

    Point is that if someone has seen something that is as clearly in front of you as a normal human being would be standing a few meters from you, there is no way to convince that person otherwise. You do not have to believe it without any proof, that would be stupid, but calling that person a liar is equally stupid.

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Absolutely no evidence? If someone experiences something, then there is enough evidence for that single person.
    Call it empirical evidence then. And that isn't something that is dependant on an individual.

    Point is that if someone has seen something that is as clearly in front of you as a normal human being would be standing a few meters from you, there is no way to convince that person otherwise.
    Haven't we been through this already? What is the point in having a conversation if you by your own admission admit at the very beginning of the argument that you will not change your mind no matter what? Weren't you arguing for an open mind? Can you not really see how you are contradicting yourself?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-07-31 at 12:16 AM.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Haven't we been through this already? What is the point in having a conversation if you by your own admission admit at the very beginning of the argument that you will not change your mind no matter what?
    I admitted few pages back that i might have been mistaken. I am not saying that there isn't a slight possibility that i might have been mistaken and my personal experience wouldn't be something very easily explainable by "brainclich" or something like that. I am just saying that the possibility in my opinion is so minimal that i do not consider that really a possibility. What i saw, and i'm not saying it is a ghost, i do not know what the hell it was, was in front of my eyes so clearly that it is very very unlikely that it wasn't there. And this happened 5 times in different days, that is quite a lot of times in my opinion.

    Not all conversations are about proving that you are right, having a conversation doesn't always have to be an argument.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    I am just saying that the possibility in my opinion is so minimal that i do not consider that really a possibility.
    Well that's just the thing, your opinion of your own senses isn't infallible just because you are you and because you say so. Frankly it makes your claims seem even more dubious when you outright claim you are nigh infallible. For example a person in a mental hospital isn't qualified to decide on their own condition, they don't get out if they declare themselves healthy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •