Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I don't understand why developers continue to create combat with "auto attacks" why? It serves no purpose...
    Because it creates predictable incoming damage for players to need to handle, in addition to possibly avoiding attacks through movement, and allows for a predictable amount of outgoing damage to allow for eventual victory even with turtle builds (outside of hard timers).

Otherwise, it would create a situation where the skillcap is either too high for the average player to effectively survive combat due to taking too much damage - or a situation where skilled players can literally trivialize combat by essentially forsaking all defensive/healing abilities/items/gearing and just power down enemies.

It can serve quite a number of purposes, even if you don't like it.

I don't understand why developers continue to create combat with "auto attacks" why? It serves no purpose...
    Xenoblade suffered from boring mmo style combat, X likely will as well. The rest of Xenoblade was outstanding and made up for the boringish combat though. In the end play the game to explore an amazing world, kill giant monsters, ride in mechs and partake in the main and side stories. The combat is certainly not a selling point for the game, in fact it's the part of the game the most flawed IMO.

The combat is clean, polished and fair like good MMO combat but that's not really fun outside of some intense boss battles, for most fights it's boring but the scenery and music keep your brain occupied during the dull combat moments imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Xenoblade suffered from boring mmo style combat, X likely will as well. The rest of Xenoblade was outstanding and made up for the boringish combat though. In the end play the game to explore an amazing world, kill giant monsters, ride in mechs and partake in the main and side stories. The combat is certainly not a selling point for the game, in fact it's the part of the game the most flawed IMO.

The combat is clean, polished and fair like good MMO combat but that's not really fun outside of some intense boss battles, for most fights it's boring but the scenery and music keep your brain occupied during the dull combat moments imo.
    I actually just got a New 3DS for this game (good thing, too...my bros 3DS's slide pad broke while he was playing MH4 lol. Common flaw of the system, but most of them broke while people were playing Smash Bros. At least I can loan him my old one, heh) , since I missed out on the original Wii release. I hear nothing but good things about the story and world it's set in but what you say about the combat is also something I keep hearing. It's "okay" but not great.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Personally I see no issue with the combat, I thought it was a nice change of pace from most RPGs. I wish if anything, they added some sort of vehicle for after you've already explored an entire area so when you go back for quests you're not running so much, since even the waypoints had large distances between most of them.

And swimming was awful.

The combat though I enjoyed, it felt smooth and it worked. I have no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Personally I see no issue with the combat, I thought it was a nice change of pace from most RPGs. I wish if anything, they added some sort of vehicle for after you've already explored an entire area so when you go back for quests you're not running so much, since even the waypoints had large distances between most of them.

And swimming was awful.

The combat though I enjoyed, it felt smooth and it worked. I have no issues with it.
    I haven't played any of the Xenoblade games (yet), but none of the Xeno series games I've played (Gears and Sagas 1-3) were particularly focused on great combat as much as fantastic storytelling.

Which isn't to say the combat was terrible by any stretch; it just wasn't the strongest aspect of those games.

ill be honest, outside of kingdom hearts and crisis core i havent liked the combat in ANY rpg game, EVER.

if you play rpgs for the combat you're missing the point and anything that isnt turn based is basically as good as you're gonna get
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The tales series combat is actually pretty amazing
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The tales series combat is actually pretty amazing
    I agree in early game. Until you learn how to break the game and just spam 1-2 arts for the 2nd half

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    ill be honest, outside of kingdom hearts and crisis core i havent liked the combat in ANY rpg game, EVER.

if you play rpgs for the combat you're missing the point and anything that isnt turn based is basically as good as you're gonna get
    To each their own but KHs combat is trash to me. I would personally take any turn based combat over KH, as well as boringish mmo style combat of Xenoblade. KHs combat is flat out broken to me, cheap when you don't know what you're doing and face roll easy when you know how to exploit it. At least most combat systems boring are not are actually balanced... I definitely enjoy the KH series in spite of it's combat not because of it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-10-04 at 01:42 PM.

I agree in early game. Until you learn how to break the game and just spam 1-2 arts for the 2nd half
    You mean like-

Skip to 11:30, spoilers of course to anyone else, but just don't click it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You mean like-

Skip to 11:30, spoilers of course to anyone else, but just don't click it then.
    Good grief, they should have just put wings on that guy; he spent as much, if not more, time in the air as he did on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Taojnhy View Post
    Good grief, they should have just put wings on that guy; he spent as much, if not more, time in the air as he did on the ground.
    He is the rapture himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I actually just got a New 3DS for this game (good thing, too...my bros 3DS's slide pad broke while he was playing MH4 lol. Common flaw of the system, but most of them broke while people were playing Smash Bros. At least I can loan him my old one, heh) , since I missed out on the original Wii release. I hear nothing but good things about the story and world it's set in but what you say about the combat is also something I keep hearing. It's "okay" but not great.
    I still don't understand how people break those slide pads as I abuse the hell out of all of my 3DSs I owned (I bought each model including the 2DS as they came out, I am a Nintendo fanboy after all :P )and my New 3DS as well. Only thing i can think of is people are applying pressure to the side of the pad while sliding it around. Maybe they should have mad the pad more stocky like the original NES Max pad style pad.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I am convinced that despite being the largest market for Nintendo, they hate America. The animal crossing binder can only be obtained at their Nintendo World store in NY after buying an expensive bundle. The bundle itself is not exclusive, but its the only way to get the regular 3ds in America. I really wonder why they do these things to North America.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I am convinced that despite being the largest market for Nintendo, they hate America. The animal crossing binder can only be obtained at their Nintendo World store in NY after buying an expensive bundle. The bundle itself is not exclusive, but its the only way to get the regular 3ds in America. I really wonder why they do these things to North America.
    Oh, so you're saying for once Nintendo World has something new in stock?

Every time I go there, even if it's a year later, the only thing that really changes is the decorations. Usually it's the same merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    NoA is just incompetent and thinks "less options" is better for the market then Japan where they get "more options".

Hopefully they get someone knowledgeable about the market to take over for NoA, Reggie would be fine if he actually had power and was more then just a PR guy. Iwata was CEO of NoA which should have never happened, even though I love the guy. Not sure who is calling the shots right now but the incompetence continues.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/5/945...bert-late-show

The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses orchestra will be the musical guests on the October 13th showing of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015...north-america/

All three Mii Fighter amiibo are to be exclusive to Toys-R-Us in the U.S.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/5/945...bert-late-show

The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses orchestra will be the musical guests on the October 13th showing of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
    Saw the whole show live a month or so ago. It was one of the best musical events I've attended in my life.
    BAD WOLF

Because the retro 3 pack gamestop exclusive turned out sooooo well NoA (it didn't they are every where, gamestop can't get rid of them). People have been importing for months for almost the same price of a regular amiibo so why do this?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    NoA is just incompetent and thinks "less options" is better for the market then Japan where they get "more options".

Hopefully they get someone knowledgeable about the market to take over for NoA, Reggie would be fine if he actually had power and was more then just a PR guy. Iwata was CEO of NoA which should have never happened, even though I love the guy. Not sure who is calling the shots right now but the incompetence continues.
    The problem is that both Iwata and Reggie are basically Nintendo puppets, they have never had sway in the goings on and decisions that come from head office, and neither of them has ever had the balls in their careers to tell the people above them what the markets want, because they are oblivious to it themselves. Reggie is a PR guy, but as a PR guy he is not only supposed to announce new shit, he is supposed to listen to what consumers tell him, because the customer is often right.

It has been obvious time and time again that the NoA management team has failed to determine what the market wants so they can't convey that to their bosses. It is just like their unwillingness to actually get games localized that people have been demanding for years. Earthbound is one of their main one's, and many of the Fire Emblem games never got translated or took forever, same goes for their unwillingness to support Square Enix in getting the Dragon Quest games on the 3DS localized. People demand shit and Nintendo ignores them, then they announce garbage like those two new Metroid games for the 3DS and try to tell people that is what they wanted. Federation Force ain't fucking close to what people wanted from a portable Metroid game, and the pinball game seems like a retarded idea. Oh and hey, Star Fox Zero got delayed because it was shit at E3 and people hated the demo!

Professional decision making is being done at Nintendo I see....

how the hell is it nintendos job to localize square enix games?? thats dumb. dragon quest isnt yokai watch tendo isnt going to pay to publish it themselves
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552