Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Tempted to try a set up with the swinging mace, tar, barricades, trap reset trinket, arrow traps. It was one of the strongest set ups depending on the map in the original but with all the options available im yet to try it
    I was a huge proponent of the Swinging Mace in #1, but for #2, they're a waste, imo. Haymakers are infinitely superior, and I haven't found a use for Trap Reset. I find Mana Rage Trinket, among others, infinitely superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    My experience so far is that with the ability to reset all your skulls whenever you want to, you should be able to configure your setup on a level by level basis.
    Yeah, but the problem is that on Nightmare you don't get a break. You *only* get a 3 second "break" after each level. For endless, you get proper breaks until about wave 25 or 30. Then you only get 3 seconds, like Nightmare.

I have been playing solo on War Mage difficulty, Apprentice is too easy on that level and I want to maximize my skull count.
    Agreed. Well, if you want advice, what I did was this: buttloads of archers at the rift. I'm talking guardian limit. Then add some tar and barricades near them, because Hunters will come and attempt to destroy them. From there, fortify as much as possible, and you should be okay. Of course, I've only done this on co-op, and I imagine that 4 spawns is a nightmare to do alone. Just holler if you'd like help. I've 5 skull'd every normal mode, and all but one Nightmare level (classic, the Finale stage, which I'm hesitant to do. It's painful).

Wish there was somewhere I could view all the information for traps.

Arrow traps, Haymakers, Spiketraps (with slow) with archers in the back should be strong. The passive from the trap reset trink is fairly useful. It's good how there isn't just one typical build now and you find yourself changing the build depending on the map.

Wish there was somewhere I could view all the information for traps.

Arrow traps, Haymakers, Spiketraps (with slow) with archers in the back should be strong. The passive from the trap reset trink is fairly useful. It's good how there isn't just one typical build now and you find yourself changing the build depending on the map.
    Tar traps seems better than spike traps in my opinion, and costs the same when upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Tar traps seems better than spike traps in my opinion, and costs the same when upgraded.
    Im seeing it as damage + Slow > slow due to the haymakers stunning them in place It would make the tar traps a bit redundant

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Beat Crush on War Mage, lost 9 rift points but that was it, once you get guardian capped and have loads of tar pits down along with some spring traps near the north and south door ways, the rest is pretty easy.

Im seeing it as damage + Slow > slow due to the haymakers stunning them in place It would make the tar traps a bit redundant
    Spike traps don't have 100% uptime.

I personally find it best to build a checkerboard out of Brimstone and Tar Pits.

Just tried a new build for nightmare maps and enjoyed the variation immensely -

Crossbow (damage/mana headshots), Ice Amulet (left click buff), Wind Belt (left click buff), Lightning Ring (extended storm), Mana Rage Trinket (both), Defense Trinket (both), Rift Defender Trinket (both), Healing Well (heal/refill), Brimstone (mob amount/reheat), Barricade (cost/damage reduction).

I just stack barricades to funnel wherever and literally cover the floor with brimstone. Healing wells all around my "base". Then I just use crossbow and its stun bomb and wind belt to push back the large clusters that get funneled (or off ledges). Lightning storm is up 100% of the time at my funnel point eliminating sappers that actually make it past the floor of brimstone. Ice amulet is for large mobs and gnolls. Crossbow head shots keep my mana full yet in emergencies or packs of gnolls/elementals I just use the mana rage trinket or Rift defender trinket for the AOE stun. The other trinkets are self explanatory.

It's a fun alternative to trap city even though I do love me some intricate trap makeups.

ps - fuck crunch on nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Crossbow (damage/mana headshots), Ice Amulet (left click buff), Wind Belt (left click buff), Lightning Ring (extended storm), Mana Rage Trinket (both), Defense Trinket (both), Rift Defender Trinket (both), Healing Well (heal/refill), Brimstone (mob amount/reheat), Barricade (cost/damage reduction).
    And no Tar Pits? I dunno, it works for you, but I couldn't imagine this setup. You have 3/10 things I pick. I go in a completely different direction. =p

ps - fuck crunch on nightmare
    Really? I thought it was the easiest nightmare map of them all, surprisingly. Me and flarcede 5 skulled it on our first try. They give you waaaaaaay too much money for that map. The NM map "Finale" looks tough, though. It's my last one to do for 5 skulls on every map.

Anyone else that thought Nightmare was a lot easier than normal?

Guess it's because you finally have your trap setup ready and upgraded because me and a friend did all of nightmare in 1 sitting and only had to do 1 level again because my friend died to sappers, got 5 stars on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    Spike traps don't have 100% uptime.

I personally find it best to build a checkerboard out of Brimstone and Tar Pits.
    I'm a deep fan of two rows of tar, one row of floor scorchers, repeat.

Edit: Archers and dwarfs seems like a bad choice in endless, unless you can put them somewhere mobs can't get to while still being effective. When there stops being go breaks, they are pretty much endangered.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-08-07 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    Anyone else that thought Nightmare was a lot easier than normal?

Guess it's because you finally have your trap setup ready and upgraded because me and a friend did all of nightmare in 1 sitting and only had to do 1 level again because my friend died to sappers, got 5 stars on the rest.
    I wouldn't say that they're easier, but they weren't difficult. I had to redo three of them, because of deaths / dumb mistakes on our end. Keep in mind, as you said, we have mostly everything upgraded, and we know what's coming, when, how, and how to effectively combat everything.

And looks like we have a new patch. I wonder what happened. I'll post as soon as I can find patch notes.

Edit: Patch notes:

Patch Notes for 8-7-2012

Fix for baricades on MirrorImage
    Trap grid/pathing adjustments in various levels
    Fixed a conflict with Shield Orcs and Spring Traps that caused the orcs to not be thrown properly
    Fixed the drop down menu for video options so that it wouldn't extend off the screen
    Fix for kill amount bonus skulls getting regranted on level retry
    Adjustments to the UI to address postgame hitches
    Fixed the 100% CPU problems
    Adjusted anti-aliasing options in menu to display an "Off" setting.
    Fixed combo point bug with the Grinder. It now awards combo points properly.
    Voice packet tweaks for in-game chat.
    Fixed Bilebat perma-puke.
    Various localization and string changes.
    Adjustments to Mouse Sensitivity slider to broaden the range of sensitivity
    Worked on a bug that would occasionally cause the Sorceress's charge attack to fizzle out inappropriately. There are still edge cases that we'll continue to investigate, but this should largely fix the issue.
    Fix for special characters in leadboard display names
    Fixed a bug that prevented Bilebats from shooting through Boulderchutes
    Added an option to use the command "NoAlienFX" in user.cfg to de-activate keyboard light effects for the game. This also may fix some game launch issues for Alienware users.
    Added an option to use the command "-voice" in user.cfg to disable in-game voice chat entirely. Once the game's Voice Chat is disabled, players can use Steam's voice chat options.
    Source: http://www.robotentertainment.com/fo...Notes-8-7-2012

Can't guardians be sold in endless mode, only during the go breaks that disappears after Wave 25?

Can't guardians be sold in endless mode, only during the go breaks that disappears after Wave 25?
    You can sell them (if alive) at any point during breaks (including the three second breaks). You cannot, however, sell dead guardians at any point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    You can sell them (if alive) at any point during breaks (including the three second breaks). You cannot, however, sell dead guardians at any point in time.
    This man speeks the truth. Personally I like keeping guardians in their own section completly safe from danger.

On topic.. How are Dwarf guardians? I havn't actually even touched them.

This man speeks the truth. Personally I like keeping guardians in their own section completly safe from danger.

On topic.. How are Dwarf guardians? I havn't actually even touched them.
    Dwarfs are pretty good, but in endless, I've dropped guardians, since they are a lot more than useless when they are down for good past Wave 25.

Failed experiments:

1) Guardians.

2) Grinders. They seemed like a good idea, and they do kill anything that isn't an ogre, troll, flying, or Earth Lord, but that leaves you to kill all these things, and at Wave 40 or so, you're doomed. At least in Hidden Gulch.

For Endless Coop:

1) Crossbow

2) Crossbow

3) Ring of Lightning

4) Flame Bracers

5) Tar Trap

6) Arrow Wall

7) Floor Scorchers

8) Healing Trinket

9) Rift Defender Trinket

10) Haymaker

11) Brimstone

12) Spore Mushroom Trap

The high score wave we've got to was 42 (Hidden Gulch). I bet you can get to the 50's on some maps "easily", when it's not a map with flying mobs. They make everything soooo much harder.

Anybody else played Endless Mode Hidden Gulch?

(Note: The above setup is not tested yet, and is made after the Wave 42 Hidden Gulch thing, with Grinder tactic.)
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-08-08 at 12:11 AM.

And no Tar Pits? I dunno, it works for you, but I couldn't imagine this setup. You have 3/10 things I pick. I go in a completely different direction. =p
    Yeah this was just a random set up not using traps as a method winning. I'm personally a trap guy who loves intricate inventions using traps but in this case I tried something different and it worked hilariously easy and was actually fun.

And yes, I find crunch to be tough on nightmare even though most of nightmare was actually quite easy compared to OMD1.

I find those weapon/trinket mainly builds super "meh". A weapon, a magic item, and a trinket should be enough for both sides, I'd be sad to see less than six traps on the map, when traps are so fun and build combos, which gives more money, and are super awesome.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-08-08 at 03:25 PM.

I find those weapon/trinket mainly builds super "meh". A weapon, a magic item, and a trinket should be enough for both sides, I'd be sad to see less than six traps on the map, when traps are so fun and build combos, which gives more money, and are super awesome.
    Yeah, they're not when you're on wave 59.

"Fun" and "super awesome" are subjective. I find it fun and super awesome when my partner freezes solid 20+ Orcs, and I shatter them all instantly with the Alchemist's Satchel.

Other than the Classic level "Finale", all of the non-endless maps are cake on Normal as well as Nightmare difficulty. Whatever you select should be viable.

Yeah, they're not when you're on wave 59.

"Fun" and "super awesome" are subjective. I find it fun and super awesome when my partner freezes solid 20+ Orcs, and I shatter them all instantly with the Alchemist's Satchel.

Other than the Classic level "Finale", all of the non-endless maps are cake on Normal as well as Nightmare difficulty. Whatever you select should be viable.
    Got to Wave 60 on Crossfire last night. Two warmages, with the following builds:

Me: Crossbow, Ring of Lightning, Rift Defender Trinket (freaking awesome for endless), Haymaker, Barricade (three barricades and we never used it again, sadface), Zapper (It's damage output is awesome for the later endless modes, still not sure if it's better than arrow wall, arrow walls damage feels very low later on).

Partner: Crossbow, Flame Bracers, Healing Trinket, Tar Trap, Brimstone, Spore Mushroom (could probably be used more efficiently than we did it).

Crossfire is probably the easiest Endless map for a few reasons.

1. It's a castle map, which means rifts heal.

2. No flying creatures that makes everything harder (Seriously, Frostbats and Thunderbats are cruel).

3. Allows you to put some barricades up that makes the mobs on one side take the long road.

4. Not too big, not too small, allows for a lot of traps to be placed (under the bridges are giant killspots).

5. The orcs walk a simple path, and you can easily get over and help on the other side.

Deleted
    Heya, my coop buddy got bored of this real fast and I now have noone to play random games with! If anyone fancys a few games sometime add me to steam - Watson767.

Ive completed everything nightmare apart from some classic, stuck on The Squeeze atm :/ but would be willing to play anything. Just love killing orcs