Thread: New Computer...

New Computer...

Ok so im looking to buy a new computer in the near future and ive been looking around quite a few places and ive come across a internet page that sells on ebay also. The thing i seem to notice is how cheap the pcs are for what they are... or am i just thinking they seem better than they actually are? (im not clued up on computers) Here is a link to one of the many pcs - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-COMP...ht_1864wt_1140 - Im looking in the range of around £800 - £1000 price range so feel free to look at the other computers for sale in that price range and help me out a little bit! Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeny93 View Post
    Ok so im looking to buy a new computer in the near future and ive been looking around quite a few places and ive come across a internet page that sells on ebay also. The thing i seem to notice is how cheap the pcs are for what they are... or am i just thinking they seem better than they actually are? (im not clued up on computers) Here is a link to one of the many pcs - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-COMP...ht_1864wt_1140 - Im looking in the range of around £800 - £1000 price range so feel free to look at the other computers for sale in that price range and help me out a little bit! Thanks in advance!
    No.

They advertise a geforce graphics card
    they have a guy with sun glasses
    They say "Lightning fast".

PC itself looks ok, but everything else about it screams to stay away. If you insist on buying a prebuilt, either find a well used supplier that builds to your specifications or look for a well known supplier.
    Last edited by mmoc5d21993eb0; 2012-07-31 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i7 is not meant for gaming, it's marketing that makes people believe it's the best there is because everyone thinks a higher number means it's better i7 > i5. The core difference (besides the pricetag) is that the i5 does not have hyperthreading which games don't use anyway. The whole thing is emphasised by those stars in the description. 3.8GHz is nice and fast, but like always with these ads, it doesn't tell you everything you need to know. Boasting numbers seems to make people think they're buying something super good and super fast. I'd say don't fall for the advertising traps. The i7 and that Geforce are not that cheap components themselves, so they need to cut back on some other hardware which is never a good sign.

There's nothing wrong with that Geforce card, but always ask someone with computer knowledge before you buy one of those prebuilt horrors. As you did here
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-07-31 at 04:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Heroics are heroics for a reason.. if you cant do heroics, you cant raid.. its the proper path...
    ...Blizzard has gone the mile and added LFR for those people, but nerfing normal and hc modes is just plain stupid. The Burning Legion didn't get pushed back by lining up a thousand arcane mages spamming AB. It took work work work.

I recently built my new rig, without too much detail: i5 3570 3.4Ghz, 16 GB Gskill RAM, 750W power supply, and a single Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce. This setup has taken every game I have thrown at it (on max settings) without blinking. Paid less than $1200 for the complete system. Unsure what that is in pounds though.

Prebuilt rigs are rarely as well done or as cheap as doing it yourself. You are going to get more for your money by doing it yourself IMO.
    Last edited by 4dahorde; 2012-07-31 at 04:19 PM.

The computer in that eBay advertisement is otherwise ok, except:

- i7 for gaming use is waste of money, i5 would be better
    - slow 5400rpm HDD (costs less than smaller faster one)
    - 16GB of slow generic RAM (marketing trick, 8GB faster one would be cheaper and better)
    - no Windows included in price, that's another £80
    - nothing specified of PSU, probably some no-name chinese crap
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-07-31 at 04:09 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.