Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ...
21
29
30
31
  1. #601
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I have a crazy hypothesis on why people see "ghosts":

    What you're seeing is not a lingering spirit, a wandering soul or anything like that. What you are seeing is a kind of "imprint" of a person's electrical energy. The "ghost" is not aware of you because it does not possess conciousness, it's just a kind of after-image somehow imprinted on dark matter or maybe even space-time itself.

    Electricity runs all through your body; it's in every one your muscles and your entire nervous system. This energy, when it comes into contact with an unknown event (a powerful electromagnetic force/dark matter collision/radiation/whatever) can leave a sudden, lasting imprint on the universe of that moment; maybe in dark matter, maybe in space-time fabric or possibly something else. And then sometime later something happens to cause this imprint to resonate or become temporarily filled with another form of energy and it becomes visible. When you see this "ghost" it has the form of a person, even their face because that's the shape the electricity was in their body when it was first imprinted. Even clothes store a small amount of static electicity when worn, so they can become imprinted along with the person.

    The people who claim a spirit has spoken to them are making it up. The people who see a random ghost wandering by that doesn't even notice them may be seeing what I describe above.


    Of course I'm not scientist, but I'd say this is probably more plausible than "lingering spirits returned from beyond the grave".
    Only problem with that theory is that the electricity would be measurable. And as of yet - there is still no proof of ghosts/lingering spirits/invisible pink unicorns.

    It infuriates me to know end to hear all those new age kinds of people talking about energy when what they are really talking about is space magic that isnt actual energy as the latter can be measured by instruments.

  2. #602
    I had a experience once, still haven't been able to explain it.

    Dad woke up early to ride a van he rent to the store. I woke up at about 7.30, someone was sitting on my bed, I felt the bed on the other side of where I was looking go down. I felt someone touching my hair, I was wide awake at that time I saw the clock. I turned up and wanted to look at who was in my room, there was no one there. So I had like shivers going everywhere on my skin. I decided to continue sleeping, my eyes didn't get closed, somehow I felt same thing again. My matras going down, touch on my head. I freaked out and jumped up into my bed, put on my slippers and ran down. My mom was already awake and watching television, I asked where dad was since he shoul've come home earlier. She said she tried to call him but didn't get through, his phone didn't seem to work. Obviously at that time I grew very scared, scared that the touch was my dad's ghost...since he was a hour late.

    My mom grew anxious too after I told her, then five minutes later my dad entered house and explained he was in traffic and his phone batterie died. I still haven't been able to explain what happend...

  3. #603
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    I had a experience once, still haven't been able to explain it.

    Dad woke up early to ride a van he rent to the store. I woke up at about 7.30, someone was sitting on my bed, I felt the bed on the other side of where I was looking go down. I felt someone touching my hair, I was wide awake at that time I saw the clock. I turned up and wanted to look at who was in my room, there was no one there. So I had like shivers going everywhere on my skin. I decided to continue sleeping, my eyes didn't get closed, somehow I felt same thing again. My matras going down, touch on my head. I freaked out and jumped up into my bed, put on my slippers and ran down. My mom was already awake and watching television, I asked where dad was since he shoul've come home earlier. She said she tried to call him but didn't get through, his phone didn't seem to work. Obviously at that time I grew very scared, scared that the touch was my dad's ghost...since he was a hour late.

    My mom grew anxious too after I told her, then five minutes later my dad entered house and explained he was in traffic and his phone batterie died. I still haven't been able to explain what happend...
    Can easily be your mind playing tricks on you. I mean - i experience daily my phone vibrating in my pocket but when i check it is hasnt done anything. I looked it up and apparently its not uncommon.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Vibration_Syndrome

  4. #604
    Tbh, I would already be glad if people could simply understand that our senses are not to be trusted, and not call in something supernatural because you THINK you felt or saw something strange. Hell, most of these stories are from people who were sleeping. Awake and senses is not optimal, sleeping and senses ... even less.

    Edit:

    P.s. Am I the only 1 who finds it strange we're pretty much allowed to bash ghost believers in a scientific way, but have to "RUN TO DEM HILLS!" if we do exactly the same in any religion thread? -.-*

    The core principle is the same really.
    Last edited by Led ++; 2012-11-30 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Awesomeness

  5. #605
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Tbh, I would already be glad if people could simply understand that our senses are not to be trusted, and not call in something supernatural because you THINK you felt or saw something strange. Hell, most of these stories are from people who were sleeping. Awake and senses is not optimal, sleeping and senses ... even less.

    Edit:

    P.s. Am I the only 1 who finds it strange we're pretty much allowed to bash ghost believers in a scientific way, but have to "RUN TO DEM HILLS!" if we do exactly the same in any religion thread? -.-*

    The core principle is the same really.
    I see it as well. It also depends on the religion. Its cool to bash the Jehovas witnesses and Scientologists and sometimes mormons...

  6. #606
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Tbh, I would already be glad if people could simply understand that our senses are not to be trusted, and not call in something supernatural because you THINK you felt or saw something strange. Hell, most of these stories are from people who were sleeping. Awake and senses is not optimal, sleeping and senses ... even less.

    Edit:

    P.s. Am I the only 1 who finds it strange we're pretty much allowed to bash ghost believers in a scientific way, but have to "RUN TO DEM HILLS!" if we do exactly the same in any religion thread? -.-*

    The core principle is the same really.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I see it in another way; I'm glad we at least can discuss and criticize some beliefs. So let's not give the admins any more ideas to ban these topics as well
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  7. #607
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I see it in another way; I'm glad we at least can discuss and criticize some beliefs. So let's not give the admins any more ideas to ban these topics as well
    I guess its okay as long as its not the HOLY ghost

  8. #608
    Moderator Anakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    4,565
    It's because religious discussing of any kind will always devolve into a flame war, with insults being flung from both sides. If we banned ghost threads we'd also have to ban big foot threads and everything in between, it'd get pretty crazy.

    Anyway, lets stop discussing the rules of the forums and get back on topic:
    I don't believe in ghosts at all, my friend at work was convinced their was a ghost in the house she was house sitting for a few weeks.
    After a while, I managed to convince her she was just being trolled by her GF, because she was! She'd never even seen it but is terrified of ghosts and pretty much everything, so believed it when she was told about it.

    Ghosts to me, is kind of like saying "I can't explain this, so here is an explanation" It never made sense to me. It's surely a possibility, but if you're just going to assume something then there are endless possibilities and that's why I've never believed in ghosts.

  9. #609
    The Patient Rupture91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the mountains....
    Posts
    227
    I haven't experienced any ghost/spirits encounters before so im just working on what i've heard over the years and what i've seen on videos/Ghost Hunters ( LOL )... but i personally believe that spirits exist. I believe that they're around us but i don't believe in actual " ghost " like figures. Until i see one i can't believe in the hype.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

  10. #610
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree, but I see it in another way; I'm glad we at least can discuss and criticize some beliefs. So let's not give the admins any more ideas to ban these topics as well
    This basically my take as well. I'm glad to be able to shit on an absurd belief in a way that's almost identical to my take on other absurd beliefs.

    It's amusing to see the various rationalizations people dream up with "electrical energy" and such. Really though, that's even less persuasive than just saying, "I think there might be something we call ghosts, but I don't know what it is". Inventing complex explanations that have absolutely no supporting evidence isn't really a good way to go.

  11. #611
    I'm pretty sure there are ghosts somewhere, maybe around us, but we cannot see them.
    I hear every year in the same night sounds of someone walking in my basement.

  12. #612
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are ghosts somewhere, maybe around us, but we cannot see them.
    I hear every year in the same night sounds of someone walking in my basement.
    Burglar with OCD

  13. #613
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are ghosts somewhere, maybe around us, but we cannot see them.
    I hear every year in the same night sounds of someone walking in my basement.
    Santa? (if it's @christmas)
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  14. #614
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Tbh, I would already be glad if people could simply understand that our senses are not to be trusted, and not call in something supernatural because you THINK you felt or saw something strange. Hell, most of these stories are from people who were sleeping. Awake and senses is not optimal, sleeping and senses ... even less.

    Edit:

    P.s. Am I the only 1 who finds it strange we're pretty much allowed to bash ghost believers in a scientific way, but have to "RUN TO DEM HILLS!" if we do exactly the same in any religion thread? -.-*

    The core principle is the same really.
    ^^ Agreed 100%

    Ghosts, Angels, Supernatural whatever. Until someone gets me some solid proof, I refuse to believe any account.

  15. #615
    No and no. But that doesn't mean I can't be scared shitless of them when I am alone in the dark!

  16. #616
    Epic! Jakexe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Aussie Land
    Posts
    1,721
    Well personally i'm a sceptic on the whole thing i did live at my friends place and saw some fucked up shit.

    Started with curtains fully blowing with the doors shut but it, to me, became somewhat odd when I woke up and saw a man in a coat wearing a top hat staring at me from bed and that was a dream but my mates wife had the same dream the same night and we told different people about it till it came together that we had the same guy in both our dreams. There's alot of stories from diff people about that house.

    Personally i think it's all BS and just a mess of stories changing over time to combine and create a ghost house but most of my friends believe the house is haunted.
    i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || ASUS Sabertooth Z77 || EVGA GTX690 || 16GB G-Skill || 128GB+512GB SSD (PRO/EVO) || 2TB+4TB WD Blacks || Corsair HX-850W || Custom Water Cooling
    Cooler Master HAF X || ASUS PB278Q 2560x1440 || Logitech G19 || Cyborg RAT7 || Xonar DX || BitFenix Recon Fan Controller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •