Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Black couple's marriage refused by Mississippi church

Yes - because they were black.
    No - It's not a historical anecdote. It's from 2012...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mississippi...6#.UBT_VKNO98E

They should sue, and demand compensation for the fiscal and emotional damages sustained.

As for the blatant ignorance displayed by the members of the church... They're ignorant fools, plain and simple.
    Last edited by Liara; 2012-07-29 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Rephrasing

If they and anyone who sympathizes with them would leave the church then it's goodbye church.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    They could make a lot of cash that way.
    That is what our legal system is for after all.

Deleted
    To be honest, I believe its up to the church and any reason is up to them.

If a church refused to marry me because im white or a chubby then i'd just go to another church, their loss.

People only discriminate because they want a reaction as they love the hysteria and attention it whips up.

I've learnt to ignore discrimination and then the people stop because they just make themselves look stupid by baiting and not getting the reaction they want.

Sort of meeting fire with fire, I meet ignorance with ignorance.

The world will always have racists, homophobia, discrimination against the disabled because people through human nature, some of them, are ingrained to be fearful or judgemental whether it be intentionally or subconsciously of those that are different. I know it sounds wrong but the best way to deal with these people is to deem them uneducated and ignore their existence.

maybe we should invite those death-metalheads from Sweden down there, give them a carton of moonshine, some flamethrowers and see what happens.

Well, churches do have a right to choose who they marry...
    Honestly, it should be the members who threatened the pastor who should be shamed.

really don't see the big deal, i don't agree with it but i don't agree with church anyway. it's a business and their profit was obviously more important than their values, but all of the churches are that way.

you can't make people like you

Deleted
    They should sue. They could make a lot of cash that way.

As for the blatant ignorance displayed by the members of the church... They're ignorant fools, plain and simple.
    Why is that always the reaction in the world today? lets see what I can get out of this. Ridiculous attitude.

That money comes out of the governmental pot that helps other people. It does not come out of thin air or grow on a money tree. By them suing over something they should just publicise to ridicule the church yet ignore personally they would be depriving others.

That is a ridiculous idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Technically, it is. One of the purposes of tort law is to compensate people for damages caused by others. This can definitely be considered damages (not physical, but definitely fiscal, and most certainly emotional).

Deleted
    If they and anyone who sympathizes with them would leave the church then it's goodbye church.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 09:27 AM ----------

All things aside (I don't want to make my point on the actual topic of whether it was wrong or right to refuse to marry 'insert colour' people as I am more of an atheist ) the legal system is not here for you to make money off of people. It's there to make sure the justice is served, with or without the financial benefits thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    maybe we should invite those death-metalheads from Sweden down there, give them a carton of moonshine, some flamethrowers and see what happens.
    MS isn't the place for death-metalheads. that area is pretty redneck, blacks and whites. they still dogfight, chicken fight and hunt deer to eat and not mount.

MS is the most rural state left in the USA. some parts of it look like something from the 1800s still, little shacks, no running water, no electricity, etc

around 60% of the residents still don't have a landline phone

Sheer ignorance, that is all.

those kind of religious nutjobs who act like they own their religion make me sick, I usually try not to hate people but I would love 10 mins debate with them, one of my points would be Jesus wasn't white and he got crucified by probably their ancestors. It is kinda sad that these kind of stuff still happen, maybe one day.

Deleted
    Better run racist scum...but seriously it's 2012 and this kind of stuff still exist? dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    Why is that always the reaction in the world today? lets see what I can get out of this. Ridiculous attitude.

That money comes out of the governmental pot that helps other people. It does not come out of thin air or grow on a money tree. By them suing over something they should just publicise to ridicule the church yet ignore personally they would be depriving others.

That is a ridiculous idea.
    So you feel that the money they lost due to the church's decision (pretty much most if not all of the money that went into the wedding, plus expenses sustained because of the change of venue) is not worth compensating? And what about the humiliation? Not worth compensating?

Technically, it is. One of the purposes of tort law is to compensate people for damages. This can definitely be considered damages (not physical, but definitely fiscal, and most certainly emotional).
    You didn't say compensated for damages, you said make a lot of cash.

And if you think that money can compensate for emotional wounds and that it's the government's role to facilitate that, then that is a shame.

"It's okay that you were racist as long as you can pay the price." The government should just charge for racism licenses.

I'll wait until all the information is revealed before forming an opinion. News outlets tend to skew the truth in anger people and for ad revenue. (especially when it comes to race stories).

Let's all just try to act rational and wait until more information pops up. (lol. Who am I kidding. People are just going to rage and act like they know everything.)
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2012-07-29 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    Better run racist scum...but seriously it's 2012 and this kind of stuff still exist? dang it.
    Are you talking about the church or denying marriage to people that don't look or act like the priests?

Edit: It's really hard not to make a snarky comment about gay marriage in all of this, but I suspect the bandwagon hoppers will be going there soon.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryhoudini View Post
    All things aside (I don't want to make my point on the actual topic of whether it was wrong or right to refuse to marry 'insert colour' people as I am more of an atheist ) the legal system is not here for you to make money off of people. It's there to make sure the justice is served, with or without the financial benefits thereof.
    I was being sarcastic ^_^

You didn't say compensated for damages, you said make a lot of cash.

And if you think that money can compensate for emotional wounds and that it's the government's role to facilitate that, then that is a shame.

"It's okay that you were racist as long as you can pay the price." The government should just charge for racism licenses.
    I suppose I could have phrased it better.

However, what has the government got to do with anything? They're not the ones who pay for the damages. The church is. And churches are privately funded in the US.

And of course money can't really compensate for emotional damages. But it's better than nothing.

If a church refuses to marry a couple there's nothing they can do because churches are private and can do what they please.

Church and Government have nothing to do with each other, get over it. Government shouldn't have anything to do with marriages to begin with.