Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Movies] Will there ever be another epic on the scale of Lord of the Rings?

Just wondering if its at all possible to release another epic movie on the scale and magnitude of The Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or did they pretty much hit the pinnacle and theres no way for anyone to out do them? Also no the Hobbit doesnt count.

To avoid further confusion on the definition of the word "epic" Im editing in all the criteria that must be met to be considered an epic just so people arent thinking epic means any badass movie. To be considered an epic you must meet all of the following:

Begins in medias res.
    The setting is vast, covering many nations, the world or the universe.
    Begins with an invocation to a muse (epic invocation).
    Begins with a statement of the theme.
    Includes the use of epithets.
    Contains long lists (epic catalogue).
    Features long and formal speeches.
    Shows divine intervention on human affairs.
    Features heroes that embody the values of the civilization.
    Often features the tragic hero's descent into the Underworld or Hell
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-07-30 at 01:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well you'd have to find a Director (or more) and a crew who's willing to spend 5-8 years of their life on an Epic Film etc. :>
    Druid since Feb. 06

Maybe in some distant future, an epic 8 movie set named Warcraft: The Legend.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to actually see a new IP so it's very possible. Hollywood will have to get off it's re-make kick first though.

Why not, just need an epic story first. Not to compare, but currently it looks like hunger games will be going on for a long stretch, or like Harry Potter just ended was a long go for that crew. If it's worthwhile many actors, directors, and producers will be foaming at the bit to get onboard with it early.

The only thing I can even think of that would even work would be doing Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. So far I have only seen b-rated movies about those and I really enjoyed reading the books. Im surprised no one has done them yet....That steaming pile of crap called Troy does not count i file that with the other b-rateds

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Also no the Hobbit doesnt count.
    HAHAHA When I read the forum title I totally came here to say this

Why doesn't The Hobbit count? Although I don't think it'll edge out LOTR Trilogy.

As I just posted in a TDKR thread... Nolan's Batman movies edged out the Star Wars Original Trilogy for me, but even then Nolan's Batman movies still sit a fair way behind LOTR.

I honestly think it's nearly impossible to out-do the LOTR Trilogy ... They had INCREDIBLE Source Material, The Books are honestly One of a Kind, Tolkein was INSANE (In a damn good way) ... Then they had: Perfect Cast, Perfect Director, Perfect Artists, Perfect Scriptwriters, Perfect Location ETC ETC.

I would love to see something do it, because that would mean MORE BRILLIANT MOVIES But I honestly don't think it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    or like Harry Potter just ended was a long go for that crew
    Except Harry Potter wasnt really all that epic. There was no huge fight scenes other than in the last movie. It was too drawn out with too many movies. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed watching most of them but they were nothing compared to LotR. I mean just the siege of Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith are so badass nothing in any of the Harry Potter movies even remotely comes close to those.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    HAHAHA

Why doesn't The Hobbit count? Although I don't think it'll edge out LOTR Trilogy.
    Because wouldnt it basically be a prequel to The Lord of the Rings in a way? Also same author same director Im talking something totally different.

Deleted
    World of Warcraft the movie?

I doubt Lord of the Rings will ever be topped by anything in the near future, including the Hobbit, since the Lord of the Rings books were better.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    I honestly think it's nearly impossible to out-do the LOTR Trilogy ... They had INCREDIBLE Source Material, The Books are honestly One of a Kind, Tolkein was INSANE (In a damn good way) ... Then they had: Perfect Cast, Perfect Director, Perfect Artists, Perfect Scriptwriters, Perfect Location ETC ETC.
    Yea I assume thats why they won like every single Academy Award during the years they were released lol. I mean when you rack up 17 total Oscars and were nominated for 30 thats just ridiculous.

Just wondering if its at all possible to release another epic movie on the scale and magnitude of The Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or did they pretty much hit the pinnacle and theres no way for anyone to out do them? Also no the Hobbit doesnt count.
    I wouldn't say Lord of the Rings is epic. Its a Great trilogy, one of the best in the last 20 years probably. Starwars in a lot of peoples eyes was Just as epic back in the day.

So yeah I imagine there will be another Epic movie or trilogy for the next generation.

Because wouldnt it basically be a prequel to The Lord of the Rings in a way? Also same author same director Im talking something totally different.
    Ha I was just kidding And like I said I don't think The Hobbit will be better than LOTR anyhoo. They'll end up just feeling like a flow .. The Epic 12hr Extended Edition LOTR Marathon will now become a 17hr+ 'Tolkein Universe Marathon'

I know what you mean, and yea like I said above, I just don't think it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by muxx View Post
    I wouldn't say Lord of the Rings is epic.
    If Lord of the Rings doesnt fit the classic definition of an Epic then nothing does.

Begins in medias res.
    The setting is vast, covering many nations, the world or the universe.
    Begins with an invocation to a muse (epic invocation).
    Begins with a statement of the theme.
    Includes the use of epithets.
    Contains long lists (epic catalogue).
    Features long and formal speeches.
    Shows divine intervention on human affairs.
    Features heroes that embody the values of the civilization.
    Often features the tragic hero's descent into the Underworld or Hell
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-07-29 at 02:44 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quite certain there will be, sooner or later.

But it needs a much beloved story of quite grand scope. You'll need a production team that loves said story, yet not so much that they are afraid of adapting it into a movie instead of <other media>. They need to get the faith and backing of a major studio to fund them to run the production that idealy would be in one go for as much as possible.
    Then the core would have to expand with as good an expanded team as possible. So they can get sets, props, cgi etc as possible (and no one can have bad taste and thus result in anything looking of among any of those things. Since if the director is clueless with CGI it'll turn bad).

Filming crews, music creators, everything would have to be topnotch.
    Then it'd have to get good scouted environments.

After that it comes to finding a cast. That'd be up for filming one project for quite likely over a year, maybe over two. Be away from their homes for this time. And fits the roles as good as is possible.

So, will it happen again? Most likely yes.
    Will it happen again in the next twenty years? Higly doubtful.

I doubt Lord of the Rings will ever be topped by anything in the near future, including the Hobbit, since the Lord of the Rings books were better.
    To be honest, as a fictional book I'd say the Hobbit is better. It's got a better flow of story and is often more involved than LotR. It's just that it in most ways directs itself to readers of a lower age that make's it often is overlooked.
    LotR is a great work, but the style it's written in is more akin to non fiction than fiction quite often. At least that's how it always felt for me.
    Last edited by Muzjhath; 2012-07-29 at 02:42 PM.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wondering if its at all possible to release another epic movie on the scale and magnitude of The Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or did they pretty much hit the pinnacle and theres no way for anyone to out do them?
    first question - yes
    second question - no

it would be rather narrow sighted to think otherwise, so many better movies have been made, its silly to think more won't be made in the future, but then many people like the LotR trilogy more than I do, where I tend to mostly just like the first movie

and seeing as how I focus on one movie, as opposed to an "epic" trilogy it doesn't seem so "epic" to me, it was nice knowing that every holiday season there was going to be a quality movie following the story and I do miss that, that is probably as close as I get to feeling the same way about the series as you do

I think if Hollywood gave a similar budget to make the Dragonlance Chronciles you would have something on the same level. Of course you still need a quality writing team, director, production staff and actors to make it happen. The story is just as epic as LoTR.

I honestly don't think there is any movie material with such an expansive universe that can take on the epic scope the lord of the rings achieved. Tolkien's story has a backstory to EVERY character you hear named. It spans countless books and thousands of pages. Unless they wanted to do a remake, theres no chance something would ever be more "epic" than the original trilogy. Even then I doubt the remake would top it. The cast for the original was beyond amazing, and only Peter Jackson could do the job right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying it will never happen, but it won't happen until you have a story on the same scale as the Lord of the Rings with a director, cast and crew with the talent and budget to make it happen.
    Putin khuliyo