10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamnesia.com/news/miyamot...i#.VYhqmvlVikp

whats sad now is that the 3ds may have Nintendos unique IPs, but outside of Japan mobile gaming on phones is much more popular and games on phones are reaching even higher degrees of quality, not just that but even going beyond what the 3ds will ever be able to do as they get a new model every year, plus all the needs of a phone included. It showed big time to me with federation force, Iphone/Droid games crush that graphically and have had similar gameplay....

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    http://www.gamnesia.com/news/miyamot...i#.VYhqmvlVikp

whats sad now is that the 3ds may have Nintendos unique IPs, but outside of Japan mobile gaming on phones is much more popular and games on phones are reaching even higher degrees of quality, not just that but even going beyond what the 3ds will ever be able to do as they get a new model every year, plus all the needs of a phone included. It showed big time to me with federation force, Iphone/Droid games crush that graphically and have had similar gameplay....

eh, most 3ds games simply wouldnt work at all on phones. i dont think federation force as a good example. that be like using sonic boom as evidence that 3d platformers cant be good
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Really? Now its tablets? The problem is that not even Nintendo themselves managed to create a game where the gamepad doesnt feel forced upon the user. Just think about it, why would I want a 2nd screen that forces me to take my eyes from the big screen. Its just an uncomfortable move. The only thing its good for is when the TV is occupied by someone else.

But blaming tablets for an idea that was just shit is grasping at straws. I just bought my Wii U for the games and because I never had a Wii so the backlog helpes to compensate for the lack of Wii U games. But I never considered the gamepad a good idea. Hell I wish the games where they implemented some gimmick to justify the gamepad wouldnt have done it. Now someone always has to play with the gamepad at super mario 3d world for the 3-4 times you have to blow on it. Or mandatory boost mode on super mario bros instead of just 2 ordinary players.

The Wii U failed for many reasons, but tablets doing what the gamepad does was not one of it.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2015-06-22 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post

The Wii U failed for many reasons, but tablets doing what the gamepad does was not one of it.
    Actually it was, you can argue how big of a reason it was but it clearly was a reason even if only a minor one.

Wii U R&D started long before the ipad came out, and even longer before tablets where popular. It just so happens that tablets beat nintendo to the punch on release dates. Instead of being able to hand their kids a wii u gamepad to play while company is over or watching TV parents already started handing tablets to their kids. Nintendo was on the right path with it, but pulled the punch to late.

Also speaking for myself I think games like 3DW, WWHD, Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Zombie U all made wonderful use of the gamepad. Xenoblade and Zelda also look to make wonderful use of it though I obviously have no played them yet. Claiming it has no use and is just gimmick is a flat out false statement. Watch a speed runner run SM3DW and try to do what they do without the gamepad(hint: you can do stuff on it besides the required blow or touch blocks). All of the other games I listed make wonderful QoL changes by having useful information on the gamepad without needing extra clutter on TV screen or needing to surf through menus on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has uses, but its still a gimmick, and an awful one at that, one that had a major part in why the wii u failed.

awful my arse. i can play smash bros in hd while i poop
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It has uses, but its still a gimmick, and an awful one at that, one that had a major part in why the wii u failed.
    Honestly, most interesting aspect of any current gen console to me. Just a crying shame that the Media Molecule team is doing more with the touchpad thing on the PS4 gamepad in the short time they've had it than Nintendo has one with their proper tablet gamepad since launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a lovely image.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, most interesting aspect of any current gen console to me.
    Regardless, its been a gimmick and a failure, people are interested in VR, you just can't help some people.

Thats a lovely image.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless, its been a gimmick and a failure, people are interested in VR, you just can't help some people.
    and soon, pokken fighters.

So wait, do you really think the Wii U would have been a success had it been $70 cheaper(judging by Nintendo charging $120 for replacement gamepads and pro controller being $50 msrp) and bundled with the pro controller instead of gamepad?

I see like 3-5 million more sales there tops. Which after 3+ years would still be a massive failure coming off the Wii. It's not even close to being a "major" reason why the Wii U failed.

The major reasons why the Wii U failed are 2 and obvious.

1) Shit marketing for the first year+ of systems life.

2) Shit game support for the first year+ of systems life.

Everything else is a minor reason in comparison to those which I think everyone can agree on.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-06-23 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, think I'll agree with Miyamoto rather than tech 614.

Also see Microsoft Kinect for an obvious example...

Yeah, think I'll agree with Miyamoto rather than tech 614.

Also see Microsoft Kinect for an obvious example...
    I completely agree with him. Most parents and kids probably heard "Wii U" and thought it was the same as the Wii. I mean, this isn't a good comparison, but it works a little bit. Think about the Nintendo 3DS. And the "New Nintendo 3DS". One could argue they're completely different game systems. The difference is that for the most part they can play the same games. But there will be games that only the New Nintendo 3DS can play.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Let's see.

Xbox One bundled with Kinect still sold at a pace much higher then Wii U.

Xbox One without kinect increased it's pace but still sold at a slower pace then the PS4.

So what again is your logic behind the gamepad being the biggest reason for the failure?

Also where did Miyamoto say it was the biggest reason for the failure? Since you agree with him... Or you just linked that and thought someone didn't actually already read it/would read it? All he said regarding it was that tablets took away some of the market they where going for with it and they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Also where did Miyamoto say it was the biggest reason for the failure? Since you agree with him... Or you just linked that and thought someone didn't actually already read it/would read it?
    I read this and agreed with that statement he made.
    Miyamoto believes that one of Wii U's points of failure was the confusion over the console, "I think with Wii U, our challenge was that perhaps people didn't understand the system."
    Then he follows up with statements about tablets showing up and improving rapidly.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Exactly, it comes back to my first major point of failure. Marketing for the system was crap. The Wii U looked like an accessory to the Wii to the common folk by how it was marketing front and center with the terrible name. For the first year or so when I had company over most people would look at the gamepad and say oh you bought that new controller for the wii? Seriously the entire thing was a mess.

On top of the fact there was really only NSMBU and Nintendoland and a bunch of late/crappy ports of 360 games for the better part of 8 months post launch is why the system bombed hard.

MK8 and Smash simply came too late. Even just one of them in the launch window with better marketing could have turned the fate of the system around immensely.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what again is your logic behind the gamepad being the biggest reason for the failure?
    I'm really confused where you're arguing from, because I never said it was the biggest reason for the failure, because it flat out wasn't.

"with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted.
    Ergo, a lower price point (remove the overpriced tablet) being a major factor. I agree with your other two points wholeheartedly, its just a shame you completely invented your own argument.

( I guess semantically you could have confused my saying it played a major role as playing a majority role, that wasn't the case)
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2015-06-23 at 07:18 PM.

I'm really confused where you're arguing from, because I never said it was the biggest reason for the failure, because it flat out wasn't.
    Correct you didn't. You said major reason, and I still stand by that it wasn't nor have you provided any evidence for it being a major reason. Minor one at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct you didn't. You said major reason, and I still stand by that it wasn't nor have you provided any evidence for it being a major reason. Minor one at best.
    You haven't supplied a credible reason why it isn't Ive given you Miyamoto you've given me nothing.

Xbox One bundled with Kinect still sold at a pace much higher then Wii U.

Xbox One without kinect increased it's pace but still sold at a slower pace then the PS4.

My logic was Kinect+one sold poorly, they dumped the kinect got a cheaper price point and sold better.

You haven't supplied a credible reason why it isn't Ive given you Miyamoto you've given me nothing.

My logic was Kinect+one sold poorly, they dumped the kinect got a cheaper price point and sold better.
    It sold poorly by out pacing the 360 in every regard before the kinect was dropped?

Kay.

The only part you have right is that "it sold better". It never "sold poorly". Only worse then PS4, which it still does.

You claimed you agreed with Miyamoto that the gamepad was the issue not the poor marketing or lack of games yet no where did he say that.

You're seriously off your game. You usually do much better then this with your arguments.

dropping the gamepad wouldnt have made the wiiu cheaper, as they probably wouldve went for stronger hardware.

anybody who thinks the gamepad sucks probably needs to toilet game more.

stop with the shitty fucking angry birds and play some real damn games while yer poopin!