Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,685

    Seriously...Why Is There No Shadowun MMO?

    Why do you think there isn't? Is it because that fps they made a few years back was such a miserable failure? Imagine you had something like the Genesis or SNES version of Shadowrun...only as an MMO...who wouldn't want to play that? Mr. Johnsons could be questgivers, other players could be the shadowrunners you team up with...Shadowrun is just ACHING to be made into an MMO...why hasn't anybody done it?

  2. #2
    I have wondered this many times myself. It is an amazing setting, but the only flaw I can think is that there is no real *enemy* as such beyond Corporations. The Xbox game was just offensive to the brand name tbh, but still, I would love this almost as much as a WH40k MMO

  3. #3
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    10,638
    I've moved this over to Video Games Discussion
    Moderator of Professions | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: No MMOs | Diablo 3 | LoL | Hex TCG | Hearthstone
    Steam | Twitter

  4. #4
    There are hardly any worthwhile Shadowrun video games to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

  5. #5
    Miserable failure!? I love playing shadowrun, people still even play it on xbox!

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Miserable failure!? I love playing shadowrun, people still even play it on xbox!
    Well I'm sure some people liked it, but sales-wise it wasn't exactly good.

  7. #7
    Pandaren Monk nalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,827
    This is probably as close as you're gonna get in the near future: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...adowrun-online
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    Thank god you posted that pic done by Da Vinci The vitruvian man because to be honest I had NOOOO Idea what a Human body looked liked therefor had NO idea what you were refering too. With that said the sylvari are made of lettuce. If I twist up some cabage leaves too look like a human, it doesnt make it monohuman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    That picture has four arms and four legs. It's not a human, so it's clearly a spider.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    This is probably as close as you're gonna get in the near future: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...adowrun-online
    Yea but that's not like an MMO "MMO" though

  9. #9
    I've never even herd of this game.

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    I've never even herd of this game.
    It was originally a D&D style pen and paper rpg set in Seattle in the future where there's no government and corporations just basically kill each other's leaders trying to put each other out of business and rule what's left of the world. In order to carry out their tasks, they use Shadowrunners which are mercenaries who use either computer hacking, magic, or straight up guns and ammo to infiltrate the corporations and steal information for whoever happens to be paying them at the moment.

    That's by no means an all-inclusive description, but it's the most basic gist of it.

    Go watch a Let's Play on Youtube of the Genesis or SNES version and you'll see what's up with it...the Genesis version is more true to the real game, but the SNES version has a better story.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Miserable failure!? I love playing shadowrun, people still even play it on xbox!
    Think it was not bad for what it *did*, but in terms of the IP, there was a helluva lot more they could and possibly *should* have done with it. It's an immersive Pen and paper RPG at it's core, wo how the heck they re-imagined it as FPS team shooter I have no idea, not least when the answer was staring them in the face. The previous Shadowrun games were very well received critically also, but I don't think any of them have ever had any major financial success.
    Guess I have just answered my own question. They might have thought "Resurrect the IP with something new, maybe it might make sales this time...". Ah well, ho hum Gief MMO pl0x :P

  12. #12
    I've often wished there was.

  13. #13
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,519
    Don't forget that MMOs are doodoo stupid expensive to make. I'd definitely give it a try if they did make one (or even just a single player game).

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sj View Post
    Don't forget that MMOs are doodoo stupid expensive to make. I'd definitely give it a try if they did make one (or even just a single player game).
    That is true, but there's a lot of really bad MMO's that aren't based off of anything and still turn profit.

  15. #15
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    That is true, but there's a lot of really bad MMO's that aren't based off of anything and still turn profit.
    They usually also have low-cost development and are usually pay-to-win. :/

  16. #16
    Man, I would play the fuck out of a Shadowrun MMO. It's one of the games I've always wished I got the chance to play but could never find a group that was interested.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Rukh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,575
    I wonder if there's some weird thing with the licensing. That's really the only thing I can think of because the setting and whatnot are pretty rad. It seems like companies would be all over that.
    Still bitter.

  18. #18
    Give it time. If CP2077 is as good as I'm hoping it is, there may be a wondrous resurgence of cyberpunk themed games. That'll be Shadowrun's moment to shine, especially if the Shadowrun kickstarter game turns out to be great as well.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Rukh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    It was originally a D&D style pen and paper rpg set in Seattle in the future where there's no government and corporations just basically kill each other's leaders trying to put each other out of business and rule what's left of the world. In order to carry out their tasks, they use Shadowrunners which are mercenaries who use either computer hacking, magic, or straight up guns and ammo to infiltrate the corporations and steal information for whoever happens to be paying them at the moment.

    That's by no means an all-inclusive description, but it's the most basic gist of it.

    Go watch a Let's Play on Youtube of the Genesis or SNES version and you'll see what's up with it...the Genesis version is more true to the real game, but the SNES version has a better story.
    Well that and the whole reason for the downfall of the US government is the re-emergence of MAGIC, which the original tribes used to conquer stuff. So it's sort of a cyberpunk modern fantasy with lots of native american overtones.
    Still bitter.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    There are hardly any worthwhile Shadowrun video games to begin with.
    Maybe, but that doesnt change the fact that Shadowrun has some awesome stories& overall lore :/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •