Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    There is a theory that our consciousness could be located in another dimension and manifest in us perhaps using some type of electronic tuning mechanism. It's not completely far fetched. Could say it's like string theory.

I find it quite interesting that people will call others fools if they don't "just" believe in science... I mean some of the greatest minds weren't atheist and yet science tends to forget this.

10+ Year Old Account
    The logical side of my mind says no. The emotional side, especially coming awake from nightmare/terror or hearing an eery sound in the dark says "OH GOD DON'T LET IT NEAR ME YES"

Deleted
    There could be some explanations... I'm fairly sure there are hypotheses that multiple universes can influence each other (dark energy) but those are just ideas. I like to think that paranormal occurences are one of those influences.
    Last edited by mmocf17c4d9b46; 2012-07-29 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    ... so you have no faith in something real and want us to believe a ghost story.
    I actually mis-typed that I meant to explain it in such a way that, Hmm.. I don't know what I believe in or have faith in, I know science has cold hard facts and I respect that

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it that we can prove the existence of quarks and neutrinos, something that we not only can't see, but don't even experience - yet we can't prove the existence of ghosts, something that is supposedly observed on basically a daily basis by people all around the world?

I'll tell you why, because it is a load of shit. We have the means of identifying and detecting things like this, the fact that not a single shred of solid proof has yet to be provided by the scientific community should start ringing alarm bells in the mind of any sane person. There are countless people out there hunting for true real proof of any supernatural activity, let alone ghosts, and none have succeeded. The fact that none have succeeded is not a testament to the flaws of the scientific method, it simply means that either ghosts, and every other supposed occurrence of supernatural activity is a figment of our imagination or is undetectable by the means currently available to us. Now ask yourself as a sane person, which of those two instances do you think is more likely and what percentage chance would you place on each possibility?

It would be so awesome if all this shit really existed, because it would mean the universe has some kind of magic to it, but dammit there ain't any. Everything that humankind knows and has learned should tell you that. We have enough knowledge and experience as a species at this moment in time to come to the logical conclusion that the existence of supernatural activity is simply fantasy and remnants of past legends lingering on to the present day where they don't belong, amongst many other ideas I might add so covertly.
    "The truth, my goal."

Who you gonna call?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    How is it that we can prove the existence of quarks and neutrinos, something that we not only can't see, but don't even experience - yet we can't prove the existence of ghosts, something that is supposedly observed on basically a daily basis by people all around the world?

I'll tell you why, because it is a load of shit. We have the means of identifying and detecting things like this, the fact that not a single shred of solid proof has yet to be provided by the scientific community should start ringing alarm bells in the mind of any sane person. There are countless people out there hunting for true real proof of any supernatural activity, let alone ghosts, and none have succeeded. The fact that none have succeeded is not a testament to the flaws of the scientific method, it simply means that either ghosts, and every other supposed occurrence of supernatural activity is a figment of our imagination or is undetectable by the means currently available to us. Now ask yourself as a sane person, which of those two instances do you think is more likely and what percentage chance would you place on each possibility?

It would be so awesome if all this shit really existed, because it would mean the universe has some kind of magic to it, but dammit there ain't any. Everything that humankind knows and has learned should tell you that. We have enough knowledge and experience as a species at this moment in time to come to the logical conclusion that the existence of supernatural activity is simply fantasy and remnants of past legends lingering on to the present day where they don't belong, amongst many other ideas I might add so covertly.
    The underlined part pretty much sums it perfectly.

This thread again.

Anyway, there are no spirits of dead people wandering around or anything like that. That is just a ridiculous belief. I hate it when it becomes impossible to talk about phenomenon we call "ghost" because everyone thinks right away "lol, this nutjob believes in spirits of dead people wandering around us", ect. Lets just discard that though and think about it objectively, which is from my experience very very hard for people to do.

There are NO spirits of dead people or any other mystic crap. Everything that happens in this universe has a reason and magic or anything like it is not one.

I believe there are ghosts. Why? Because I saw one once. Do I think its spirit? No. What it is, I'd like to know. No one studies it objectively. If anyone wants to talk about it they are ignored or laughed at or get angry.

I believe just halucination doesn't explain it all. Wouldnt ghosts be different for different people? Why do people tell of similar experiences in same places even if there was no prior knowledge? As far as I know, there are no mass halucinations. It is likely some sort of combination of suggestion+halucination. Something makes people think of similar things and then other thing causes the halucination, but thats just my guess.

My experience was in middle of a day while hauling some heavy luggage up some stairs and then into corridor where I saw a transparent white human shape. It looked like a woman wearing an old dress. I was running out of there before I even realized what I saw. That sight is still burned into my memory. I can't say that I don't believe in ghosts as long as that image is stuck in my head.

Deleted

So you acknowledge that it'd be awesome if this shit existed.
    You don't think it's awesome and you are against people thinking that the universe is awesome? Maybe they're delusional to you, but that 'delusion' lets them believe that there is this actually this awesome 'magic' in the universe.
    Obviously the next logical step is to take it away from them so that everyone can be as cynical and jilted as you?*

*EDIT: As pointed out by Sythari, this came off a bit harsh. I'm sorry if I offended you, I was angry reading this thread. The detraction of faith is a massive personal hate of mine after having two years of RS that was more like 'poke as many holes in every religion as we can' than a Religious Studies class.
    Last edited by mmocbf1fc229e9; 2012-07-29 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    You don't think it's awesome and you are against people thinking that the universe is awesome? Maybe they're delusional to you, but that 'delusion' lets them believe that there is this actually this awesome 'magic' in the universe.
    Obviously the next logical step is to take it away from them so that everyone can be as cynical and jilted as you?
    Be nice now

You know I swear I've seen a bowl move right before my eyes before. And who says that there isn't any proof, I've seen a lot of things on that ghost hunters show, or let me guess, all of that is faked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously the next logical step is to take it away from them so that everyone can be as cynical and jilted as you?
    The universe is already awesome without any magic or goblins involved.

Your entire post was a bag of pure awesome, but I particularly liked this opening. It's a very difficult point for anyone to defeat without immediately resorting to "wizards did it".

Deleted
    I've had two very, very odd experiences in the last year or so that I can't explain...I didn't see a ghost, but they were enough to make me think that there's much more to our existence than we have so far explained...this is one of the stories -

One saturday night, about 2am, I suddenly got very, very worried and anxious for my mother, who lives in another part of the country. The feelings became so strong that I was compelled to call her - knowing that I'd probably be waking her up...but I just couldn't help myself.

I call my mother...and yes, I woke her up...I explained why I was calling and she said "nope, everythings fine...in fact, I've had a really great day". We chatted briefly, she called me silly but was touched that I'd been worried for her.

20 minutes after we got off the phone, she called back in tears - her brother, my uncle, had just been killed.

There are many things we cannot explain, but ghosts are not the reason why they occur.

I'm disinclined to promote people believing false things just because they're fun. I'd like to be hooking up with Allyson Felix this weekend, and believing it's so might be fun, but I wouldn't encourage people to tell me it just might happen.

Yes, assuming it's the middle of night, I'm home alone, and I hear a scary noise. Ahhhh- so spooky ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I've had two very, very odd experiences in the last year or so that I can't explain...I didn't see a ghost, but they were enough to make me think that there's much more to our existence than we have so far explained...this is one of the stories -

One saturday night, about 2am, I suddenly got very, very worried and anxious for my mother, who lives in another part of the country. The feelings became so strong that I was compelled to call her - knowing that I'd probably be waking her up...but I just couldn't help myself.

I call my mother...and yes, I woke her up...I explained why I was calling and she said "nope, everythings fine...in fact, I've had a really great day". We chatted briefly, she called me silly but was touched that I'd been worried for her.

20 minutes after we got off the phone, she called back in tears - her brother, my uncle, had just been killed.
    Wow, that's a pretty unique coincidence.
    Last edited by lopk; 2012-07-29 at 01:48 AM.

Deleted
    I do, my sister saw many ghosts and I believe her.. I myself have never seen a ghost before. Or maybe I have, you'll never know! Mwhhehehe! That random guy walking on the street could be a ghost without you know! :O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The universe is already awesome without any magic or goblins involved.
    I was phrasing with his dialogue.
    It would be so awesome if all this shit really existed, because it would mean the universe has some kind of magic to it, but dammit there ain't any.
    He says how awesome it would be if this 'shit' existed. He says it doesn't therefore I assumed he thought the universe wasn't awesome.
    Last edited by mmocbf1fc229e9; 2012-07-29 at 01:53 AM.

I was phrasing with his dialogue.
    'It would be so awesome if all this shit really existed, because it would mean the universe has some kind of magic to it, but dammit there ain't any.'
    He says how awesome it would be if this 'shit' existed. He says it doesn't therefore I assumed he thought the universe wasn't awesome.
    It would indeed be awesome if magic was real. That doesn't mean the universe isn't awesome sans magic, just slightly less awesome.