Thread: PC Help

PC Help

Trying to build a new gaming rig, have this setup so far but Im very new to this so Im wondering about the motherboard and CPU cooler, also what decent monitor I should get ideally 24inch or something.

Zalman Z11 High Performance Gaming Case
    Intel Core i5 3570K Processor overclocked to 4.8GHz
    Akasa Nero 3 CPU Cooler
    Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
    GeForce GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card
    8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
    Samsung Blu Ray / DVD-RW Combi Drive
    240GB Mushkin Chronos SSD
    2000GB SATA Hard Disk
    700watt OCZ StealthXstreme PSU

Deleted
    Spec looks fine to me. The P8Z77 is a decent mobo, the PSU and mobo will allow you to SLI in the future.

I don't know what your budget is but Asus do really good monitors aswell: http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG278H/

Deleted
    Don't pay for a Blu-Ray drive unless you actually need it.

The PSU is mediocre, they're pretty "hit or miss" units.

Where are you buying? (country)

What's your total budget approx.?

buying in the UK looking at around £1000-1200 budget wise but ideally closer to £1000.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.73 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.91 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£108.98 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.13 @ Amazon UK)
    Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£149.97 @ Dabs)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£330.98 @ Dabs)
    Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.53 @ Dabs)
    Power Supply: OCZ 650W ATX12V Power Supply (£69.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£12.95 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £985.36
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-30 19:10 BST+0100)

Add whichever HDD for storage you prefer, I was going to add a WD caviar Black as I'm not a fan of the Seagate drives but it's £103 for 1.5TB, if you need that much storage pick a drive you're comfortable with.

I changed the SSD to a Samsung 830, it's one of the most reliable and best performing driving out there and the price was good.

Changed the Optical Drive to a DVD drive, if you actually need a Blu-Ray drive then change it to one you like.

I kept the PSU brand OCZ but got you a modular unit and better quality then the Stealth unit, there is enough power for SLI if you want to add another GPU later on.

I kept the case the same if you like that one. If you want some alternatives around the same price point take a look at either of these:

NZXT Source 220
    NZXT Source 210 Elite

I would personally stay away from an OCZ PSU and go with something more like Corsair or Seasonic. Looking at reviews around the web that CPU cooler is a low to mid end and does good for about that. I wouldn't put my money on that thing cooling compared to something like a CM 212 or one of the Corsair H series. I would also get 12800 1600mhz Ram. G skill, Corsair, and Kingston HyperX are 3 good brands. Do you really need a Blu ray drive, if you have a ps3 its worthless lol plus you need to cross your fingers it comes with Blu ray playing software. I would stick to a crucial m4 or samsung 830 for the SSD. Other than that looks fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's safe to stick to well-known PSU brands, it's also safe to pick particular models if they're proven to be decent - the OCZ ZT 650w is actually a damn decent PSU judging by both reviews and Newegg feedback, for £69 it's a solid deal. As for CPU-cooler...it's tough to say. Just the installation of coolers can make a difference in temps, I wouldn't tell someone to *straight-away* go for a 212+ instead of a U12P since both are excellent performers for their price. I mean hey, I'm an ex-212+ owner but I had the opportunity to install a U12P for a friend and it was a dream.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-07-30 at 11:26 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze