Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What's a good F2P MMO?

Now that there's more so of an abundance of F2P MMOs, I was wondering which one was worth checking out. Besides Aion, mostly because I can't run it too well.

I don't mind if it has one of those "subscribe to gain more benefits" like LOTRO or EQ2, but as long as it's not pay to win.

DCUO
    Age of Conan
    Champions Online
    Fallen Earth
    Star Trek Online
    Vindictus
    Continent of the 9th
    City of Heroes

A few others. It depends on what kind of MMO you're looking for.

Phantasy Star Online 2 !

Aion is pretty solid for a F2P MMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    DCUO. The initial tier and all of the 1-30(max) content is free then it's $10/tier (which also adds some dungeons and a new power) or a $15/month sub and you get everything. Cash shop is almost 100% cosmetic, from cool new sparkly attire to character re-customization to (i think) power(class) swaps. Though it does have a (at least it seems) large population of Portuguese speakers on the US realms, though this seems to run through all f2p online game
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerlemon View Post
    Phantasy Star Online 2 !
    I'm pretty sure he wants stuff that he would be able to understand... He'll have to wait until next year for that one.

LOTRO is pretty fucking good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drofdel View Post
    Aion is pretty solid for a F2P MMO.
    Not to be a d-bag or anything, but did you read the OP about Aion? Can't run it too well D:

What's the opinion on EQ2?

I have played Vindictus and Dragonsnest both which use the same game engine and they are both pretty fun ....excellent combat . I also have an old computer . I have also heard good things about Runes of magic which is probebly one of the most popular F2p mmo's . I personally did not like Eq2 after playing wow ..it has terrible and slugish controls and bad animation ..also some graphics look ok and some look like they are done by a 5 year old with crayons .

Allods Online has SIMILAR art style to WoW, alot of fun classes and is constantly updated :P

LOTRO- Best freaking pve game on the market!! Live in Middle Earth, trust me its a blast.

DDO- Dungeon crawler with cheesy but entertaining dungeon master Yes please!!!

AION- very beautiful mmorpg and a rather good f2p game that was once p2p. Very great game Gone back to it possibly like 3 times now.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait so LOTRO is really good right now? I haven't played it in a while so I wasn't sure if went downhill.
    Hey everyone

Aion is awesome.

Also

DCUO
    Age of Conan
    Fallen Earth
    Vindictus
    Continent of the 9th
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-30 at 09:33 AM.

Deleted
    DDO is easily my favorite F2P MMO, possibly my fave MMO to be fair. I love the fact that the dungeons are more than just kill trash and kill the boss. There are loads of puzzles and challenges needed to do as you get further in to the game.

I would certainly recommend giving it a try.

You could always give Allods a look, if you want to try something built around F2P, although i personally haven't made it far into the game, so i am not sure how exactly the cash shop effects the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantor View Post
    You could always give Allods a look, if you want to try something built around F2P, although i personally haven't made it far into the game, so i am not sure how exactly the cash shop effects the gameplay.
    Allods is one of those games that I've been meaning to get back to. I tried it once and really liked the race and class choices (though how jarring was it to see the light side races all with simple cloth or fur underwear then to see the elves with their amazingly detailed lingerie?) and what little I got to see of gameplay was very WoW-inspired but with some cool new quirks.

Unfortunately at the time there were some very annoying things about the cash shop and how it effected gameplay. At the time there were some steep penalties for death that could only be gotten around with a cash shop item. This might not be a big deal for someone playing casually, but if you wiped in a dungeon you needed some cash if you wanted to continue playing...

I'm told this has been fixed, but I haven't been back to the game to see how. But I do know quite a few people for which this is their F2P MMO of choice and it always comes up in these recommendation topics.

Most of the good f2p MMO's have been put up, but if you are okwith spending a little money (As you would to unlock anything in a true f2p MMO) might I suggest Guild Wars 2? It is a fully persistent mmo, with dynamic events, action based combat, and no holy trinity. The reason I bring it up, it that despite having a box price, there is no subscription fee; so you pay once and you are done (Much like you would buy a game like Skyrim: pay once; play forever) It is an exceptionally fun and well polished game. Why don't you check it out for yourself?

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrele View Post
    Most of the good f2p MMO's have been put up, but if you are okwith spending a little money (As you would to unlock anything in a true f2p MMO) might I suggest Guild Wars 2? It is a fully persistent mmo, with dynamic events, action based combat, and no holy trinity. The reason I bring it up, it that despite having a box price, there is no subscription fee; so you pay once and you are done (Much like you would buy a game like Skyrim: pay once; play forever) It is an exceptionally fun and well polished game. Why don't you check it out for yourself?

Well aren't you just a perfect little advertisement? :P

LOTRO is definitely worth checking out.

Someone above suggested Star Trek Online.....I will have to object to that. It is one of the worst, most buggy games I've ever played. So try to steer clear of that one.

DCUO Is amazing
    Tf2
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrele View Post

It's honestly one of the first choices I had in mind, until I saw that my laptop couldn't run it according to this website.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

If you want something in the spirit of 1990 you could try NEStalgia. There's a trailer for it up on YouTube. It's certainly a niche game, though. If you don't like the old Dragon Warrior/Quest formula you won't enjoy it.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice