Is this laptop worth the price/how good is it?

Hey guys, I found a gaming laptop for $950 after shipping and all.
    MSI
    Intel Core™ i7 Mobile Processor Technology-Core™ i7 2630 QM 2.0 ghz -2.9 ghz (MAX Turbo)
    17.3" FHD LED (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Super Glossy Display
    Mobile Intel HM67 Chipset Family
    NVIDIA GT 555 M - 1.0 GIG GDDR 5 (Dedicated Video Memory) + Direct X 11 support.
    12 GB Ram
    17.3 inch screen.
    Last edited by sctrojans1112; 2012-07-31 at 03:34 AM.

I would not buy it... unless all you want to play is WoW I wouldnt get any lower then a 560m/660m video card. Save up a little more money for a 1200-1300$ laptop and you can do a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey. . . how much would you be paying for that laptop? I can find you a better laptop for the same price most likely.

Can I have your max/min budget and what you will be using this laptop for? Thanks.

it's $899
    my max budget would have to be around $1000 and not really a min.
    the biggest thing for me is the performance and tbh it would be nice for it to be a 17.3" thanks man any help would be appreciated!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0382163

I think this laptop would probably be a better buy.

You get an i5, as i7s are typically overkill for gaming/not much benefit, in this generation at least.
    A 7200RPM HDD, as I didn't see what HDD your laptop in your OP would be, this may or may not be an upgrade.
    6GB of RAM is yes, less, but 12GB is more than you would have used/needed.
    You get an NVidia GTX 560M which is certainly a better chipset, though I was hoping I could find something better. =/

I'll keep searching and post if I find any ones that are good for gaming with AMD GPUs.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

DeltrusDisc

Basically you're downgrading the whole system with the excuse he won't be needing it soon.. maybe that's a good thing? Lol. Not everyone can afford to change laptops each year. And all that for a tad-better video card? Come on.

Got no links for you, OP, since all the sites I use are in gibberish to you! :P
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GX780-Ga...27%26rk%3D1%26
    that's what i'd be getting, i've reallly looked around and msi's usually go for 1200 yet I saw this one for only 900

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    DeltrusDisc

Basically you're downgrading the whole system with the excuse he won't be needing it soon.. maybe that's a good thing? Lol. Not everyone can afford to change laptops each year. And all that for a tad-better video card? Come on.

Got no links for you, OP, since all the sites I use are in gibberish to you! :P
    I did not intend to downgrade it, I was trying to find him a laptop with a better GPU chip....
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    This laptop is $70 cheaper than the one you linked, and from a reputable seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ST-GRAY-D...ht_3077wt_1270

Same HDD space/speed, a little less RAM (8gb compared to 12gb doesnt matter unless you're going to do a lot of video rendering), a faster CPU clock (.2GHz), and pretty much the same graphics card. The GT 555m and the 6770m perform pretty much the same.

If you are near a Microcenter though, I'd get this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0382163

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    This laptop is $70 cheaper than the one you linked, and from a reputable seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ST-GRAY-D...ht_3077wt_1270

Same HDD space/speed, a little less RAM (8gb compared to 12gb doesnt matter unless you're going to do a lot of video rendering), a faster CPU clock (.2GHz), and pretty much the same graphics card. The GT 555m and the 6770m perform pretty much the same.

If you are near a Microcenter though, I'd get this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0382163
    As for the Ebay link.... I wouldn't trust refurbished hardware, personally. But it also does not say what speed the HDD is, it could be a 5400RPM... =S

As for the Micro Center laptop, much better choice, however is almost the exact same as the one I linked.... and got flak for linking. It's pretty much the same price for lower-level parts and a slightly higher GPU, so one must wonder if he should bother. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it is the one you linked. I took the link from you, forgot to say you said it before. I just looked at it and agreed it was a really good choice.

Also, the laptop I said was good does have a 7200RPM HDD:

BASIC FEATURES
    750GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    But yeah, the original laptop he linked is refurbished, so I thought he'd be ok with refurbished things.

Alternatively... if he wants a new laptop, but isn't near a microcenter he can get this http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...1FBDB172571912

Eh >.>
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-07-31 at 05:06 PM.