Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Longer time between topics

Suggestion to tone down the amount of spam threads.

Would it be good to put a longer time between able to create new threads? I would think maybe once every 10 minute, as it would give regular thread-creators plenty of time to create the thread and wouldn't be hindered by this, and the spammers are the ones that would really feel it.

Kinda like the report post, you can report one, and then wait 30 sec, and then again and so on.

Thoughts?

ps. The time on 10 minutes is ofcourse only a placeholder, but you get the picture, it should be long enough to discourage spamming, but short enought to not hinder the normal flow of posting. ds.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Best suggestion in months! I agree; no normal poster needs to be making a thread more than once every hour (I can name a few who do...), even, but 10 minutes would work to stop the spam bots, a little.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a good idea, but there's actually no built-in way to do that in vBulletin except by increasing time between all posts, which I'm pretty sure would be really annoying.

I'll talk to the devs to see if they think it's a good idea, and maybe there's a lightweight plugin we can find...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see it myself, but definitely not an increase in between-posts time. I already frequently hit that between regular moderating duties and still contributing to threads/PvM stuff. But I'd love to see 2 - 3 minutes between threads, at least. That would make it far easier to stop these guys before they fill an entire forum

I did some searching but haven't found anything that could help

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=54596

Don't know if this would help, I asked the almighty search god Google and he gave me the beforementioned page.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's unfortunately specific to a particular user, not a general setting.

I'm no php programmer, but couldn't you hack the "thread reply flood limit" module in the vB software and change it to a thread creation flood limit?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm no php programmer, but couldn't you hack the "thread reply flood limit" module in the vB software and change it to a thread creation flood limit?
    As Sunshine said, you can up the time between thread creation right now, by upping the time between posting, so they are most likely using the same one. Not sure, but I think stuff can break horrible if it gets wrong.
    Then again, I should really get me myself a vBulletin and play around with, it feels strange to have them both on the same one.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012