Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Gotta bring them for the loot, pretty much the only reason to bring melee.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    There is plenty of potential design space to make fight encounters become melee-advantageous while also having interesting mechanics (read: not patchwerk), blizzard just hasn't explored them very much.
    Such as? I'm genuinely interested in your ideas.

As stated melee can continue their rotation on the run, which means a good tank and melee group can out DPS ranged on movement heavy encounters. However there is no encounter that I can think of right now where having no melee would put you at a disadvantage.

Melee used to have better burst and shorter ramp up times.... This isn't the case anymore. Frankly ranged have been preferred since ICC....

They aren't based on mana. So besides Hunters, ranged are hassled on Yorsahj. It's not the end of the world but it's an inconvenience.

And melee were buffed around needing to move and having less uptime so..besides ultraxion trash melee have it decent enough IMO.

They're better doing dps on the run than casters. So some movement heavy fights where you can still have 100% uptime on the boss would favor melee. I don't want to say Ragnaros (because of parries and p4), but stuff like Sulfuras Smash, Engulfing Flames and moving during seeds favor melee over casters.
    Last edited by Satori; 2012-07-31 at 05:55 AM.
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might be stating the obvious but people keep repeating that "movement fights" favour melee, and that's not always the case depending on what you mean by the label.

Melee DPS are good in the kind of movement fights where the target moves with the raid. Some kinds of fights that require a lot of mobility actually favour ranged because they will have to move less (or at all), while the melee will spend half the fight running to targets. Given the latter seems way more common than the former, this is a relevant distinction.

I think Blizzard still does a pretty good job of giving fights where both melee and ranged have a chance to shine but I will say that while I can think of a lot of fights where bringing melee was a liability to the raid, I can't think of a single one where that has ever been the case for ranged (at least not in recent memory).

"Favours melee" seems to mean melee has some small advantage or does more DPS than ranged while "favours ranged" usually means "bench the melee for this one." That's really the part that kinda sucks.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-07-31 at 03:36 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    This might be stating the obvious but people keep repeating that "movement fights" favour melee, and that's not always the case depending on what you mean by the label.

Melee DPS are good in the kind of movement fights where the target moves with the raid. Some kinds of fights that require a lot of mobility actually favour ranged because they will have to move less (or at all), while the melee will spend half the fight running to targets. Given the latter seems way more common than the former, this is a relevant distinction.

I think Blizzard still does a pretty good job of giving fights where both melee and ranged have a chance to shine but I will say that while I can think of a lot of fights where bringing melee was a liability to the raid, I can't think of a single one where that has ever been the case for ranged (at least not in recent memory).

"Favours melee" seems to mean melee has some small advantage or does more DPS than ranged while "favours ranged" usually means "bench the melee for this one." That's really the part that kinda sucks.
    Well casters have it significally easyier these days. Their hughe HP pool and their oh snap skills contributed to the fading away of the glass canons.